What Encryption standard you use on your Home network?

AES? wow, DT... you live metro, though :lol:

BTW, my dad is a wireless network engineer and project manages monsterous wireless networks in hospitals like NYC and Dallas... i get to travel with him often.

i have MAC address filtering and my SSID is not broadcast (so it will not show up when people search for an access point). i also have it in the basement of my house. reaches my entire house and about 5 feet on the outside (i tested with my laptop lol)

Since we have some decently-technical people on this thread, I felt I should mention a few things:

- MAC address filtering is not a panacea. Basic sniffing software can pick up the MAC addresses of devices that are successfully associating with the AP, and then the person can change their own MAC address to match.

- non-broadcasting SIDs are not a panacea. It's even easier to figure out the SID of a non-broadcasting AP than it is to clone the MAC address.

- There is still value in using MAC-address filtering and not broadcasting your SID, as it at least raises the skill-level bar for what it'd take for someone to freeload off your internet connection. But don't be lulled into a false sense of security. It's the difference between just leaning your bike against a tree and using a chain. The 12yo won't steal it, but plenty of people have bolt cutters.

- The "reach" doesn't just depend on the power and gain of the AP, but the power and gain of the client antenna as well. While one laptop might only work up to 5' outside a building, another could be made to work 50 yards outside the building. For under $200 you can get wireless NICs that have over 10X more transmit power, and the options for higher-gain antennas are limitless.

"sremick", :rolleyes: , thanks for the lecture, does anyone even listen to you? Because i didn't, so you just wasted all of that typing. I hope i never get so lame that i have to give random people on the net English lectures on game forums.

Thanks for that Neepo, you're a safe Geeza!

Now back on topic, Mitch2025, what brand of router have you got? Also are you talking about just internet use or/and file transferring on your network too?My internet connections pretty poor, I'm thinking of getting one of those re transmitters, because on my Belkin one i can't ad on a bigger antenna.
1st I'm gonna try upgrading my Net connection and see ow that goes 1st, also changing the frequency, because we've got a wireless phone right next to where it's having trouble receiving the signal.

i have a netgear router. really the only file transfering is when i stream video from my desktop PC to my laptop to watch before going to bed. if i want to xfer large files i just use my external HDD that has 30 gig apple partition (i forget what the name of the filesystem is. its like NFS or something (not NTFS because macs cant write to NTFS)

Singhson said:
"sremick", :rolleyes: , thanks for the lecture, does anyone even listen to you? Because i didn't, so you just wasted all of that typing. I hope i never get so lame that i have to give random people on the net English lectures on game forums.

Well, I read his posts for one. He's an intelligent guy who comes up with some good stuff. You obviously read his post if you're commenting on it.

Lets leave the flaming behind us and keep on track shall we?

I haven't currently got an encryption set up, however not many technical people on my local town and no stories of fraud or anything in local area. Hell, we have a high teen pregnancy and car theft rate, I don't thing chavs have the capacity to know what WEP is.

Mitch2025 said:
(i forget what the name of the filesystem is. its like NFS or something (not NTFS because macs cant write to NTFS)
MacOS X uses the HSF+ filesystem. NFS isn't so much a traditional file system (although that's what the "FS" stands for) as it is a protocol for accessing a file system over a network.

So you could have a Mac with an HSF file system and my FreeBSD PC with a UFS file system and you could run an NFS server so I could mount a share off your system onto my system.

Not much can write to NTFS, at least not reliably. Blame that on the jerkoffs at Microsoft for insisting on keeping it closed, undocumented, and proprietary.

sremick said:
MacOS X uses the HSF+ filesystem. NFS isn't so much a traditional file system (although that's what the "FS" stands for) as it is a protocol for accessing a file system over a network.

So you could have a Mac with an HSF file system and my FreeBSD PC with a UFS file system and you could run an NFS server so I could mount a share off your system onto my system.

Not much can write to NTFS, at least not reliably. Blame that on the jerkoffs at Microsoft for insisting on keeping it closed, undocumented, and proprietary.
thats it. HFS. the reason i made a 30 gig parition formated to HFS on my external is because i need it so i can write files on it from my mac and it can support files over 4 gigs. also with macDRIVE i can write and read the HFS filesystem on my windows PC.

anyways back on topic. what encryption method would you suggest? i want it to be secure but also let my DS and Wii connect.

Mitch2025 said:
anyways back on topic. what encryption method would you suggest? i want it to be secure but also let my DS and Wii connect.
none < WEP < WPA+TKIP < WPA+AES < WPA2+TKIP < WPA2+AES

Not sure what the DS supports... I know the Wii supports WPA2.

Back