Virtual Console

phimuajedi69

WiiChat Member
May 9, 2006
NC/SC, US
Gamespot spent some time with the virtual console, here is their impression and confirmation of 5 titles for the console (not that there was any real doubt about these 5)

A big part of Nintendo's next-gen strategy is its back catalog of N64, SNES, and NES games; GameSpot takes a look at how they'll play on the Wii.
By James Yu, GameSpot
Posted May 11, 2006 10:12 am PT

One of the many Wii features touted by Nintendo has been the Virtual Console that allows Wii owners to download and play games from the company's extensive NES, SNES, and N64 game library using system emulation software. The library isn't limited to legacy Nintendo platform games, either. Nintendo has signed deals to bring Sega and Hudson Soft TurboGrafix 16 games over the Wii Virtual Console as well.

Nintendo's Wii Virtual Console demo station featured five signature games from the system's past: Super Mario Bros. from the NES, Super Mario World from the SNES, Super Mario 64 from the Nintendo 64, Sonic the Hedgehog from the Sega Genesis, and Bonk's Adventure from the TurboGrafix 16. The navigation menu only allowed us to scroll through the five title selection pages, so we didn't get a chance to select and download games to run.

The Wii Virtual Console stations used the gamepad Wii classic controller instead of the motion-sensing Wii-mote used with modern Wii games like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Super Mario Galaxy. We spent time playing all five games and didn't notice any differences between the Virtual Console versions and the originals, although we must admit that it's been about decade since we last played these games on their native systems. Games played in a letterbox on the widescreen booth display, but screens still looked sharp and vibrant.

The button settings were fairly intuitive for most games since the layout of the Wii classic controller can safely mimic the controllers of past consoles. Super Mario 64 had the least familiar mapping with player movement bound to the left analog stick, camera angle bound to the right analog stick, and the Z button bound to a tiny button stuck on top of the controller, just to the left of the right shoulder button. Hopefully, Nintendo will allow players to set their own button bindings in shipping Wii systems. The select and pause buttons function as expected, and players can press the home button in the center of the controller to open a quit game prompt to go back to the game-selection menu.

After seeing the Wii handle five flagship console games without a problem, it appears that the Virtual Console emulator is poised for a successful launch.

I think the virtual console is a great idea, hopefully the games won't be too expensive so they'll provide a nice alternative to going out and laying down $50 for something new to play

I looking forward to the first Zelda ever released. That has to be one of if not the best game ever created for the NES.

Last edited:
Nintendo has come up with a winner this time; the Virtual Console concept alone will make the Wii worth buying, time to relive my glory days of gaming. And they will have it open to independent development; this is a great boom to gamers.

Definately looking forward to finally being able to play Super Mario 64 and Link to the Past. Hopefully Sega will put all their old gems on there too- I'd like to see the Streets of Rage and Phantasy Star series.

The Virtual Console is one of the things about the Wii that I am most looking forward to. I am a huge fan of the Mario and Zelda serieses (?), but I haven't played any of the older games in them. I am definetely going to play all those Super Mario and Legend of Zelda games that I missed out on.

Did anyone hear about the rumored Dreamcast games on VC?

If Nintendo does Dreamcast games, Miyamoto will be my new God

With dreamcast games available on the Virtual Console, maybe this will bring back some classic sonic games as well as old school Sega gamers. How about NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat which I believe were originally sega games, not to sure though?

Last edited:
DtD said:
Did anyone hear about the rumored Dreamcast games on VC?

If Nintendo does Dreamcast games, Miyamoto will be my new God

I would agree that its possible to have playable dreamcast games even though it well take away alot of campacity on the hard drive

Jesse said:
With dreamcast games available on the Virtual Console, maybe this will bring back some classic sonic games as well as old school Sega gamers. How about NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat which I believe were originally sega games, not to sure though?

Sorry, both MK and Jam were made by third party company Midway.

Back