We received our Wii Today... I have a question

Wee Wii

WiiChat Member
Dec 23, 2007
It appears that I have 3 places for memory cards (2 on top look like PS2 slots and the 3rd looks like an SD Card Slot).

I assume (ass|u|me), that the SD Card is used to store game info (player names, progress, etc.). How MUCH memory can go in this slot (512mb, 1gb, 2gb, etc)? I hear that the console has onboard memory... How much memory and does the SD Card help?

Ok, so the two on top are for Gamecube Memory cards (only). The SD card slot CAN hold info, but the system doesn't run on it automatically.

The system itself is mostly the storage you'll need. The SD card slot is for stuff like Pictures and mp3 files. Handy when you play Excite Truck (which can play your mp3 tracks mid-game).

Other than that, I don't think there's much use for them (oh, except a couple of features from Brawl (the most anticipated game of 2008), which include cutomising levels and recording videos).

Oh, and the largest you can use is 2GB I think.

2 on top are game cube memory cards for game cube games (it plays game cube games, you can use a game cube controller or a classic controller)

it is an SD card slot. it's used for backing up saved games and backing up virtual console games (from the shop channel). might be able to backup the game cube saved games onto it also (i dont really know)

any SD card will work, and the biggest i found was 4 gig (dont know the largest the Wii supports). i think i have a 1 or 2 gig PNY..???? i dont remember.

i have 3 full screens of Virtual console games and my wii still isnt full in memory.

Last edited:
the console itself has a built in 512mb memory which is usually more then enough to save games and for VC(Virtual Console) games. unless your planning to buy every game available lol

Back