Want Good Wii Games, Then Buy Them

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Many Nintendo fans have been concerned with the lack of good hardcore games, along with good third-party games, on Nintendo’s newest home console. But here is a little something i would like to say about this…

Go ahead, go on the forums, post about how it sucks that Nintendo doesn’t have many good hardcore games, or good third-party support. Then, go look at a mirror. Take a good hard look at yourself, and say, “I did not buy Metroid Prime 3.” After that, i want you to say “I did not buy Zack and Wiki.” Then, lastly, i want you to say, “I bought Wii Play.” Because you know, that it is very likely, that who ever reads this, made those following purchases.

Lets get some sales figures…

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn: 0.38 Million sold.

MySims: 0.68 Million sold.

Mario Strikers Charged: 1.12 Million Sold.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 1.08 Million Sold.

Mario & Sonic at the Oylmpic’s: 2.50 Million sold.

Here is one little comparison i found quite funny.

Super Mario Galaxy: 4.69 Million Sold. (pretty crappy for a mario game in my opinion)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 4.39 Million Sold

Wii Play: 8.88 Million Sold.

Are you joking me? I don’t care if it comes with a Wii Remote, that Wii Remote with 10 mini games is worth absolutely nothing compared to the incredible gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy, or the hardcore adventure of Zelda. Fire Emblem Games are great, even if this one is a port, it is still worth the pick-up, if you like Fire Emblem. But no, you chose MySims.

Good ‘ol Z-dub, with an average score ratio of 86%, it’s such a shame you only sold less then 50,000 copies.

Okay, I know it is not specifically you who reads this that is picking up these casual games, but here is something. Please, don’t go out and buy a hardcore game for 360, then complain that Nintendo is not going to have hardcore games, but the only reason why they might not have anymore hardcore games, is because no one is buying them.

Some more very sad sales figures…

Manhunt 2: 0.15 Million Sold (everyone is saying we need more violent games for wii)

The Sims 2: Pets: 0.18 Million sold.

Zack & Wiki: 0.13 Million Sold. (probably the greatest third party effort on wii)

Battalion Wars 2: 0.08 Million Sold.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2: 0.13 Million Sold: (yet another great third party games for wii, along with best shooter for wii)

Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour: 0.14 Million Sold.

I do not care how little the difference is on those sales comparisons. A horrible, horrible game for 8 year old girls should not ever, ever, ever sell the least bit more then a great puzzle adventure or the best first person shooter with online play on Wii. It is a complete joke to see this.

Manhunt 2 created some controversy. But when it ended, no one bought it.
It anger’s me, and at the same time disappoints me to see these kind of sales comparisons. Please, the next time there is a good third party effort, or just a great game for the hardcore audience, please, lay aside the money you have for that FPS for 360, because that game will always be there, and there will always be more, and use that money for a great game for you’re Wii.

Source

i agree for the most part, but some of those titles could have used a bit more advertising. i didn't buy Zack and Wiki because it was a point and click adventure. then again it could be the market or maybe most wii owners have lost interest and gave up on 3rd parties.

Me personally, I love my Wii but when I go down to my local Wal-Mart or Gamestop, etc. and I look at the Wii games I am pretty torn, reason being. With the Wii games, you are taking a gamble. Companies are half doing the motion controls just because the system can ulitize it and in doing so RUIN the appeal of it because people are then nervous about it (IE: Madden 08). Second, the game has to at least look decent and most Wii games (as of now) look like GC or PS2 ports with motion controls slapped on second. With the other systems, you at least know that it will look good. Yes, I have prucahsed quite a few for my Wii but rarely play them because if they do use motion, they over do it (Tomb Raider, to do puzzles you have to pull the nunchuk/wii remote down together like pulling down a switch!?). I do not want to have to pop lock and do the robot to pull of a move. People are just nervous and are sticking with what they know. Another thing, if they market good games people will know. Honestly, who can say they have seen advertisements for Zack and Wiki or Endless Ocean?

Honestly, all the 3rd parties are smart. There are only a handfull of hardcore games still out there for Wii. Therefore, there cant be 2 million sales for a hardcore game if there are only 1 million hardcore gamers willing to buy it. But there can be 8 million sales for a game such as Wii Play because theres just that many casual gamers that have Wii.

The casual market has taken over the sales of the Wii and thats the way it is.

1 million hardcore gamers = 1 million sales for Metroid Prime / Legend of Zelda / MOHH2

10 Million casual gamers = Millions of sales for everyother mediocre, half done party/mini-game
(besides Galaxy, or course.)

Last edited:
CantGetAWii said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This NEEDED to be said! Thanks for posting that, cuz I already said as much in another thread!

ShawVAuto said:
Me personally, I love my Wii but when I go down to my local Wal-Mart or Gamestop, etc. and I look at the Wii games I am pretty torn, reason being. With the Wii games, you are taking a gamble. Companies are half doing the motion controls just because the system can ulitize it and in doing so RUIN the appeal of it because people are then nervous about it (IE: Madden 08). Second, the game has to at least look decent and most Wii games (as of now) look like GC or PS2 ports with motion controls slapped on second. With the other systems, you at least know that it will look good. Yes, I have prucahsed quite a few for my Wii but rarely play them because if they do use motion, they over do it (Tomb Raider, to do puzzles you have to pull the nunchuk/wii remote down together like pulling down a switch!?). I do not want to have to pop lock and do the robot to pull of a move. People are just nervous and are sticking with what they know. Another thing, if they market good games people will know. Honestly, who can say they have seen advertisements for Zack and Wiki or Endless Ocean?

Yes, the OTHER side of the issue with wii games, poor effort put into them! If they want their games to sell will, than they need to respect our intelligence and apprecaition for quality and CREATE the games that wii would WANT to buy!

Last edited:
Wow, those numbers are staggering. I knew that third party support was not doing well, but this is just surprising. I have to admit, I only own one wii game that isn't made by Nintendo.

Thanks a lot, Brandon. Really opened my eyes.

How about I just buy what I want, when I want, instead of being told that I should feel guilty for not buying games that I'm not interested in? Better yet, I'm going to put things in perspective and see that many Wii games are not advertised very heavily and some are too niche to be commerically successful yet selling million of copies of is not a requirement to be profitable.

FFS, he's complaining about SMG?! Are you kidding me? Selling over 4 million is a bad thing now? Does SMG not have long legs?

selling in mass quatities doesn't make it a fun game. look at wiiplay and links crossbow training. i bought them cause even if the game was stupid it wouldn't be a total loss cause of the equipment that was included.
I like both games, but i've seen allot of people say they don't.

Problem for me is, most of these games that he listed thats so called "good" aren't good for me. Some of those games are not my type of game.

Zack and Wiki - Sorry, too childesh for me, plus its point and click adventure
Fire Emblem - I hate it, it sucks IMO
My Sims - I hate sims games, boring
Metriod Prime 3 - Im still waiting until its $30 since its only single player
SMG - I own it
Zelda - I own it
Manhunt 2 - I was thinking of buying it until they censored it to hell
The Sims 2 - I hate sim games, they are boring
Battalion Wars 2 - I want it, but its just not worth buying with so many better games on 360 to invest my money in
MoH:H2 - Same as above, but even more because this is a WWII shooter

Since I have all 3 consoles, exclusives is what I usually buy on Wii. But if the game isnt that great or its only single player, whats the point of investing money in it when there's alot of good games on 360/PS3 or games that will last longer (has good online). For example MP3 is good game, but its single player and short. Then you have games like MoH:H2 which are good but its still very mediocre vs a shooter on 360. CoD2 is still better and still have alot of people playing online. Then theres CoD4 which is 100x better with more people online and alot of features.

I need a game thats going to be unique and great for me to buy it over a 360 games. Mario Kart is gonna be great and its the only racing franchise I like. Other than that I dont want nothing. I was going back n forth with SSBB but I didn't really like melee, so I wont buy. I rather wait for the new Street Fighter.

I did not buy Zack and Wiki and I'm glad I didn't. I love the game but it's missing something that most good point and click adventure games have: length. I'm on day 4 of a 7 day rental and I'm not too far away from beating the game. Why pay $40-$50 for it when I can just pay $7 and enjoy it just as much. The same could be said of Trauma Center: Second Opinion yet Trauma Center managed to sell enough copies to warrant a sequel.

If Capcom wants me to buy a copy of Zack and Wiki, then they can provide enough gameplay that I won't come out ahead renting. Nintendo's first party titles tend to be long enough that it will take me multiple weeks to beat the game. There's no way I could've beaten Metroid Prime in one week. I would've easily spent more renting it than I would just buying it.

"that Wii Remote with 10 mini games is worth absolutely nothing compared to the incredible gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy, or the hardcore adventure of Zelda."

Maybe to you, but as far as I'm concerned, the whole family being able to play Wii Sports because we have enough controllers for everyone is worth far more than me playing Mario Galaxy by myself.

I'm a consumer. I buy what I want at a price I'm happy with. Right now, the used game market and the rental market are the only ones catering to me. I'm not going to feel guilty about that and if my contribution isn't enough to keep those third party developers afloat, then it sucks for them.

Between everyone in my family I own 33 Wii games and I own most of the games listed. Most of the titles we have are excellent except for some of the kids titles my boys wanted and other few rare exceptions; but honestly I do approach most third party games with caution since the majority of them do end up with low reviews due to poor quality or rushed development.

I think most wii games sell poorly is due to the uncetainty of quality in the games so far. It seems the majority of the games released on wii are either shovelware, receive very low review scores, or your better buying it on another console cheaper or at least with more features. Other reasons include games only appealing to certain markets such as Mysims or EAplayground. Then there is the fact that the wii has had so many soul crushingly awful games released in such a short timespan that I think it makes must consumers reluctant to buy more games unless they are first party developed which has a more guaranteed track record.

Last edited:
Game sales are a reflection of the consoles market. I don't think anyone should be surprised by numbers like these anymore.

Back