Watching a DVD

RuthY

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2009
Can anyone tell me if you can watch a DVD on the Wii System? If so how?

Can anyone tell me if you can watch a DVD on the Wii System? If so how?

RuthY-you can watch DVD's on wii but with the homebrew channel i believe my wii's lazer got messed up, had to uninstall the HBC then call and ship it to Nintendo twice, once from the channel DVD lazer messed up my wii but then one without my channel, completely uninstalled but my wii was still making a buzzing noise, irritated me so had to ship it to Big N again this time free of change. I think it was cus of the DVD hack that ruined the lazer.

Reading video data from a disc is no different than reading game data from a disc, it's just ones and zeros (or rather pits and lands). It's not going to "break" the laser.

but the Wii isn't meant to play DVDs. its not that it breaks the laser, what happens is it ruins the data the laser can read. soon it stops reading discs period.

just another reason why people shouldn't hack

hey skippy yes it does mess up you lazer, so dont state stuff you dont know nothing about. i know out of experience because my wii would'nt read anything after watching a few dozen movies over the years & you could even search Www.wiihacks.com & you'll know thats why the dvd drive wont automaticly read dvd discs cuz it's not meant to be.

Last edited:
but the Wii isn't meant to play DVDs. its not that it breaks the laser, what happens is it ruins the data the laser can read. soon it stops reading discs period.

It "ruins the data"... ughhh... :sick:

hey skippy yes it does mess up you lazer, so dont state stuff you dont know nothing about.

Speaking of "know nothing"... it's LASER, not LAZER... ughhh.. :rolleyes1:

i know out of experience because my wii would'nt read anything after watching a few dozen movies over the years & you could even search

Correlation does not equal causation.

Just because your Wii died after watching "a few dozen movies over the years" doesn't mean that's what killed it.

The drive in the Wii is basically an off-the-shelf DVD player. Data is data. Reading game data is no different than reading video data.

In fact, games tend to be harder on the drive than movies, particularly big games. Those require frequent data access from all over the disc. So instead of a nice constant spiral stream of data, the laser head has to jump all over the place throughout the game to get the needed data. (Not all games are big enough to need frequent data access though).

hey smart A$$ Skippy i know how to spell lazer I like to spell IT LIKE THIS "LAZER" & it's well known Fact that it messes your LAZER WHAT are you a Nub Otherwise why would you have to hack your wii then install the disc channel use a dvd player better safe then sorry!!

Last edited:
hey smart A$$ Skippy i know how to spell lazer I like to spell IT LIKE THIS "LAZER" & it's well known Fact that it messes your LAZER WHAT are you a Nub Otherwise why would you have to hack your wii then install the disc channel use a dvd player better safe then sorry!!

hey numbnuts.
shut up.

ive been using my wii as my primary dvd players for a long while now. ive never had it lock or screw up in any size, shape, or form.
its spelled "laser", not lazer.

Back