What exactly is an SD Card?

you sir, are an IDIOT

no, read what it says on the front of the card for your psp, what does it say? does it say "memory stick Duo" ok, now read what it says on the front of an sd card, does it say "SD card" now look at the sizes of them, do they look like they are the same size and shape?

i will let you make your own judgement on this

pizzaluvr said:
you sir, are an IDIOT

no, read what it says on the front of the card for your psp, what does it say? does it say "memory stick Duo" ok, now read what it says on the front of an sd card, does it say "SD card" now look at the sizes of them, do they look like they are the same size and shape?

i will let you make your own judgement on this

Dude, that was totally uncalled for. He asked a serious question, not to be insulted.

Yeah, it's not a stupid question at all, especially if he's not much into digital photography. Anyways:

SD cards were originally (and still are) used for digital cameras. It's the "universal" (almost) media card for cameras. It's not quite universal because while most cameras support it, a few don't. The biggest company that doesn't use SD cards is Sony. Instead, they have their own memory card out called "Memory Stick" (fancy, huh?), "Memory Stick Duo," "Memory Stick Pro Duo," etc...

Your PSP, being a Sony product, uses the Sony Memory Stick (similar to how the Sony PS3 uses Sony's Blu-Ray discs). Unfortunately, it will not work in the Wii and probably never will - you're only option would be to beg for a future update to allow USB card readers, but that probably won't happen. :)

Your best bet is to buckle down and get an SD card. But you should NEVER spend regular price on one. They are constantly going on sale, online and in electronic retail stores. So go shopping Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. If they don't have them on sale, check back next week. I guarantee you they will. (I got my 1GB for $2.99 post-rebate :D)

I also think someone had posted a link in another thread about a sale online where you could get a 2GB for $10 post-rebate using Google Checkout.

tonyr1988 said:
Yeah, it's not a stupid question at all, especially if he's not much into digital photography. Anyways:

SD cards were originally (and still are) used for digital cameras. It's the "universal" (almost) media card for cameras. It's not quite universal because while most cameras support it, a few don't. The biggest company that doesn't use SD cards is Sony. Instead, they have their own memory card out called "Memory Stick" (fancy, huh?), "Memory Stick Duo," "Memory Stick Pro Duo," etc...

Your PSP, being a Sony product, uses the Sony Memory Stick (similar to how the Sony PS3 uses Sony's Blu-Ray discs). Unfortunately, it will not work in the Wii and probably never will - you're only option would be to beg for a future update to allow USB card readers, but that probably won't happen. :)

Your best bet is to buckle down and get an SD card. But you should NEVER spend regular price on one. They are constantly going on sale, online and in electronic retail stores. So go shopping Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. If they don't have them on sale, check back next week. I guarantee you they will. (I got my 1GB for $2.99 post-rebate :D)

I also think someone had posted a link in another thread about a sale online where you could get a 2GB for $10 post-rebate using Google Checkout.

Tony, you seem to know a lot about SD cards. I am getting a digital camera for Christmas. I am planning on getting an SD card for it. My question is about the speed of the card. I know that it makes a difference in lag time between shots for the digital camera. So, 2 questions

1) Are there SD cards with high speeds at the discount prices you speak of?

2) Does the speed of the SD matter when using it for the Wii?

Tacos said:
Tony, you seem to know a lot about SD cards. I am getting a digital camera for Christmas. I am planning on getting an SD card for it. My question is about the speed of the card. I know that it makes a difference in lag time between shots for the digital camera. So, 2 questions

1) Are there SD cards with high speeds at the discount prices you speak of?

2) Does the speed of the SD matter when using it for the Wii?

1) This is far from scientific, but it seems that the regular SD cards go on sale much more often then the higher-end ones. Not that you won't be able to find faster SD cards on sale, but they probably won't be on sale as often or as much as the regular ones.

2) I'm not positive. For cameras, it does (like you mentioned) significantly help in the lag between shots, especially for the higher-quality pictures (you're writing more info, it's going to take longer to do). But since the Wii isn't going to be reading / writing a ton of data, I'm not sure how significant of an impact it would have. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head (my Wii is still pretty new to me, so I'm not sure if everything it does yet) is when you're in the photo channel. If you have TONS of pictures, it may be able to read them faster off of a card with higher read speeds.

Not only would the amount of data matter, but also the hardware. Card readers for computers have max speeds that they can read / write. I'm not sure what the Wii has, but they may have opted for a cheaper card reader / writer, and that would mean that the type of card wouldn't matter at all.

Again, it's all speculation on my part (for both points), so take it with a grain of salt. :D I'll bet there's other people here with a lot more knowledge about media cards than me.

Captain-Awsome said:
I kinda know its like a memory card for the wii, but will my Card from my psp work in it?

Here's a link to an SD card, if you're unsure what they look like, click the picture to enlarge.:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820233029

You don't need one this big though, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

EDIT* By the way, this 2G card was originally $29.99(probably about 3 weeks ago) so you can see SD card prices are slowly dropping as expected when the Wii came out.

i paid $20 for my 2gb Kingston SD card from buy.com check them out and use the google checkout for some decent savings.

Yes, that phone uses the miniSD card and yes, it will work in the Wii. The only difference (as far as I know) between miniSD and SD is the size, so you'll need an adapter. Most miniSD cards have an adapter included in the box. If not, they're not too expensive. Your card should just go inside the adapter, and the adapter in your Wii. A quick Google for "miniSD adapter" will bring up lots of options. They should look like this:

http://goodmemory.stores.yahoo.net/misedimicaad.html

Back