We Watch the Watchmen

anax4aero

Nintendo Connoisseur
Jan 4, 2008
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I thought I'd find some sort of thread about watchmen on these forums...but I didn't, so I guess I'll start it.

So I guess everyone just go ahead and say all you want about Watchmen, comic or movie. Favorite characters and why, favorite moments/quotes/images, what you thought of the ending, etc.
It'd also be cool to know what people who've read the comic expect from the movie. Will it be great? Will it be as bad as Alan Moore may expect it to be?

Also, I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for the movie without having read the comic, so if you want to comment on the more sensitive material make sure to put it in spoiler tags.

Haven't read the comic and won't until I see the movie. I live in the US so still haven't been able to see it. I will though. Can't wait!

I think that Alan Moore expects it to be crap. That's why he never puts his name to any movies based on his work and he has said he won't ever watch The Watchmen movie.

Spoilers may actually help people who haven't read the comics as a lot of critics have said that the movie is very confusing, I won't give any yet though. Personally I really don't know what to expect from the movie but I'm very interested in seeing it.

Most people that I know like Rorschach or Doctor Manhattan the best but my favorite is The Comedian, he's such a badass!

David Hayter as screenwriter = epic

Okay, so it's out. Who saw it?!!!

I seriously want to know because I really want to see the movie, but also want an idea of how good it is when walking into it.

I went to see it Thursday night (opening) without reading the comic.
I enjoyed it.
Quite a bit of gore so if you are squeamish be wary.
Like I said, I haven't read the comic yet, but I plan on it very soon.
It wasn't too hard to follow, from what my friends said of it, it missed a lot of the backstory and whatnot (like the pirate part...?)

Definitely going to see it again after I read the comic. I give it a 9/10

I'm with napalm...going to watch it tonight, but from what I hear there's a lot in the movie that has nothing to do with the comic.

I also must say I do not approve of the guy playing Adrian Veidt. It's amazing that the same people who chose a great actor for Rorschach also chose such a bad actor for Veidt.

If you want to really enjoy the movie, read the comic afterwards if you havent read it already. If you've read it before hand youre not going to like it as much

I'm with napalm...going to watch it tonight, but from what I hear there's a lot in the movie that has nothing to do with the comic.

I also must say I do not approve of the guy playing Adrian Veidt. It's amazing that the same people who chose a great actor for Rorschach also chose such a bad actor for Veidt.
I just finished watching, and actually it turned out to be a pretty good adaption of the comic. Okay, the film could do with being more subtle and less bloodthirsty (that's Zack Snyder for you), the Matrix-style fights are somewhat lacklustre, and I completely agree that the guy they chose to play Ozymandias is totally wrong for the part- he's supposed to be a Herculean examplar, not some college student. And the woman playing Sally Jupiter does not make a convincing old lady (couldn't they have hired someone else to play her older self?). On the other hand, they made great choices for Rorschach and the Comedian, who I've got to say, are the best characters in the story.

Note: Spoilers for film and comic:
I liked how they changed Ozymandias' plan from unleashing the giant alien squid thing to him framing Dr. Manhattan, but I still think the ending of the comic was better (mainly for the scene where Ozymandias asks Manhattan if he really did the right thing).

Minor nitpicks: I prefer the way Rorschach kills the paedophile in the comic to the film version (in the comic, he leaves him handcuffed to the radiator, hands him a saw, and sets his house on fire). Also, why did they cut the scene of Hollis Mason's murder?
The story ultimately works better as a comic than as a film, but it's still a nice adaption and turned out better than I thought it would. I give it a 7/10.

I just finished watching, and actually it turned out to be a pretty good adaption of the comic. Okay, the film could do with being more subtle and less bloodthirsty (that's Zack Snyder for you), the Matrix-style fights are somewhat lacklustre, and I completely agree that the guy they chose to play Ozymandias is totally wrong for the part- he's supposed to be a Herculean examplar, not some college student. And the woman playing Sally Jupiter does not make a convincing old lady (couldn't they have hired someone else to play her older self?). On the other hand, they made great choices for Rorschach and the Comedian, who I've got to say, are the best characters in the story.

Totally agree. Rorschach and the Comedian were awesome. I quite liked Patrick Wilson as Dan Dreiberg too.

I thought that there was a lot of subtlety that was missing from the movie that is in the comics, but it managed to contain most of the key points without being a total mess so I think they did a good job.

Note: Spoilers for film and comic:
I liked how they changed Ozymandias' plan from unleashing the giant alien squid thing to him framing Dr. Manhattan, but I still think the ending of the comic was better (mainly for the scene where Ozymandias asks Manhattan if he really did the right thing).

Minor nitpicks: I prefer the way Rorschach kills the paedophile in the comic to the film version (in the comic, he leaves him handcuffed to the radiator, hands him a saw, and sets his house on fire). Also, why did they cut the scene of Hollis Mason's murder?
The story ultimately works better as a comic than as a film, but it's still a nice adaption and turned out better than I thought it would. I give it a 7/10.

Saw the movie last night and everything you said is spot-on. Like raisinghelen I also add that the actor who played Dan was also well chosen.

I do have a couple of comments:
- There is no point to having Bubastis in the movie. In the comic it's appearance relates to Veidt's genetic research, which is something he's not doing in the movie. So it kind of has no place at all and it feels a little bit forced.
- The "hallelujah!" song was a poor choice for the scene where it appeared. It took away from the seriousness of it, quite a lot.
- I didn't like the fact that in the movie they actually saw themselves as a group called "the Watchmen".
- There was no way to sympathize with Ozy, which made the revelation of his actions much less impacting. All throughout the movie he seemed like an arrogant businessman. This is strongly different from the novel in which throughout you are led to respect Veidt and consider him a model of human perfection.
- Also, did the Comedian shoot Kennedy? I was confused at that part.
- Last thing. I think the one thing that I liked in the movie loads better was the development of Dan's character. I liked how the death of Rorscharch led him to break down and give attitude to Veidt. In the comic it felt like the only thing he got was Laurie, while in the movie he also got balls.

- There is no point to having Bubastis in the movie. In the comic it's appearance relates to Veidt's genetic research, which is something he's not doing in the movie. So it kind of has no place at all and it feels a little bit forced.
I agree, Bubastis just seems way out of place here with Veidt not in genetic research like he was in the comic. I get the feeling there was probably meant to be a scene explaining Bubastis earlier on which got deleted for time.

- The "hallelujah!" song was a poor choice for the scene where it appeared. It took away from the seriousness of it, quite a lot.
They couldn't have picked a worse place to put it. That whole scene was cringeworthy. And what really kills me is, I like that song.

- There was no way to sympathize with Ozy, which made the revelation of his actions much less impacting. All throughout the movie he seemed like an arrogant businessman. This is strongly different from the novel in which throughout you are led to respect Veidt and consider him a model of human perfection.
- Also, did the Comedian shoot Kennedy? I was confused at that part.
- Last thing. I think the one thing that I liked in the movie loads better was the development of Dan's character. I liked how the death of Rorscharch led him to break down and give attitude to Veidt. In the comic it felt like the only thing he got was Laurie, while in the movie he also got balls.
Completely agree about the first part, and yes, that was supposed to be the Comedian.

Went to see it y/day, never read the comic.
It was good. Pretty dark but a well made film.
Very different to other superhero films, mainly because of it's darkness but yah it's good, recomend it :)

Watchmen>DarkKnight (I think theres loads of hero films that are better than that)

Not read the comic but enjoyed the film
THATS ALL THAT COUNTS TO ME!!!

Back