Well...how about Linux?

Spyro

Wii60
Jul 11, 2007
There is obviously a feud between people who want more Wii features, and those who think it is just fine. If Nintendo made it Linux compatible then this feud would end. Those who want a hard drive, GET a hard drive...those who dont, don't. It becomes an option.

What's the downside?

Once we get custom firmware we will not need to wory, it will pretty much be like linux, all open sorce and pwnage..

lordcorm said:
Once we get custom firmware we will not need to wory, it will pretty much be like linux, all open sorce and pwnage..

lol, custom firmware would be so sweet on the wii, we can do so many things with its capabilities but its going to be difficult to hack into this great system.

RVPersie said:
lol, custom firmware would be so sweet on the wii, we can do so many things with its capabilities but its going to be difficult to hack into this great system.

Accualy it will be soon once garagegames releases its wii sdk to indie game devs like me... im already saving for this

I'm a CMPS major...what language does it use? C++?

It probably uses C++ or something along those lines. Probably more complex programming with some C++ elements.

Will the wii Sdk ever be released to the public, that would be nutz :lol:

its for indie game developers... you have to know C++... its not a drag n drop game maker, and its not free

RVPersie said:
Will the wii Sdk ever be released to the public, that would be nutz :lol:

That wont happen like Lorcorm said its only for indie develepors who can make mages its not drag and drop. and even if it did release there would be some many glitches on those custom firmware's it wont even be funny.

I should have said im a BEGINNING cmps major. I am just now getting to array's. Haha. It feels very natural to me though, I haven't run into any problem I couldn't solve quickly in any program so far. I'm working on my first text-based game right now.

Spyro said:
I should have said im a BEGINNING cmps major. I am just now getting to array's. Haha. It feels very natural to me though, I haven't run into any problem I couldn't solve quickly in any program so far. I'm working on my first text-based game right now.

Haha... wait till you start rendering thangs in 3d, which is where im at... it starts out hard but in the end pretty simple to understand if you get all the basics down its basically:
1. create device for rendering
2. inialize the device
3. start the pipline
4. allocate all vertices, normals, and texture coords in a vertex buffer.
4. apply textures & shaders
5. trow them into the device pipline.

thats just basic but you get the idea :) Also i whould recommend using directx api when you get to 3d spyro :)
... also, Spyro, check your private messages.

A grassroots development community would be pretty slick - I would think it would be a good, creative repository for Nintendo for products that could expand into larger commercial licenses, etc.

You don't pay any royalties to GarageGames, but I don't see where there's anything about the redistro model and Nintendo (?) This is a 3rd party middle-tier, so then anything developed can only be used by modified Wii's - this is where it would be interesting if there was real support by Nintendo to provide a "use-at-your-own-risk" distro channel (like a "Indie VC" type thing).

Pretty cool - a buddy of mine who's an executive producer with ***** sent me a couple of SDK's years ago for XBOX and PS2, some interesting stuff (if you're into it) - neat seeing the underlying API's for the custom DSP/GPU/etc.

lordcom ~ as you get involved with this, make sure you post updates!

~DT

Back