What is the best TV to buy for Wii ???

So just to get this straight... technically speaking, the Wii can only output in 480p right? And don't most HD channels on television output in 720p resolution? So a 32" 720p LCD would be a solid bet for me if I want progressive-scan from my Wii, HD channels, but I'm on a modest budget? Like 1080p isn't that just like Blu-ray movies you purchase and such.

720p

Vanquish23 said:
So just to get this straight... technically speaking, the Wii can only output in 480p right? And don't most HD channels on television output in 720p resolution? So a 32" 720p LCD would be a solid bet for me if I want progressive-scan from my Wii, HD channels, but I'm on a modest budget? Like 1080p isn't that just like Blu-ray movies you purchase and such.

720p is fine. The difference between 720p and 1080p is like orange juice and orange juice with pulp. Blu-Ray movies can play in any resolution but will look nice on 720p though. The problem here though, is that there is not a lot of 720p TVs on the market. Right now the mass is 1080p HDTV's.

gnahc79 said:
Oh geez. Go to avsforum, repeat that post, and see what happens :eek:ut:

- Plasmas are just fine, if not better than LCDs. Most A/V nuts prefer plasmas due to better blacks and color. LCDs are catching up though.
- Don't go by resolution alone, e.g. 1080p. The new Pioneer Kuro is THE display to get. The 42" display is 720p but beats the pants off 1080p displays because of its superb contrast and color.

PLEASE!!! The TVs are 1080p for a reason!!! OK! A 720p is not better than 1080p and LCD is much better, within 5 years i can guarentey that u will regret buying a plasma... it is OLD TECHNOLOGY!:crazy:

What is this "old technology" crap? Color LCDs started appearing in the mid 80's. Color Plasma first appeared in the early 90s. Both technologies have their monochrome roots in the 60's. I don't know enough about plasma to make a judgement one way or another but if anything LCD is the older technology. Not that being older automatically makes something inferior.

1) Please be up to date on the current technology for plasmas and LCDs.
- There is no burn-in/IR issue anymore
- The lifespan is a non-issue with plasmas now, e.g. 60,000 hrs for my 42" Panasonic 9uk.
2) The advantage of LCDs is price and power consumption. There are no PQ advantages over plasma. LCD is catching up and for many the PQ for LCDs is sufficient. Just because it's on torch mode at BB doesn't mean the PQ is better. It's all about color.
3) The ISF lists resolution 4th on the list of importance for PQ. Contrast ratio, color saturation, and color accuracy are ahead of resolution.
4) 1080p is almost a waste for displays less than 50". There's a viewing distance/resolution chart online, go find it.

Don't buy into resolution alone. The only reason people think it's the most important specification is because it's the easiest to market to consumers.

Do your homework and you will find that the Pioneer Kuro is THE display to get now.

Last edited:
OF COURSE PLASMA IS OLD TECHNOLOGY!!!
Come over to my house, I have a SED TV an 80" OLED and a 100 inch Super Hi Vision display!!! Plasmas are so "2010"!!

Anyway baack to being serious. I have to agree that the Kuro is an amazing TV. But if you have a small room it might be too much. There is a such thing as too much screen. Let us know how big the room you're planning on placing this TV in is.

look here for comparisons between LCD and Plasma TV as well as the advantages and disadvantages between the two

If you want to claim that plama is old and what not please prove proof.... instead of empty claims....

maybe more important your thread i will quote if you don't want to read all the info

3. What advantages does plasma have over LCD?
Apart from better contrast due to its ability to show deeper blacks, plasma screens typically have better viewing angles than LCD. Viewing angles are how far you can sit on either side of a screen before the picture's quality is affected. You tend to see some brightness and colour shift when you're on too far of an angle with LCDs, while a plasma's picture remains fairly solid. This is steadily changing, however, with more and more LCDs entering the market with viewing angles equal to or greater than some plasmas. Plasmas can also produce a brighter colour, once again due to light leakage on an LCD affecting its colour saturation.

Plasma pundits will also tell you that some LCD screens have a tendency to blur images, particularly during fast moving scenes in movies or in sports. While that was true for older generation LCD screens, newer models have improved significantly -- so much so that the differences in performance between LCDs and plasmas in this regard is almost negligible (here's a tip -- if you're shopping for LCDs, check the pixel response time, measured in ms. The lower it is, the better the image quality in fast moving scenes).

A new 42" plasma from Hitachi

Traditionally, the biggest advantage plasmas have had over their LCD cousins is price, particularly in the large screen end of the market. In the past 12 months, this has changed, with LCDs matching or even beating plasmas in both resolution and price. Plasmas being sold in Australia generally run between 42-inches and 63-inches wide, with the cheapest standard definition 42-inch selling for approximately AU$2,300 (although you can expect to find sets cheaper than AU$2,000 in real world prices). 60-inch and above plasmas can go for as much as $25,000.

LCDs, on the other hand, generally top out around the 52-inch mark -- though there is now a ludicrously expensive 70-inch Sony available -- but are incredibly competitive with similar-sized plasmas. In the six months since we last updated this feature, prices of the replacements of two flagship TVs have dropped by a third. Sony's high end 52-inch KDL52W3100 LCD, for example, retails for AU$6,799 (down from AU$9,999), while Pioneer's top of the line 50-inch PDP-LX508A plasma goes for AU$$7,999 (down from AU$10,999).

4. What advantages does LCD have over plasma?
Apart from being price competitive, LCD has the edge over plasma in several other key areas. LCDs tend to have higher native resolution than plasmas of similar size, which means more pixels on a screen.

LCDs also tend to consume less power than plasma screens, with some estimates ranging that power saving at up to 30 per cent less than plasma. LCDs are also generally lighter than similar sized plasmas, making it easier to move around or wall mount.

LCD pundits also point to the fact that LCDs have a longer lifespan than plasma screens. This was true of earlier plasma models, which would lose half of their brightness after more than 20,000 hours of viewing. Later plasma generations have bumped that up to anything between 30,000 and 60,000 hours. LCDs, on the other hand, are guaranteed for 60,000 hours.

You might have also heard that plasmas suffer from screen burn in, an affliction not as commonly associated with LCDs. Screen burn in occurs when an image is left too long on a screen, resulting in a ghost of that image burned in permanently. Newer plasmas are less susceptible to this thanks to improved technology and features such as screen savers, but burn-in is still a problem. But after a few days of use most burnt-in images will fade -- they are no longer permanent.

Sharp's Aquos LC37AX3X

5. Which is better value for me right now: plasma or LCD?
If you're in the market for a big screen television -- and we're talking 50-inches and above -- then we'd suggest plasma as a safe bet. Plasmas give you more bang for your buck at the big end of town, and while LCDs can give you better resolution, plasma still has the edge in terms of picture quality. One other thing to look for, whether you opt for plasma or LCD, is an integrated tuner -- many TVs still have analogue tuners, which look pretty terrible on a large screen. Try to get a model with an inbuilt HD tuner if you can.

At the smaller end of things (15" to 42" TVs), LCD is the only way to go if you want something slim and tasteful. And the best thing is that LCDs are getting cheaper all the
http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

as well as which one is best for you
also if you are tinking about 1080p realize rite now that there arn't that many sources of that for now and it may be that when 1080 becomes mainstream you may need or may be considering a new TV already. also you thread is "what is the best TV to buy for WIi" meaning you are only looking for up to 480p...

Last edited:
i play my wii on a LG HD, which looks really nice, too bad wii isnt HD

Thank you for that CLish. But the original question was to buy a small cheap screen, thus why i said to go for LCD!

Back