What do you think of my Melee skills?

Zori

Wii Owner Since Launch
Oct 31, 2006
Well I am going to a small tourney (prize adds up to about 400$) and I wanted some constructive criticism on my Marth.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VVNddPDlaNw
Nerves kinda got to me and I messed up not using F-air as much as I usually do, but this is me. How do you guys think I'll do?

One thing I've noticed is a lack of Double Short Hopping Fairs... they are a handy little thing to utilise, I'd recommend using them more.

LemonManX said:
One thing I've noticed is a lack of Double Short Hopping Fairs... they are a handy little thing to utilise, I'd recommend using them more.

Thanks. Honestly, I usually spam that. But the thought of the camera there got to me and I left it out sorta. Thanks for the Tip tho im gona try to use it more. I find it's best at causing damage when the oppoent is at 35%+ cuz you can get the 2 hits in easily.

@ idjust: What's that smell...Smells like a challenge. Guess we'll just have to wait for Brawl.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Well yeah, trying to avoid nerves is also something that will come in handy. Is this your first prize money tournament?

LemonManX said:
Ah, I see. Well yeah, trying to avoid nerves is also something that will come in handy. Is this your first prize money tournament?

Yeah, I've actually been a pretty good player since launch. Beaten everyone I've met, but yea this is the first time I'm actually competing. If I do well here I might consider MLG Brawl tourneys in the future.

EDIT:Btw, besides that. Were there any other major blemishes to my gameplay you could spot? You gave a straight answer which I appreciate so your criticism is very welcomed.

Zori said:
Well I am going to a small tourney (prize adds up to about 400$) and I wanted some constructive criticism on my Marth.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VVNddPDlaNw
Nerves kinda got to me and I messed up not using F-air as much as I usually do, but this is me. How do you guys think I'll do?
You need some more SHFFLC's in there.

Other than that, you might have a chance.

FRuMMaGe said:
You need some more SHFFLC's in there.

Other than that, you might have a chance.

Yea I figure shffling Fairs would be the majority of my damage dealers. And the occasional Nair followed by a Smash move for damage + possible KO. Thanks for the tip im gonna do a match of just shffling mainly double fair

Zori said:
Yeah, I've actually been a pretty good player since launch. Beaten everyone I've met, but yea this is the first time I'm actually competing. If I do well here I might consider MLG Brawl tourneys in the future.

EDIT:Btw, besides that. Were there any other major blemishes to my gameplay you could spot? You gave a straight answer which I appreciate so your criticism is very welcomed.

Confidence is good to see, and definitely something you should use to your advantage in matches. As for your video, it seemed pretty solid. You have good tech from what I can see but to truly get an idea of how you would stack up we'd need to see a vid of you playing a human.

Marth's down smash isn't an attack I personally use often as a Marth user. Mostly because it leaves you open for an aerial assault.

As I can see from your video you understand that Marth's tippers are important and always keep chain throwing in mind for space animals.

You've got wavedashing down, I'll give you that. Just one question: Why are you playing a level 1 CPU?

FWELR said:
You've got wavedashing down, I'll give you that. Just one question: Why are you playing a level 1 CPU?

Thanks for the compliment. There are many reasons why I play against a level 1. Level 9 CPUs don't play anything like humans. They know every move your character does as you press it, which is why their guards are so freakin precise and throw you off. I don't recommend training with CPUs at all, but to showcase how I play I figured a level 1 would be best.

LemonManX said:
Confidence is good to see, and definitely something you should use to your advantage in matches. As for your video, it seemed pretty solid. You have good tech from what I can see but to truly get an idea of how you would stack up we'd need to see a vid of you playing a human.

Marth's down smash isn't an attack I personally use often as a Marth user. Mostly because it leaves you open for an aerial assault.

As I can see from your video you understand that Marth's tippers are important and always keep chain throwing in mind for space animals.

Wow man thanks so much for that detailed post.His down smash I don't use very often to, but recently playing with CPUs so much gives me an advantage with it. That might prove fatal against a human opponent. Chain throwing I actually never use, but I figured I could get some tips on it. I'm gonna keep practice chain grab now to get it down perfectly.

Zori said:
Thanks. Honestly, I usually spam that. But the thought of the camera there got to me and I left it out sorta. Thanks for the Tip tho im gona try to use it more. I find it's best at causing damage when the oppoent is at 35%+ cuz you can get the 2 hits in easily.

@ idjust: What's that smell...Smells like a challenge. Guess we'll just have to wait for Brawl.
just ignore her, she says that to everyone.

Wavedashing is a nifty technique and you seem to have it down to a T but why not showcase against a human oponent? (Preferably one with skill)

For the record, I have trouble with wavedashing (but also havnt touched Melee in...uh, i dunno, a year?)

your fighting a level 1 computer. thats pathetic. If you want to win you should be able to do that to like a level 7.

Back