Wal-Mart Goes Blu-ray Exclusive in June

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
walmart.jpg

Wal-Mart is going Blu-ray exclusive by June. While Netflix and Best Buy pulling Blu were hard blows to HD DVD, when the world's largest public corporation won't stock your products, you're basically doomed. Wal-Mart is the avenue to the unwashed masses, and, as an emerging format, if you're not rolling on it, you've effectively fallen off the radar of millions of people. It's probable Toshiba already knew this, hence the rumors of it finally pulling the plug. If they weren't considering it before, it's gotta weigh heavy on them now.

Source:http://gizmodo.com/357024/wal+mart-goes-blu+ray-exclusive-in-june

Toshiba should just give up.

Finally, a clear sign of domination. I hated walking into a best buy and seeing two new formats. Was just silly. Now I can breathe easier.

Wait for version 2.0 players...

Even though all players will be able to play all movies, some special features may not be available to you if you don't get a BD spec. 2.0 player!

sweet so ill be able to finally put my hdtv to use for something besides my 360.

blue ray, that stuff is so god damn expensive ill stick to vhs haha...no wait, its dvd

this is just like beta and vhs...
I'm glad one of them finally won. I haven't bought a movie in a while because of it... lol

I have a working HD-DVD player. The screen does not have to be liquid crystal perfect to please me so this doesn't really affect me. About Toshiba, let's hope they made enough money off their TVs and laptops. ;)

i could care less about blu ray. its so expensive and for what, better picture. not worth it IMO. i wont move to any of those HD stuff until they force me to.

thas said:
i could care less about blu ray. its so expensive and for what, better picture. not worth it IMO. i wont move to any of those HD stuff until they force me to.

Same with me :yesnod: I did the same thing with dvd. I don't watch to much movies anyway.

i don't like sony getting a foothold... i'd bet their royalties are higher than hd-dvd... they make hardware that competes with other vendors version of blu-ray... thus their competition has an added expense that sony doesn't have to pay.

Very true idjut. We were just discussing in one of my classes how when there is competing formats it is rarely the better product that wins.

idjut said:
i don't like sony getting a foothold... i'd bet their royalties are higher than hd-dvd... they make hardware that competes with other vendors version of blu-ray... thus their competition has an added expense that sony doesn't have to pay.

Wow, somebody who gets it. :yesnod:

I would've thought after the debacle that was Beta, UMD, MiniDisc, etc., people would never embrace another attempt by Sony to create a media standard. Oh well, what actually led to the current situation is little sketchy, but it IS what it IS.

Well, *hopefully* the war went on long enough for Sony, the other studios and the CE manufacturers to get a good sense of the price point where the "regular consumer" says yes to HDM.

At the end of the day I just want a solid, HD media experience, that doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg.

I'll be investing into a BD solution +very+ soon. I may, or may not sell/bail on my existing HD-D gear/media (though a quick offer turned up 2 or 3 buyers almost instantly, so that' one possible direction).

Back