What is Nintendo waiting for???

dedpoet777

\/\/ii'd Out For Life
Dec 20, 2006
Surfside Beach, SC
Wii Online Code
0792-2476-6769-9631
i found this article on the net.... what are your thoughts?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is Nintendo waiting for?

posted in Editorials on March 26th, 2007 by jay

Nintendo has a chance to regain some market share this generation. The Wii is still hard to find five months after launch and there are reports that Nintendo’s stated mission of expanding the market is succeeding. But for every smart move they make, a dumb one – like keeping the friend code system intact – is soon to follow. I have compiled a short list of things Nintendo really should do sooner rather than later.

The most grievous sin Nintendo has committed is their neglect of online play. What were they doing while Xbox Live took off? It’s as if they only started thinking about the structure of Wii online after the system launched, instead of seven years ago when SegaNet showed us how cool online gaming could be. Personally, I think the lack of online capability (for gaming right now) is what makes the Wii feel a little old, not the weaker comparative processing power.

Neglecting the online component doesn’t only hurt the consumers, though. Wii Sports Online would be more popular than Jesus, Mohamed, and Pee Wee Herman combined. Nintendo is really missing the opportunity to have a second money printing game machine. Conversely, the lack of a strong online component may scare off fence sitters. It’s a little silly that you can play free MMO games on your PC but can’t play much Wii online.

That Nintendo refuses to enable Virtual Console games for online play is their second stupidest move. Playing Double Dungeons may be less amusing than playing Saga Frontier while being murdered, but if I could play it online with Pat, there is no doubt in my mind I would. Streets of Rage, Toejam and Earl, Tecmo Bowl, Contra III, Puyo Puyo, Gunstar Heroes…I’d even play Altered Beast online once, if only to pretend it’s 1989 again (it was good back then, especially if you were seven and retarded).

According to the programmers I’ve spoken to, it likely wouldn’t take an inordinate amount of time to rework these games for internet play. Nintendo has played the, “true to the original” card pretty well, but most people can still see through it. “True to the original” really means, “no extra work for us.” Why they won’t enable these VC games for online play is mysterious. Sales would surely improve enough to make the effort payoff.

Here’s something Nintendo actually said was a possibility – translated VC games. Imagine Lady Stalker, FEDA, Fire Emblem, Der Langrisser, Bahamut Lagoon, Battlemania 2, Monster World IV, Shin Megami Tensei, Rent-a-hero, or Bahamut Senki fully localized and available for eight bucks. You may not recognize many of these games, but I assure you they would change your life…but only if they are in English (the language of change)!

And then there are all those indie games on the Wii that we are still waiting for. A fully realized Indie Channel would be extremely cool. This component is more important than Nintendo realizes because it can justify their entire business strategy. The Wii is cheap to develop for and I’d argue a democratic view on development follows naturally from an attempt to widen the market.

Ideological nonsense aside, the amount of unique content that an Indie Channel would offer could keep gamers glued to their Wii in these drought periods between big games. Murmurs of this channel have been heard for a while now, but if Nintendo knew what they were doing they’d already have half a dozen smaller games available for download.

Finally, there are the improved GameCube games Miyamoto mentioned. Better graphics, possibly new features? This isn’t necessarily a great idea, but it’s another bullet point on the list of things Nintendo “may” do on the Wii. I have no idea how it would work, but let’s pretend you can pay a few bucks to download the super code that will improve the game, which you already have a disc for. I’d probably play a prettier, extended version of Luigi’s Mansion, and I’d certainly pay some money for an online multiplayer version of Pikmin.

Part of the problem Nintendo runs into with this improvement concept is that historically, sequels are nothing but better graphics and a new mode taped on to an original game. Online Double Dash would eat into sales of the Wii Mario Kart, and why would they give us multiplayer Pikmin when they can just release the same game as Pikmin 3 and charge $40 more? Still, no one lesser than Shigeru Miyamoto himself said they are looking into the concept of beefing up GC games. I’d prefer it if this panned out and wasn’t another thing Nintendo talked up then ignored.

It is clear why Nintendo haven’t done these things yet – they cost money and take time. But every half assed game or product they make impedes the progress of these listed goals. Instead of spending the time and money on the new reportedly shitty Wario game for the DS, they could have localized four Japanese RPGs.

Well
1. FRIEND CODE IS FOR PEOPLE WITH FRIENDS!!! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FRIENDS YOU CAN STILL VISIT NORMAL BIG ONLINE COMBAT ROOMS!!
2. Sorry
3. artical has some points, but people are forgetting that even though they might not like it. The DS is still a very nessesary product for nintendo, they are commin out with a lot for the DS right now. Wii and DS are both being made, nintendo hits are in the making, full factories of wiis and some of DS. nintendo needs some time, gamers gave the 360 a year and look at how far its gotten. I think the biggest company in the world microsoft could do somewhat better dont you think?
4. And nintendo arn't crooks, they don't want to crap out sequals with no point. A good example is FF series. Every since 7 most of them have bin crap comming out a 3 months after the predecors. Another one is halo 3 games and look at how much its "progressed?"

Last edited:
VC games at least should be online by now, if not some GC games. It would be a great way for nintendo to get feedback and not launch a full fledged online gameplay scheme blind.

Nintendo should have enough resources to develop Wii and DS at the same time. Including the possibility of integrating the two with the previously mentioned "DS game demo channel" and using the wii as an access point.

Anyway, I'm tired of talking and reading about online play, guess we're just going to have to wait.

Last edited:
VC games should not be online...just my cents. They're supposed to represent old school games that we enjoyed as children or even adults. Regardless they are games we played without Internet. Why should we want to play them now with Internet. The article does have some decent points though.

I agree with the VC thing, i think leave them the way they were in there hayday

Yeh pretty much, that and galaxy i think are the only reason most people havent sold there wii yet.

save them from what? they're doing fine.

there's going to be tons of people who don't want a wii, and then twice as many who do. just like the DS. they're fine.

Wiitendo said:
Well
1. FRIEND CODE IS FOR PEOPLE WITH FRIENDS!!! IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FRIENDS YOU CAN STILL VISIT NORMAL BIG ONLINE COMBAT ROOMS!!
Some people play with their friends in real life... Hell, belive it or not some people do more then just play video games with their friends!

Wait, you're talking about e-friends arn't you?
Cyber-bully:frown2:

Wiitendo said:
Well
2. Sorry
3. artical has some points, but people are forgetting that even though they might not like it. The DS is still a very nessesary product for nintendo, they are commin out with a lot for the DS right now. Wii and DS are both being made, nintendo hits are in the making, full factories of wiis and some of DS. nintendo needs some time, gamers gave the 360 a year and look at how far its gotten. I think the biggest company in the world microsoft could do somewhat better dont you think?
4. And nintendo arn't crooks, they don't want to crap out sequals with no point. A good example is FF series. Every since 7 most of them have bin crap comming out a 3 months after the predecors. Another one is halo 3 games and look at how much its "progressed?"
MasterJedi2U said:
VC games should not be online...just my cents. They're supposed to represent old school games that we enjoyed as children or even adults. Regardless they are games we played without Internet. Why should we want to play them now with Internet. The article does have some decent points though.

Well said by the two of you. But yeah wiitendo i don't think anyone can disagree with you their. But everybody has the friend code thing mix up because it is always being looked at as a chain holdin you down... .masterjedi2u is right, lets not over do it. so we can get that original flavor from playing those VC games again

they couldnt make most VC games online anways they only own the nintendo brand ones and have rights to use the others.. not change them... the whole idea of VC is retro gaming... wii brings old gamers back with new gameplay and a library of old favorites... thats why they sell like crazy mom and dad are now playing with the kids... and dont leave out grandma and grandpa...

but the online deal is a bit of a drag they had online in the works forever they should have never launched without it... but based on there first timeline they were early anyways just to keep up with ps3 and 360.. you dont want to get left behind... and aparently it worked they are outselling them both everymonth now worldwide...

they will get to it, sad news is i think they are more concerned about pumping out systems then improving them right now... there are more than a few people are nintendo pulling double shifts just try to do what they can with what they have... with the demand they are streched thin im sure... its been 2 decades sence nintendo was the leader... they arnt use to it...

dedpoet777 said:
i found this article on the net.... what are your thoughts?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Nintendo refuses to enable Virtual Console games for online play is their second stupidest move. Playing Double Dungeons may be less amusing than playing Saga Frontier while being murdered, but if I could play it online with Pat, there is no doubt in my mind I would. Streets of Rage, Toejam and Earl, Tecmo Bowl, Contra III, Puyo Puyo, Gunstar Heroes…I’d even play Altered Beast online once, if only to pretend it’s 1989 again (it was good back then, especially if you were seven and retarded).

Ummmm how do u play 1 player games such as Alterd beat online may i ask?

MasterJedi2U said:
So your telling me you would not plya Mario Kart online??? I bet money that if they did have Mario Kart 64 with online everyone that could get on the VC would get it. I would add hours of Game play not including playing with friends. Also if 007 ever comes out on the VC you cant them me it owuld be a bad online game.

I wasn't trying to say that every VC game should be online. I just think that some would be very successful like mario kart, bond, ssb...etc. At the same time it would give nintendo feedback on online traffic patterns and problems that need to be addressed before putting Wii games online. I for one grew up with the NES and love the fact that I can now play old school games. However, I have no problem with adding something new to them while at the same time keeping the traditional one player roles in these games alive.

JerrodDRagon said:
So your telling me you would not plya Mario Kart online??? I bet money that if they did have Mario Kart 64 with online everyone that could get on the VC would get it. I would add hours of Game play not including playing with friends. Also if 007 ever comes out on the VC you cant them me it owuld be a bad online game.

Look if it came out online I'd use it because its THERE? However just because something is there doesn't make it right. I'm sorry but it was NOT an Online Game. It should NOT be online now. Period. That completely defeats the purpose in my mind of the Virtual Console being a sort of nostalgic reminder of the Golden Days of Gaming.

Back