What is the best kind of SD card to get for the wii?

Skooma said:
The play branded one is only 27 euro for 2gbs... dunno how fast it would be though ^^

If it helps, my mum bought a play branded USB memory stick and the transfer rate is fast on it. I suppose the SD card wouldn't be much different.

Tjharwin said:
If it helps, my mum bought a play branded USB memory stick and the transfer rate is fast on it. I suppose the SD card wouldn't be much different.

Purchased - thanks for the info ;)

can any1 tell me though y the unupdated wii's dont have the copy-to-SD function for saved games? Mine and my friend's at least don't. Even though the manual mentions you can.

That's pretty weak that you can't save directly to a SD card. I also didn't see an option to format the card while it was in the Wii.

Not all SD cards are made to the same standard. Cheaper cards are usually slower on their speed rating (e.g. 8x, 10x) versus faster cards of 50x or even 150x. However, one needs to be wary because faster ratings aren't a "standardized" system. I've seen lots of 50x and 150x card whose write speed is horrible, yet the read speed is great (and vise versa).

Speed is rated the same as CDROM's where 1x is 150KB/sec, 2x is 300KB/sec, so 50x is 50 times 150KB/sec or 7.5MB/sec, 66x is 66 times 150KB/sec or 10MB/sec. A 150x card is 22.5MB/sec. KB is kilobytes not bits, and MB is megabytes not bits.

Last thing to worry about is many less expensive card do not have the quality control checking done by the more expensive cards. Or even worse, they are the "cards which didn't meet the brander's specs". So, even though there are just a few true flash-card manufacturers, the branding (lexar, Sandisk, Kingston, PNY, etc) DOES affect the overall quality and viability of the card. Better branding (usually affecting price) will affect how safe your data is.

Skooma said:

Thanks!!

Back