Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Virtual Console Points Card

Discussion in 'Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSIWare' started by Mansfield Hot, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mansfield Hot

Mansfield Hot WiiChat Member

Has anyone else been buying the Virtual Console Points Card? I bought one today for my friend for Christmas. Which brings me to my next point... Don't buy one at Best Buy because they are $23 plus tax. I just bought it because I was already at Best Buy and I don't really care about the extra $3. I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone else. Personally I really think the only purpose of this is to use it as I did, which is a gift card for the Wii. Otherwise, don't waste your time buying one of these especially at Best Buy.

P.S. They hire anyone at Best Buy. Today, when I went to purchase the card for my friend the guy at the register asked me what it was and I told him. Then I had to explain for the next three minutes what the Virtual Console exactly was. I don't mean something simple like "Basically means you can download classics from NES, SNES, N64, TurboGrafix and Genesis". I was telling him the ins-and-outs "Yes, you can download the games to the console.... Well if the games have no more space on the console they can all be transferred to an SD, but it will only work with the console it was download from.... Wii Points is like Nintendo money...etc.". It was terrible. It's like you work at Best Buy you should know some of this at least pretend you know, by repeating Xbox Live information. Same things happens at GameStop all the time.

So that's my story. Even though you didn't ask for it, you got it.

2. unluckylink13

unluckylink13 Member XIII

Wii Friend Code: 0554-8372-1002-5500
    0554-8372-1002-5500
    I've noticed that they don't know much about their products, but that's not the case for all of them, haha.

$23 for 2,000 points? That's crazy. I'm glad I just buy them online. You don't have to pay the extra $3 everywhere, do you?

3. csiguy4u

csiguy4u WiiMaster

It's cheaper to buy Wii Points directly off the Wii Store since there is no sales tax (at least in my area).

4. ericlewis91

ericlewis91 im McLovin

Wii Friend Code: 6031-8713-1077-8188
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    future shop 26.99!

5. Haz

Haz Nintendo Encyclopedia

Is Best Buy like an American version of a UK Woolworths?

6. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

yeah i was looking around for wii stock around before launch and talked to someone at BB and they thought I was talking about the PS3... then once I told them no not sony, they were oblivious until I said "the new nintendo"

7. Mansfield Hot

No you do not. Everywhere else like Target, GameStop, Circuit City, etc. Are all $19.99, but I guess Best Buy is just special.

#7 Mansfield Hot, Dec 5, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  8. Mansfield Hot

If I was at that store today I probably would have paid that. I don't really care it's not for me. $23...$27.. whatever to make my friend happy.

9. Mansfield Hot

No, it's not. I miss Woolworth's they used to have them in the US, but the US sucks and does not have A LOT of good stores that it used too. Best Buy is basically an electronics stores that just sells electronics. Basically like Target or Woolworth's electronic section, but way bigger.

10. Mansfield Hot

Haha! I hate that. It's funny because my friend works at EB Games and she always tells me about the dumb people that come in. One guy came in one day and asked if they had Final Fantasy III (the new DS one) and my friend said that they had it in stock. Then he says to her "Yeah! I remember when this **** (the Final Fantasy series) came out on the Playstation!" and then my friend says "Final Fantasy has been out since Nintendo". He felt then felt stupid, paid and left. Haha.

11. lloyd_yayo

lloyd_yayo Nintendo 4life

Wii Friend Code: 7527 1826 6337 6464
    7527 1826 6337 6464

ha aite, just gotta say, i work at bestbuy, and we're trained to know OUR respective department, so if u were checkouted by a casheir, then he/she wouldnt know what that stuff (or anything else for that matter) unless they have intrest in that stuff. as for gamestop, theres no reason they shouldnt know. oh and just to brag i get wii point cards for $14.36 :D

12. csiguy4u

csiguy4u WiiMaster

I agree. . .generally very few Best Buy employees are more knowledgeable about their products than those of us who actually have an interest in electronics/pc's/video games. Most Best Buy employees are just smart enough to fool the average consumer into buying something more than they really want/need.

13. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

yeah but they redirect us to the games if we have a quesition concerning that feild

14. oldschool

oldschool WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2904-8398-4027-1949
    2904-8398-4027-1949
    most common price in Ont, Canda, seems to be $24.99 which is about $21.86 US. But HMV sells theirs at $29.99. Our sale tax here is 14% (provincal and federal together).

I'm just waiting a game that I really want comes out. I'm hesitant to buy certain games like SimCity, MarioCart, or GoldenEye, because I know that similar games will come out on the Wii eventually that will make full use of the Wii features.

15. lloyd_yayo

lloyd_yayo Nintendo 4life

Wii Friend Code: 7527 1826 6337 6464
    7527 1826 6337 6464

haha gotta keep it real, most people are like that. not me doe, i always try to talk people into the best deal for them, stuff on sale, etc. and i know a good amount of the whole store.

16. Mansfield Hot

I feel like people really should know at least a little something about everything when you work at a store. I mean let's say you work in the television department that information can carry over into computers (ex: LCD screens, TFT screens, etc) or Video Games the resolutions the consoles offer 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. I know that those people are not trained specifically in other departments, but you should because that is what being a salesman is about. Thank God I don't have to work that kind of job though.

I've been to Best Buy and dealt with the sales people that try to "help" you, but they really want you buy something and I always turn down help because I know I know more than them. Sometimes I hear their sales talk with other GULLIBLE customers and I swear they just say model numbers and high performance ranges and best bang for your buck speeches and people but something they know nothing about. Like 71 year old women (the ones that know nothing about electronics) buying a 7.1 DTS Home Theatre System.

17. Mansfield Hot

That is what you should do as an honest sale representative. Give them the basics of what the product can do and get them a great product and deal.

18. Redan499

Redan499 Banned

Wii Friend Code: 0213-2291-6794-7610
    0213-2291-6794-7610
    All of the GameStop and EB Games retailers sell the 2,000 Wii Points cards for $29.99 not including tax. Its a huge rip-off.

19. ocdan

ocdan Pastafarian

wow, your better off just buying the points with a cred card off the shop channel

20. csiguy4u

csiguy4u WiiMaster

You mean all of the GameStops/Eb Games sell the 2,000 Wii Points cards for $19.99, but you have to pay tax.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=790008