Were you Impressed with the Wii?

True but at least in the UK it has Mario Strikers Charged which is a very VERY good game.

The difference is Nintendo aren't asking for £425 for their console. There's nothing on PS3 that makes it worth that money at the moment.

Simple fact is ALL consoles have a slow first year. The PS2 was exactly the same with people making identical arguements to this one. The bottom line is people have to be patient for quality to come and I've no doubt Metroid 3 will open the floodgates for many more great games.

paintba||er said:
I was impressed for about the first week or two before the novelty of the controller wore off. I have been considering putting mine on eBay and buying one later when/if some games come out. I don't think the graphics are going to get too much better either. It isn't capable of too much more than the GC.

Did your research then? The Wiis chip is only slightly better than the GC, Nintendo never hid that fact.

paintba||er said:

I like the Six-Axis because it has motion sensing, but is also a regular gamepad and the whole console isn't based on motion sensing.

Again, did you not know the Wii-motes were going to be motion sensored?

paintba||er said:

Well the graphics wouldn't be such a big deal if the Wii offered something else that the other consoles haven't.

Show me how you play Tiger Woods on the PS3 or XBOX 360?

I'm no fanboy, It just all your rants seem to be based on information that was available BEFORE you paid your money?

I feel sorry for you that you obviously wasted your money, on a machine that is of no interest to you. My advice is sell it to someone who will appreciate the Wii for what it is. Then you can buy another game to play which allows you to sit in the same position that you did when playing PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Megadrive, SNES, Atari.......

Edit: Sorry forgot you can shake the six axis around a bit.

miiguy said:
Did your research then? The Wiis chip is only slightly better than the GC, Nintendo never hid that fact.

Again, did you not know the Wii-motes were going to be motion sensored?

Show me how you play Tiger Woods on the PS3 or XBOX 360?

I'm no fanboy, It just all your rants seem to be based on information that was available BEFORE you paid your money?

I feel sorry for you that you obviously wasted your money, on a machine that is of no interest to you. My advice is sell it to someone who will appreciate the Wii for what it is. Then you can buy another game to play which allows you to sit in the same position that you did when playing PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Megadrive, SNES, Atari.......

Edit: Sorry forgot you can shake the six axis around a bit.
Yes, I already knew all of those things, I'm not an idiot. I could easily get over the fact that it is only slightly more powerful than the GC if there were some games that interested me. I didn't say that motion sensing was a bad thing, rather that I prefer a combination of motion sensing and a regular gamepad. I'm not going to sell it because it doesn't cost much and I would like to be able to play every consoles exclusive games.

I'm thirty years old. I haven't played a current video game in about ten years. I bought a few games long after they came out -- Neverwinter Nights, Halo, Starcraft -- but I just don't care that much. I'm otherwise occupied.

But I was attracted by the Wii. I plunked a good bit of cash on it, and I'm very impressed. Why?

I'm impressed by the design. It's just so clean and simple and fun to use.

I'm impressed by the functionality. About every day, I turn on my Wii and check the weather forecast and news headlines. It's useful, which is more than I can say about the PS2 that I bought, played, and sold several months later.

The games are fun. I don't play them constantly, but I love to take a few minutes and perform a surgery in Trauma Center or a few holes of golf in Tiger Woods.

If you want the HOTTEST, MOST INTENSE GAME EXPERIENCE, the Wii will disappoint. That's fine; buy a 360 or a PS3. You'll be happier.

But for me, my Wii is the best purchase I made in the past six months.

huzzellio said:
Can't see past graphics.
Yes I can. When I said specs, I was also refering to the fact that the Wii can't have much on screen as the 360 and PS3 because of the Wiis inferior CPU.

paintba||er said:

Yes, I already knew all of those things, I'm not an idiot. I could easily get over the fact that it is only slightly more powerful than the GC if there were some games that interested me. I didn't say that motion sensing was a bad thing, rather that I prefer a combination of motion sensing and a regular gamepad. I'm not going to sell it because it doesn't cost much and I would like to be able to play every consoles exclusive games.

I didn't say you were an idiot. If your profile is correct your 15 years old. I've been playing video games for 21 years. What I'm saying is when you reach that milestone, your view may change. When I was your age (I know, I sound like an ol' fart but hear me out) I had my Psone with two multi-taps and 8 player olympics going with my mates, followed by a worm armageddon or Micro Machines party play. I'm now a married man with a 3 year old and some of us haven't got the time to do those gaming marathons anymore (They were great fun!)

paintba||er said:

Well the graphics wouldn't be such a big deal if the Wii offered something else that the other consoles haven't.

Name another console that lets you create a full-body avatar.

Name another console that lets your avatar travel to other consoles.

Name another console that has full-featured weather and news modules.

BrentNewhall said:
Name another console that lets you create a full-body avatar.who cares

Name another console that lets your avatar travel to other consoles.who cares

Name another console that has full-featured weather and news modules.who cares
so thats it lol?

6ix said:
Definitely. Obviously the motion control was the most impressive feature.

Just took this as a quote to highlight that there seems to be a lot of negative comments about Wii's library (ablet they were early release comments) and that the motion controls don't impress any more....

So let me get this right - there are some of you out there who consider complete motion realtime gesture wireless control of a video game boring...!?! You consider that the Wii has got nothing more to offer and you should sell it on ebay and for example buy a 360 / PS3 because they have got something more to offer....more games certainly [not for long], multimedia aha for sure.

Wii - nothing more to come from Nintendo and the 3rd P.devs?

Man, am I reading this correctly..."Were you Impressed with the Wii?"
..hmmm we are seven months+ in and speaking in the past tense about a machine that will shape the future of all consoles with it's capability to immerse the player into what's on screen....have you not played Godfather, SSX blur, WiiSports, Rayman etc... they can't be done as well with a conventional controller...fact! You may not have enjoyed any or all of the launch titles (1st and 2nd wave) but to say that there is no more coming could be construed as shortsightedness at best.

We are talking about a revolution in gaming for a small financial outlay and a bit of patience whilst dev's get their **** together and start innovating again - the games industry has been devoid of fun for so long that shovel / crapware is so prevelant that it takes a new mindset to affect a change....IT WON'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT - contemplate the enormity of the impact that Wii has / will on the whole industry.

Don't give up - there are games out there which will make you think that Wii can't be matched - the one that defined it for me is Godfather: Blackhand, play this and the gesture controls smack you in the mouth and tell you to shut the f**k up mofo.... It's got it's faults but it certainly aint the bitchin control system.

Last edited:
as some people have said here, the wii got boring after a couple weeks..same here..i only play it when a friend comes over or when i have nothing to do..and the remotes batteries are out of power and i dont pay much attention to it...id play it more if it wasnt so hard to play call of duty 3:mad5:

Rolex said:
Just took this as a quote to highlight that there seems to be a lot of negative comments about Wii's library (ablet they were early release comments) and that the motion controls don't impress any more....

So let me get this right - there are some of you out there who consider complete motion realtime gesture wireless control of a video game boring...!?! You consider that the Wii has got nothing more to offer and you should sell it on ebay and for example buy a 360 / PS3 because they have got something more to offer....more games certainly [not for long], multimedia aha for sure.

Wii - nothing more to come from Nintendo and the 3rd P.devs?

Man, am I reading this correctly..."Were you Impressed with the Wii?"
..hmmm we are seven months+ in and speaking in the past tense about a machine that will shape the future of all consoles with it's capability to immerse the player into what's on screen....have you not played Godfather, SSX blur, WiiSports, Rayman etc... they can't be done as well with a conventional controller...fact! You may not have enjoyed any or all of the launch titles (1st and 2nd wave) but to say that there is no more coming could be construed as shortsightedness at best.

We are talking about a revolution in gaming for a small financial outlay and a bit of patience whilst dev's get their **** together and start innovating again - the games industry has been devoid of fun for so long that shovel / crapware is so prevelant that it takes a new mindset to affect a change....IT WON'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT - contemplate the enormity of the impact that Wii has / will on the whole industry.

Don't give up - there are games out there which will make you think that Wii can't be matched - the one that defined it for me is Godfather: Blackhand, play this and the gesture controls smack you in the mouth and tell you to shut the f**k up mofo.... It's got it's faults but it certainly aint the bitchin control system.
Well since the Wiimote is really only a good idea when it comes to shooting and sports. Thats it. Unlike the PS3/360s universal controller. And this made me laugh, "buy a 360 / PS3 because they have got something more to offer....more games certainly [not for long]". The PS3 will have more great games by years end than the Wii will have. I'd like you to name 10 jaw dropping Wii games that will be out in 2007.

I'm 20 myself and have been playing games ever since the original NES. So I really have grown up with consoles. I had the first major one when I was v. young and now I have a Wii - as well as a fast PC. I'm also what you would consider a "hardcore" gamer. I've attended LANs, tournaments etc for CS down the years. I am a competitive gamer as well.

So why am I playing the Wii? Surely it's not even targetted at me?
Well actually, it is. You see consoles have offered very little for the true hardcore gamers for years now. I know I've said it before but Halo is just so far behind something like HL2/CS:S on a pc its unreal. But, it is the best incarnation of an FPS on a console since Goldeneye. The point is though that normal consoles just don't cut it for some genres, whereas for others they do. What the Wii does well is that it does the "console genres", sports, racing, platform, 3rd person action etc better than the other consoles. It has the potential to at least anyway. Why do we care so much about FPS's which seems to certainly be the 360s main draw? They're far superior on a PC with limitless online options and customisation. Cost doesn't come into quit so much anymore either, for the £500 you spend on your ps3 I can build a pc that will play all the latest games and do more.

So I look to the Wii. I want to play a console for party games - it's doing ok so far with Warioware, Wii Sports etc. I also want the best single player story based experiences that I just don't get on the PC. So I look to Zelda, to Mario Galaxy, to Metroid, to Resident Evil 4 etc. Online is also great. But theres no point if it's FPS as I've just explained I don't think there worth my time. So online football with Mario Strikers Charged? Cool! That's another thing I can't do on my PC.

So I guess my overall point is that don't look to a single games platform to do everything you want to do. They are all different. They all cater to different tastes. If your tastes are fairly wide such as a mine are, don't expect the Wii to satisfy you on it's own. It won't. What it will do is provide a lot of quality experiences in the next few years. And that's why it's worth having one.

Sythin said:
Well since the Wiimote is really only a good idea when it comes to shooting and sports. Thats it. Unlike the PS3/360s universal controller. And this made me laugh, "buy a 360 / PS3 because they have got something more to offer....more games certainly [not for long]". The PS3 will have more great games by years end than the Wii will have. I'd like you to name 10 jaw dropping Wii games that will be out in 2007.

Thanks for the reply Sythin - In reply to your comment that shooting and sports are the only genres which will benefit mainly from the controller - you missed out RPG's and partygames. Surely Zelda:TP and WarioWare have been somewhat lauded enough by now to be considered worthy of the Wii remotes capabilities...

Secondly - "the PS3 will have more great games by years end than the Wii will have. I'd like you to name 10 jaw dropping Wii games that will be out in 2007".

I really do hope that PS3 does - if it gets superbly playable games then Wii will most likely get a port - hurray, more games without trying etc etc BUT buyer beware, more games can equal more crap..do do doooooo - my consoles got more games than your console doesn't include the strap line "yeah but most of them are ???? [insert: great or pants where applicable]:wink:

As for naming 10 jaw dropping games - I am loathed to name any seeing as I haven't played them - I am a sort of suck it and see type of chap, where empiricism rules in my book - just because Motorstorm looks beautiful running in HD then it doesn't make it play beautifully....this was an example seeing as I haven't played it but I have seen it. I'm all for all the big 3 consoles, I just think Wii has something more to offer gameplay wise via the Wii controls.

ally_uk said:
Ok So i have had my Nintendo Wii for three weeks now and being a avid nintendo fan since the nes days I can honestly say wow this thing is so damm playable :)

Especially Wii sports despite owning Zelda also Wii sports is the game that has kept me occupied the most. Although I have to admit that Zelda is a awesome game!

The thing which is bothering me about the Wii at the moment is the lack of quality titles I am a bit reluctant to rush out and buy anymore titles at the moment because I have played games such as red steel , sonic , call of duty 3 and my conclusion is they sucked!

I am personally looking forward to No more Heros, Smash bros , Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3

I think developers need to start to up the ante for Wii development and they need to stop going for the quick buck by releasing sloppy third party ports where the games contain last gen graphics sloppy development and the most embarrassing thing is that Nintendo has developed this nice new control scheme and developers are not taking the time the implement the controls properly into there titles.

I want to see the Wii's true potential and by this I don't mean Gamecube graphics

Also A unique online FPS would be great on this console Nintendo should put the effort in and develop one :)

I am not impressed with the PS3 my mate was gloating about it when he purchased it so I decided to have a look myself and compared to the Nintendo it's just lacking the same playability and you get the whole deju vu of geez havent we seen all this before.

If you want quality titles, get teh Wii freeloader and go to playasia.com, and get some good japanese games !

Back