WaveDash

Trickz - you're not alone here. I use wavedashes in SSBM and I also was thinking if they were going to leave it in SSBB. My main character is Link, and yes I do have a hard time using wavedashes consistently with him. When I use Luigi or Samus, I use wavedashes all the time and I use it to confuse the opponent - like what u said about 'mindgames'. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth then Fsmash! I also know about the Samus Super Wavedash and I'm still finding it hard to use it consistently.

Some people use it for show, other use it to their advantage. You cannot just use the wavedash to beat Ken (for that matter I know what youre on about). Ken is the top smasher because he adapts to the other person's fighting style. And he wavedashes, dash dances, wavedances, SHFFLs, and uses the Ken Combo lol!

ALOT of people in MLG use it, including me. It evades almost everything if done right, and its a faster way of moving. Pretty much every pro practices all these tricks until they are somewhat good at performing them, because if you dont take advantage of them, you won't get anywhere at mlg. If your a casual ssbm player, dont worry about it. Its mainly for people that want to be REALLY good and compete at tourneys.

and im not a big fan of ken, i like Aniki and pc.chris more.

Last edited:
Yeah I like Aniki as well. I think he's really good with his Link and thats who I watch often to learn and improve my Link in SSBM.

I've never been to tourneys because there isn't a big SSBM community in Australia. I know they're big in America because there's a bigger community of SSBM players who play on a professional level. Azen, Chu Dat, Oro, Wes, Germ etc etc

I am alot more than a casual SSBM player as I am really interested in becoming better at SSBM and would like to go to tourneys once I've got the skills nailed to perfection.

Ya I can't get to too many tournies either thats why I can't wait for SSBB and online play.

i wouldnt worry about getting pro at ssbm anymore, because mlg is about to cutt off ssbm tourneys when ssbb cmes out and continue to do tourneys for brawl. If you want to compete id suggest just waiting for ssbb and getting good at it. I cant wait for online play

Can anyone show a video of wavedashing, I just want to see it to know what it is. Maybe like a video across final destination or something. Anything would work.

pit18 said:
Can anyone show a video of wavedashing, I just want to see it to know what it is. Maybe like a video across final destination or something. Anything would work.
theres a few videos on the first page

Use google video and search "advanced how to play ssbm" there's 3 parts and its really helpful.

I Registered to these forums just to post here, in this thread.

The topic was, Wavedashing in Brawl, if I'm correct. Well, will it be in Brawl? I hope so. And if they are using the same physics engine then it should be in there. That is if they keep air dodging in there(which is almost certain).

And they will most likely be using the same physics engine because they only started making it about a year ago, at last years e3. And I'm sure the people making the game have seen player guides. And they don't want to dissapoint us do they?

And for how it will be used in Brawl, if it is in there. I think that they will make it easier for novice players to do....how, I don't know. But they might do something like...shorthop + down diagonal air dodge = WD. And there would be a larger time period to do the down diagonal Air dodge.

^^^I don't think they should change it at all though. It is perfect the way it is imo. And once you learn it you never forget.

Last edited:
Yeah I really do hope that the SSBB makers leave WDing in the SSBB engine and also to make it easier for beginners to learn with.

On another note SHFFLing (Short Hop, Fast Fall, L cancel) is just as hard to learn in comparison to WDing. But that move wasn't a glitch, it was utilising the options available to the player and using it to advantage so that aerial attacks could almost be used on the ground. Therefore I am sure that they will leave the SHFFLing aspect of SSBM in SSBB. Maybe they will improve the training mode. It could do with a bit of adjustment.

Yes, SHFFLing should be left in the game, and WDing should be a little easier for beginners. I'd like to see all the advanced techniques in SSBB, but they'll probably do away with things like JC grab. And I'd love to see a better training mode, the current one can only get you so far.

Aha! I just thought of something! Maybe (L) would be the wave dash button. And R would be still be shield/roll/(if you press (A)) grab. And Z would still be grab. But they would change (L) to wave dash, by pressing (L) and left or right....hmm, but then how would normal wavedashing work?

): oh well. Maybe they'll just disable normal and make it (L) only.

Hmm yeah that would be a good idea (WD as L button) but yeah people have a preference to one or both buttons so I'm sure they'll leave WD as it was in Melee. Like when I want to shield grab sum1 I use L+A and if I'm doing WDs I use R button to airdodge and then I use L+A to shield grab during the WD.

Back