What balance issues will arise from SSBB?

I've got no videos, but he has the gale boomerang to bring opponents closer, the automatic tether recovery from the grappling hook, the chargeable up B move (which was deadly in Melee), and the bombs are different...look at the video in the Dojo website to see the new bombs.
I considered him a higher tier...my cousin uses him and he easily blocked combos and had that balanced moveset that works in most cases.

As for the comment of all characters having disadvantages and advantages, I disagree...characters like Mewtwo and Pichu have(or had) a natural disadvantage, while those like Fox and Sheik were just naturally good. Hopefully Sakurai balances the playfield a lot more.

Gotta tell you, when you've seen people who main low tier characters, and know how to use them, you really don't look at it being unbalanced.
You just gotta find the strengths in them. Mewtwo, for example, has amazing edge-guarding abilities. I've seen a Mewtwo main who 4stocked his opponent in a tourney match, all 4 lives at low percentages.

anax4aero said:
I've got no videos, but he has the gale boomerang to bring opponents closer, the automatic tether recovery from the grappling hook, the chargeable up B move (which was deadly in Melee), and the bombs are different...look at the video in the Dojo website to see the new bombs.
I considered him a higher tier...my cousin uses him and he easily blocked combos and had that balanced moveset that works in most cases.

As for the comment of all characters having disadvantages and advantages, I disagree...characters like Mewtwo and Pichu have(or had) a natural disadvantage, while those like Fox and Sheik were just naturally good. Hopefully Sakurai balances the playfield a lot more.
thanks for the update. and ya melee was pretty unbalanced but not to the extent that one character dominated regardless of player skill. everything was a small flaw that was exploited when you played someone with the same skill level...like pichu would have owned if it was a little heavier...i think anyways lol

Prez said:
Gotta tell you, when you've seen people who main low tier characters, and know how to use them, you really don't look at it being unbalanced.
You just gotta find the strengths in them. Mewtwo, for example, has amazing edge-guarding abilities. I've seen a Mewtwo main who 4stocked his opponent in a tourney match, all 4 lives at low percentages.

Yea, I know...I actually like Mewtwo; he has awesome combos, great movement, great air attacks, and his grabs are excellent. But having played as almost every single character I can tell you that there is a big difference in difficulty in maining Mewtwo as opposed to maining Fox or Link, and that shows a clear lack of balance.

anax4aero said:
Yea, I know...I actually like Mewtwo; he has awesome combos, great movement, great air attacks, and his grabs are excellent. But having played as almost every single character I can tell you that there is a big difference in difficulty in maining Mewtwo as opposed to maining Fox or Link, and that shows a clear lack of balance.
No.. That shows a clear lack of persistence in learning a character.
He is harder to main, not impossible due to balance issues.

Prez said:
Wow...that's amazing...:yikes:
Actually, im not too bad with mewtwo either. I honestly don't see how link is a bad character, all my friends say he's cheap when I play as him.
Even if he is a lower tier character, his new and improved boomerang/spin attack/clawshot should bring his usage up to a decent level.

If people call you cheap, then chances are they are more causal players, and don't know the game to well. The only truly cheap things you can do are stalling with jiggly's rising pound, stalling with peach's wall bomb, and wobbling with IC.

ya i think the most impressive win i saw was an MLG match where chu dat beat some guy's marth with his pichu

spiff-ssbb said:
ya i think the most impressive win i saw was an MLG match where chu dat beat some guy's marth with his pichu
Yup, chu dat is a great example of low tier mains.. Also, Gimpyfish with his bowser.

Prez said:
If people call you cheap, then chances are they are more causal players, and don't know the game to well. The only truly cheap things you can do are stalling with jiggly's rising pound, stalling with peach's wall bomb, and wobbling with IC.
i actually dont think the wobble is overly cheap. just using strengths in the character. to me thats like saying up chainthrowing a fast faller with marth is cheap

Prez said:
Yeah, I agree with you. I have a question though-whats wobbling with the Ice Climbers? i know rising pound and peach bomb.

spiff-ssbb said:
i actually dont think the wobble is overly cheap. just using strengths in the character. to me thats like saying up chainthrowing a fast faller with marth is cheap
Well, chainthrowing is a different story, because you can still DI out of it.
Wobbling with Ice Climbers is actually banned in lot's of tourneys, as there is no possible way to escape it.

*Wobbling is when you grab, and use yourself and nana to constantly attack while the opponent is grabbed, thus leaving them no way to get out. You can go from 0%-999%, with no error.
Wobbling is allowed in team matches, as you have a team mate to help you, but banned from solos.

Last edited:
Prez said:
Well, chainthrowing is a different story, because you can still DI out of it.
Wobbling with Ice Climbers is actually banned in lot's of tourneys, as there is no possible way to escape it.

oh i didnt know they were banned. last video i saw they were explaining why it wasn't banned yet in the commentary. and slight correction if your under 30-40 damage you can apparantly mash out of it

spiff-ssbb said:
oh i didnt know they were banned. last video i saw they were explaining why it wasn't banned yet in the commentary. and slight correction if your under 30-40 damage you can apparantly mash out of it
Well most tourneys I've attended have banned it. I've been to maybe 2 or 3 that do not, but they were not as big. And my mistake with the percentages. Wasn't really sure on that.

Back