Virtual console might be a scam!

radical said:
1) Emulators are not legal unless you own the game and have it in your possession at the time you play. If you don't, it's a crime and it's punishable by law.
Everyone says this but I don't think that it's ever been litigated or decided. MP3.com was shut down when the court concluded that downloading a copy of a CD was illegal, even if you prove that you already own it. Some "game copy" sites out there allow you to download a copy under the pretext of backing up games you own. I don't even know if that's allowed in the EULA of most console games.

Please point me to where it says that you can possess a copy of a ROM file.

Please lets stop this legal crap
Also /r/ thread lock in order to stop this thread

I really dont see how its a scam, the prices are pretty similar to what you would pay for those games here, oh and btw notice how you dont buy a VC "console" to run the VC games/that makes it cheaper.

Its a perfect way for nintendo to make money on older games, iv purchased Super Mario Brothers, im also going to get the 3rd one.

I think its heaps of fun, half of these games would be a huge struggle to find

EMULATORS ARE NOT ILLEGAL!!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE REALIZE THAT?!?!?!?

Seriously, emulators and completely and 100% LEGAL. Roms are LEGAL as long as you back them up YOURSELF. Any non-commercial rom you might download from the internet though, is ILLEGAL!

masonb15 said:

Seriously, emulators and completely and 100% LEGAL. Roms are LEGAL as long as you back them up YOURSELF. Any non-commercial rom you might download from the internet though, is ILLEGAL!

*Uses illegal roms* lol, jk

But, we ARE talking about roms downloaded from the internet, illegally. Not ones you make yourself for yourself.

Also, yeah I accidently said Emulators instead of Roms earlier.

I know a lot of people don't care if it's legal or not.
I just try and stick with the original console, 'cause the controller setup, but if it's near impossible for me, I'll get a remake of the game, or the VC version.

giraffe304 said:
Virtual console is a scam. You can download n64 emulators and other emulators that allow you to play those games for free!

Don't be an idiot.....your stance is that since there are ILLEGAL software downloads on the internet, Nintendo giving us fully legal downloads is a scam? *LMAO*

You're....12, correct? *LOL*

masonb15 said:

I found the following quote on wiki.. .. .. ..
"However, in the U.S. it has been illegal since 1983 for a user to create their own backups of video game ROMs onto other cartridges. This was decided in the court case of Atari v. JS&A. JS&A manufactured a "game backup" device that allowed users to dump their Atari ROMs onto a blank cartridge. JS&A argued that the archival rule allowed for this. The court disagreed, noting that ROM media was not subject to the same volatility as magnetic media (for which the law was created). Thus, not being so relatively vulnerable, ROMs were not applicable under section 17 USC 117(a)(2)."

vasco said:
Just a thought... If you buy a Virtual Console game... than you own the game, THEN you'll be able to play it on a PC emu ???????
Sorry you DON'T own the game when you download it to VC.

Nintendo specifically states you're paying for a LICENSE TO USE the game- you're not buying a copy of it.

I didn't examine the agreement too closely but I'm sure it closes the loophole that would allow you to legally play PC Emulators just because you downloaded it on VC....

Back