What Is The PS3 Really Worth?

I Think the price is fine, and im from Uk. I lol at use Americans saying $599 is dear, we are paying like $830 in your money for the Ps3.

PS3 is not worth it. If it was I would have gotten it already. There simply aren't enough games. The Blu-ray feature is not but I'm not going to buy it just for that especially since Blu-ray is not established. There aren't even that many Blu-Ray movies. PS3 is too expensive too but I guess that's just a result of it not having enough content to make me shell out the cash.

Because the PS3 doesn't stand out from the 360 that much in overall power. I say $400. Now the original system, which had all the memory card and controller ports, Blue Ray burning features, a more powerful cell chip, and other stuff they showed off at E3 2005 was priced at $1000. Personally I say Sony should have just released the $1000 version from the start, rather than stripping out vital parts.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/372019 Lol, just for a laugh.

Last edited:
sagema said:
Because the PS3 doesn't stand out from the 360 that much in overall power. I say $400. Now the original system, which had all the memory card and controller ports, Blue Ray burning features, a more powerful cell chip, and other stuff they showed off at E3 2005 was priced at $1000. Personally I say Sony should have just released the $1000 version from the start, rather than stripping out vital parts.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/372019 Lol, just for a laugh.

Just watched the movie...funny as mess. As for the E3 thing is there a link that shows the original product. And I'm shocked that it would have cost 1,000.

spicka said:
I was wondering what everyone thinks the PlayStation 3 is really worth. What would be a reasonable price you would buy it at? Im just curious. Oh and dont say nothing, $1, $2...etc. I want an honest awnser. :D Thanks

Personally i think it would be better about $100 bucks less.

BTW: I do have one

20g-$300
60g-$375

It is worth more than what it sells for because of blu-ray. But I don't have a HDTV and I buy a games console for games. Also, I already have a 360. So, I won't pay any more than £300 for a ps3.

Btw, Sony is not selling 20gb PS3 in North America anymore. That also throws doubt over the model's launch in Europe, Australia, and other territories, where currently only the 60GB version is available.

Last edited:
IF the 20G still existed anywhere that would be around $300.00 and the 60G is definitely at most worth $400.00.

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

* 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
* Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
* Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

* Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
* VRAM: 22.4GB/s
* RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
* SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

* HDD
* Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

* USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
* Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
* SD: standard/mini x 1
* CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2) Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

* Bluetooth (up to 7)
* USB2.0 (wired)
* Wi-Fi (PSP®)
* Network (over IP)

AV Output:

* Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* HDMI: HDMI out x 2
* Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
* Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation CD-ROM
* PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
* CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
* SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
* DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

* PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
* PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
* DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

* PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
* BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

"The details behind the Cell processor, developed jointly by Sony, Toshiba and IBM have been released. The Cell processor is a 64-bit chip similar to PowerPC G5 chips but the Cell processor has been clocked at more than 4GHz and each Cell chip can process 10 threads independent of one another. The Cell chips also consist of 8 "Synergistic Processing Units" with each having 256KB of memory which can handle tasks seperately from the main processor. It has been reported that a Cell CPU could have the potential to reach 4.6GHz in its early forms."

Folding@home has already proven that PS3s are able to process and contribute 10x more than the average computer.

"Researchers from electronics supply chain iSuppli have performed their latest 'teardown analysis' on Sony's new PlayStation 3, and have calculated the manufacturing cost of the 20GB model at at $805.85 - over $300 more than its retail price.

The researchers, who a year ago also measured Microsoft's Xbox 360 hardware at $127 over retail cost, perform the analysis by tallying an estimated cost of each of a console's component parts, not including costs for controllers, cables and packaging.

As their extensive charts reveal, Sony is taking an estimated loss of $306.85 for its 20GB lower-end model, and another $241.35 loss for each 60GB model, compared against their respective $499 and $599 price points.

Though it's not uncommon for initial hardware sales to be priced at a loss for the manufacturer, iSuppli remarks that Sony's cut is "remarkable, even for the video-game console business."

Pegging the high costs of the console on the processing power it provides, iSuppli also remarks that the console is impressive in its design, with senior analyst Andrew Rassweiler saying, “If someone had shown me the PlayStation 3 motherboard from afar without telling me what it was, I would have assumed it was for a network switch or an enterprise server.”

Also impressive to iSuppli is the level of engineering that's gone into the console. "To give an example of how cutting-edge the design is," says Rassweiler, "in the entire history of the iSuppli Teardown Analysis team, we have seen only three semiconductors with 1,200 or more pins. The PlayStation 3 has three such semiconductors all by itself.”

He adds, “There is nothing cheap about the PlayStation 3 design. This is not an adapted PC design. Even beyond the major chips in the PlayStation 3, the other components seem to also be expensive and somewhat exotic.""

Is it worth $599. If you read the above, then theres nothing to debate.
Nuff said. This is a fact, its worth MORE than 599.

Now, if you want to debate the SUBJECTIVE question as to if its worth you spending money on it as a game system? Feel free as its a subjective topic.

Last edited:
its a good console but i thought that the grahics on reistance were going to be better

Yellow_Wii said:
its a good console but i thought that the grahics on reistance were going to be better

a lot of people did. Still a fun game, but its obvious they didnt have enough time to polish the game as well as play with their new system to fully take advantage of its power. As time goes on, and developers learn how to utilize the systems capabilities better, the games will start to look even better. This goes for just about every system on the market right now.

Yellow_Wii said:

I think they are pretty good for a launch game, the online is fun

I don't really want Blu-ray and i don't think many other people do so i think its about $700 Aus.

And of course it's worth it in America. We Aus people are paying $835 USD with our price of $1,000 Aus

Back