Virtual Console Multiplayer Gamecube Controllers WONT WORK!

Wii-Got-Wii

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
Wii Online Code
7481-0063-9618-2227
I'm not sure if this should be posted in this section. If not please move it to the correct one. Well i bought a few games on the Wii shop Channel. I got Mario Bros. which can use the Gamecube controller, Wii remote or Classic Controller. Me and my brother play with 2 wii remotes usually. One of the remotes died so we played with one remote and one Gamcecube controller. That worked fine. My camecube controller works fine when playing the wii EXCEPT for when i Bought Mario Kart 64...I didn't have a Classic Controller so i tried using 2 Gamecube controllers. The first one worked...the second one didn't!!! I tried it on other games and i realized that i can't use more then 1 Gamecube controller on Virtual Console!!! I tried it on mario and same Deal!!!! Im 100 % sure its not the controller because it works, i used it on other games single player but not multiplayer!!! What is going on?!?! Is it something i'm doing wrong, is it my Wii or is Nintendo a complete rip off and is trying to get me to buy a classic controller? Please someone respond quickly. This is my second time posting this sorry i found this section more suitable.

thats not cool....
i was planning on getting gamecube controllers for this same thing.. mario kart etc...
maybe have to get the real classic controllers. :<

Yes but someone else just confirmed that it works with more then one on his system !!!! Ive been to a few sites that say the same! What is up with my wii??!?!

Wow, that sucks, hard. Buy a classic controller, they feal almost exactly like a SNES controller beside from the bulky edges of the SNES controller. I played 2p on super mario world with my Classic Controller and a GC Controller so it must only be when you use 2 GC's.:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Ok an update on the problem. I think the Wii won't use a 3rd party controller on the virtual consoles. One of my controllers will work (the original Nintendo one) but the 3rd party one won't work on Virtual console at all even though i will work on the Gamecube games using wii..>!!!!?!?!

Wii-Got-Wii said:
Ok an update on the problem. I think the Wii won't use a 3rd party controller on the virtual consoles. One of my controllers will work (the original Nintendo one) but the 3rd party one won't work on Virtual console at all even though i will work on the Gamecube games using wii..>!!!!?!?!

I've heard that before, so it doesn't surprise me. It sucks though and I wonder what the problem is.

My 3rd party controller (a GameStop turbo controller with lights) won't even work for some of my GCN games.

All of my controllers I bought from Nintendo work for multiplayer games, though.

MadCatz products were all put together with scotch tape anyways. I bought a MadCatz memory card that had like 1000+ memory and had all my memory on it. I have like 50 Gamecube games too. One day I plug it in and it needed to be reformatted meaning if you do you losr all your data. I didn't in hopes it would come back but my little bro did it. I think Nintendo is doing us a favor by making third party accessories unavailable.

Something must be wrong with your Wii or controller. I played Mario Kart 64 with a Classic, my sister had the Gamecube controller, and my Friend had the Mad Catz Macro Gamecube controller and we were fine. Did you plug a controller in the first player slot? If so, remember the Wii takes up the first slot so you can't have two one players

Last edited:
usualy third party controller doesnt work on the wii,,some does but there are not always reliable...so just get a 3 nintendo one....if you want to play 3 at the same time.....

I've been using two classic controllers for players one and two, and two nintendo wavebird wireless controllers for players three and four, on mariokart 64
with no problems at all, just go original gear and everything will be fine. I even got an original in the component cable, just incase the quality wasn't there in the aftermarket one. Paid double the price for original but may be worth it?

If your Wii mote is on during any VC game the Wii will think the remote is player 1 instead of the GC controller.

I use two gamecube controllers, both after market and both work fine! One is a madkatz and the other is one made exclusively for ebgames (don't remember the name.) Both work fine. I even have a madkatz gamecube memory card and it works just fine. Maybe I lucked out?

Back