What is the best TV to buy for Wii ???

stevefulle

WiiChat Member
Feb 25, 2008
Just bought a Wii. About to go buy a new TV I want like a 42" LCD Flat Panel, but I have read a ton of bad things about HDTV and 720P or 1080i problems with lag and lack of good quality picture. Anyone have a suggestion as to what TV I should buy?? I am looking to spend $800-$1000. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Steve

IMO I would stick with higher tier brands vs budget brands since a decent scaler is needed to do the 480p->native resolution of the display (720p,1080) upscale. For LCDs it would include Sony, Samsung and Sharp. For plasmas Pioneer and Panasonic. I may have forgotten a few other brands for the LCDs.

I highly recommend Samsung LCDs. I have two of them (42" and 46") and they are very reliable. Check out the rating on Amazon.com before you buy, you'll see that the Samsung LCDs have the best customer ratings.

I myself have had a lot of poor experiences with Samsung products; I do recommend Sony, but they are very expensive and you'll definitely pay for the brand. Sharp is pretty good and cheaper, and if you're looking for more of a bargain, look at Vizio - they have good quality and good prices.

I have a 32" Vizio and the picture looks fine as far as I can tell. If you're spending that kind of money on a TV, I'd just bring the Wii with you to the store. No salesman in his (or her) right mind would turn down letting you hook it up to the floor model to see how it looks before buying. I'd call ahead first though to let them know that you're going to do it.

I have a 42" Samsung plasma. It look great playing the wii on it, and it's got a burn in protection setting on the wii so you don't have to worry about it. I was playing guitar hero 3 for the wii and went out for four hours or so. I found i left the game on pause with the tv on and burned the pause screen into the tv. After a few moments watching normal tv, the burned in image went right away. So, point being, don't worry what you hear about plasma tv's...they are the best .

I too am looking to get an HDTV as well but my personal budget isn't that high. I was wondering how small of an HDTV you can get before it diminishes the playing experience? For example, hal2814 you have a 32'' how's that working out for you?

I've also played on a large 40-something inch LCD but I found that when I brought the WiiMote closer to the television, I needed to exaggerate my movements further. Thus, if I play on a much smaller HDTV like a 32" or lower, would this prove to be a problem? Or does the Wii allow you to calibrate this kind of thing.

any 73" should work fine. as long as it is capable of 1080P

Attachments

• 100_1901.JPG
    100_1901.JPG
    570.9 KB · Views: 203
Vanquish23 said:
I too am looking to get an HDTV as well but my personal budget isn't that high. I was wondering how small of an HDTV you can get before it diminishes the playing experience? For example, hal2814 you have a 32'' how's that working out for you?

I've also played on a large 40-something inch LCD but I found that when I brought the WiiMote closer to the television, I needed to exaggerate my movements further. Thus, if I play on a much smaller HDTV like a 32" or lower, would this prove to be a problem? Or does the Wii allow you to calibrate this kind of thing.

I don't like the TV to be the focal point of our family room so I didn't want a huge television. I have two small kids and if they go through life watching less television than I did, I'll consider that a win. Remember that the 32" TV looks a whole lot bigger in your living room than it does next to the 60" TVs on the floor of your electronics shop. It's been fine for us. I usually play about 4' - 5' away from the TV. At the time I bought it, 32" inch was the best deal on smallish LCD TVs. Nowadays, I think the 37" might be a better bang for the buck.

As far as exaggerated movements, set the sensitivity of the remote in the settings menu and that should be taken care of.

Sony or Samsung HDTVs. Even a LG HDTV, my friend has one around 50" and it works fine for his PS3 and Wii.

Just make sure the HDTV you pick has a good scaler/upconverter built into it otherwise you will be unhappy, not just with the Wii but with basic t.v. channels as well.

When you go to buy one make them put standard definition, enhanced definintion, and high definition on it so you can see how well all the current formats look on it. This is a transition period between the formats, so for the next 5-10 years your gonna need a t.v. that can handle all of them.

I have a 42 inch Samsung Plasma. Its 720 but it works really well and the picture is great. I have never had a problem with it lagging or anything.
scrufynerfherdr7

Whatever you do do not get a plasma... Old technology.

LCD is ure best bet. Try a Samsung. If you can stretch ure budget a bit go for the M8, or at least something close. You mareswell invest in the future technology, trust me itl be worth the extra $$$! Make sure you also get
a 1080p TV not 1080i... not the same.

1080p is the best out there and is the future. If you see one u will c the difference! :shocked:

navroze1 said:
Whatever you do do not get a plasma... Old technology.

LCD is ure best bet. Try a Samsung. If you can stretch ure budget a bit go for the M8, or at least something close. You mareswell invest in the future technology, trust me itl be worth the extra $$$! Make sure you also get
a 1080p TV not 1080i... not the same.
1080p is the best out there and is the future. If you see one u will c the difference! :shocked:

Oh geez. Go to avsforum, repeat that post, and see what happens :eek:ut:

- Plasmas are just fine, if not better than LCDs. Most A/V nuts prefer plasmas due to better blacks and color. LCDs are catching up though.
- Don't go by resolution alone, e.g. 1080p. The new Pioneer Kuro is THE display to get. The 42" display is 720p but beats the pants off 1080p displays because of its superb contrast and color.

I'm an AVSforum regular. LCDs are your worst bet unless you're on a tight budget.
Now if you want to honestly know the BEST and I really mean the Best.
Here they are:

1. Sony XBR960 Incredible picture many beleive this is the greatest set ever made. It's perfect if you have a small room since it's a 34". It's no longer being manufactured so you will need ti find it used.

2. Pioneer Kuro 5080HD Amazing colors for your Wii. It is a bit pricey and is great for larger room. If I'm not mistaken it's ranked #1 on CNET reviews. problem is you need to really drop more dollars in your piggy bank as it will cost you at least $2,000.

Back