Hybrid

:chuckle:
Dec 13, 2006
I was just wondering... is Vista good?
I have been hearing mixed reviews, some say:
It's the BEST!!!
-or-
It SUCKS!!!

But you can never be too sure until your buds at wiichat tell you other wise.

Is it worth buying?

(alienware)

Don't get an Alienware. They're extremely overrated. If you're going to dish out that kind of money for a computer you'd be much better buying the parts individually and assembling it yourself; much cheaper and you don't get stuck with too much crap you don't need and a fugly case.

Now, as far as Vista is concerned, I'm waiting. There's nothing I particularly want in it aside from DirectX 10 and games aren't even using DX10 yet. Unless you're buying a new computer, I suggest you just keep whatever OS you're currently running until Microsoft releases some service packs to correct any stability issues and bugs that, I assure you, are present in Vista.

as gymdawg said. DONT buy an alienware. its MUCH cheaper to buy your own parts (newegg.com has the cheapest and usualy has awesome deals). as for vista. right now dont buy it. alot of windows XP apps dont work on it yet and there is absolutely no benefit in it

Mitch2025 said:
as for vista. right now dont buy it. alot of windows XP apps dont work on it yet and there is absolutely no benefit in it

This true most software apps don't work on Vista, and if they do you have to download patches or drivers to make them work. I would stay with XP for at least another year if not 2.

Stick with XP
Visa looks good but thats it

I have it on my PC.
It's fine. No different than XP besides Gadgets and the Search feature.
But all and all it's nice to have.

Vista is frikkin awesome, I would highly recommend it. I have it and it's amazing, but one thing, you need at least 1gb ram to run it and 2gb to run it good. So make sure you have enough memory.

I've gotta agree with all the below so far - Vista certainly hasn't got any WOW!! factor in any shape or form -

the search facility is good but not particularly unique

the Aero glass definately adds something but nothing you can't achieve with plug-ins off the net

DX10 isn't being shown off at the minute and the selection of games available isn't jaw dropping (games included with Vista)

the 3D window switcher is aesthetically pleasing but it sort of stops at being super functional

Vista sidebar is available in XP anyway - it's useful up to a point as all these things are

In fact as far as I have used it - I can honestly say it's not unfamiliar to get around and it definitely is a step forward for MS but not a big deal - connection functionality is easy if confusing at first and as has been mentioned not all apps / drivers work at the moment - which to be honest wasn't a big problem for me, so it may not be the big issue it's made out to be at the minute - we all know how people like to criticise MS but to be fair - it's not bad but it's not great

Long & short is - as said before - if you get it on a new machine, you'll grow to like it over XP but there really isn't any reason to ditch XP...

it looks wank, it is wank, it costs as much as an atom bomb, i can get a ak47 cheaper than the price of vista, the new features are pretty much copy's from OS X, the child lock system thingy majigg is shockingly poor. just switch to mac, it is far better.

paintba||er said:
Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans
Adware

In about 2 years I will get a mac for the same reason Windows is released and then they give us patches and updates make the OS work right from the start, and as need be update Microsoft thinks they can't be touched witch is half the problem

Back