Virtual Console

saturnine

-_-
Jul 6, 2006
Hyrule
Sorry if this has been asked, but it seems like I saw somewhere that you have to purchase the virtual console ability in addition to the games. Is this true?

Also, you won't be able to download GC games right? you've got to have the actual discs?

Thx

I don't think GC games are going to be downloaded at the beginning because What nintendo will do with all the cds of GC that are not sold already??? I think they will start downloading games but when they discontinue the GC cds

registerednerd said:
No, you don't have to buy the capablilty to do VC, but you will have to buy games for it; and I highly doubt there will be GCN games on VC since the Wii will play the discs

True, but let's just hope they come up with some way to include Gamecube games on the Virtual Console though I highly doubt that would happen due to Gamecube games being very big to download.

Point being, I'd rather have a Gamecube library orginized within the Virtual Console than to have Gamecube discs that would wear and tear.

But they are going to keep on making Gamecube games for a bit arent they? So then if you were able to buy them via the VC then they would be more pricey than the other VC games you can download.

hey

I very much doubt you will beable to download GameCube games. Firstly GameCube games are much much larger in size than any of the Virtual Consoles, so where/how could they be stored in a practical manner?

I think the N64 games are the largest in size of all the supported Virtual Consoles, and I think they basically range from around 64Mbit to 256Mbit (8MB to 32MB). Well there maybe some larger outliers, such as Resident Evil 2, which I think used a 512Mbit (64MB) cartridge. Note, that games may be smaller as they may not have used up the entire cartridge storage space. Also, I would think it is quite possible that they will be compressed for the Virtual Console, making them even smaller :).

Secondly, I think you should remember it's called a Virtual Console ;). This being that each console is emulated through software. The GameCube games won't be emulated, but rather they will be executed directly through the Wii's hardware.

edit
Sorry, I just realised I stated the N64 cartridge/ROM sizes wrong :\. Just got confused with Mbit and MB, anyhows it's fixed now :).

cyas

Last edited:
yosh64 said:
hey

I very much doubt you will beable to download GameCube games. Firstly GameCube games are much much larger in size than any of the Virtual Consoles, so where/how could they be stored in a practical manner?

I think the N64 games are the largest in size of all the supported Virtual Consoles, and I think they basically range from around 8Mbit to 32Mbit (please don't get confused with MB/MByte). Well there maybe some larger outliers, such as Resident Evil 2, which I think used a 64Mbit cartridge. Note, that games may be smaller as they may not have used up the entire cartridge storage space. Also, I would think it is quite possible that they will be compressed for the Virtual Console, making them even smaller :).

Secondly, I think you should remember it's called a Virtual Console ;). This being that each console is emulated through software. The GameCube games won't be emulated, but rather they will be executed directly through the Wii's hardware.

cyas

Yeah totally agree wit u mate, GCN games are like up to 1.7gig i think and the wii's flash drive has only got 512mb!!! So i seriously doubt there will be GCN games for the virtual console. The only way people would be able to download it would be if they had mass storage devices.

No I still do not think they would put Gamecube games for the VC. Because as m7ticalm said wii only has 512mb while Gamecube games are like 1.4gig

You can't download GC games for the VC because GC games are still incirculation, you will only be able to download games that aren't for sale anymore...that means no GBA downloads as well.

But hey, you can always download the games off the net and put it on your SD card...but thats illegal

i REALY HIGHLY doubt u can download gc games, files are too big, just keep the games u already have, if u sold them, then just buy it at ebay or bestbuy or eb or something, besides the prices most likely are going to drop

You cant download GC games, end of discussion, until Nintendo stops producing GC games, they wont be downloadable. Oh yeah, GC games range from 1-2gb in size.

hey

I also just wanted to add that I do not even think 4GB SD Cards are practical for storing GameCube games. I would also think there maybe software security issues come into play, with the GameCube disc protections and such, which I know nothing about.

But yea, I'd guess that there is probly less than 0.1% chance of GameCube games being available for download :).

cyas

Kosh1and2 said:
Did you read the post above yours? 4 GIG SD cards makes it entirely possible :wtf:

It would be such a hastel, only fitting 2 GCN games onto one SD card which is very costly. The 4 gig ones are very expensive, its just not practical. Buying an SD card that is 4gig and then buying to VC GCN games for it would cost more than just buying two GCN games normally.

Back