Wal-Mart Covering Up "M" Rated Games

blume9370

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
Posted by Jonathan on Monday, February 11th, 2008 at 4:28 pm under Gamer Life, Games Industry

It seems the retail giant known as “Wal-Mart” will soon be making another step in it’s ongoing endeavors to censor its own stock. Stores will soon begin displaying “M” rated games in a black sleeve that obscures 3/4 of the game’s cover, much like adult magazines in many news shops.

“It is the responsibility of Wal-Mart to protect our children from potentially damaging content, such as the covers of some video games,” said a company spokesperson.

Oddly I’m not too surprised to hear that Wal-Mart’s doing this, given that they already only carry censored versions of music. It’s still pretty ridiculous though, especially since I can’t think of a single “M” rated title that has anything too offensive on its cover. Not to mention the fact that the games are encased in glass, so children can’t even inspect the back. And if they’re so concerned about the games’ content, then why are they stocking them at all? I’m so confused.

Via Scrape TV

i think that is stupid i have a whole shelf full of m rated games and none have any damaging content on them. i will stop buying games from walmart if they do that.the xbox and playstation cases are gonna have alot of black!

if you know what you're looking for, why would you need to see the cover?

how many gamers that want an M rated game haven't already made up their mind on a purchase before they go to the store?

wtf since when do you see blood nudity and what not on the cover of a game? all this is going to do is make parents get more anal when it comes to M games

nb0djidjgdksjdj i forget to tpye noobish oh well.

How much more stupid can the world get? Sooner or later you won't be able to do anything without being un-safe.

I heard Wal-Mart is making everyone wear helmets in the store in case of falling products and they are only cleaning the floors after closing hours so no one slips.

WiiZero said:
I heard Wal-Mart is making everyone wear helmets in the store in case of falling products and they are only cleaning the floors after closing hours so no one slips.
they're also applying padding to their carts and walls.

Only at speeds of up to 1/4 of a mph though. Seriously though 3/4 That could show anything its not like magazines where the name is always in the same spot

Back