What is the Wii Hookup?

tylerbryce

WiiChat Member
Nov 24, 2006
Southern Oklahoma
Does the Wii use the same hook up as every other nintendo product, such as the N64 and the Gamecube, I am getting a wii and need to know weather or not I need to buy a new adapter...:D

Well, what I meant is, my tv does not use the regular red, white, and yellow cords (I cant remember what it is called lol), it uses the single plug, like the ones that you can hook up cables, for cable, and satellite...

The wii uses an AV connection,
in other words, the "regular red, white, and yellow" cords as you call it.....

so you may be out of luck with that television.
Im not sure if the wii can use other adapters though.

can anyone answer this? Personally, I would prefer an adapter.

I just had a blonde moment and forgot what they are called, all I need to know is if it uses the same hookup as the gamecube, if so, then I already have an adapter to hook it up to my tv, if not, then I need to get a different one what I get mine :D (sorry, its just you haven't quite been getting it)

what you're talking about is an RF adapter..

its the box looking thing, you connect the wii to it, and connect your cable to it, and then connect that to the tv..

it was designed for older tvs that didnt have AV input, and only had cable input.

the wii cant use the same sords as other nintendo products, and there arent any wii rf adapters(that i know of) so, you may be out of luck...if you really have NO AV input, then your tv isnt worth having..

tylerbryce said:
I just had a blonde moment and forgot what they are called, all I need to know is if it uses the same hookup as the gamecube, if so, then I already have an adapter to hook it up to my tv, if not, then I need to get a different one what I get mine :D (sorry, its just you haven't quite been getting it)

As long as you were using the standard out-of-the-box cables that came with the gamecube. . .then yes, the Wii uses the same hookups (just the part that connects to the console is different).

csiguy4u said:
As long as you were using the standard out-of-the-box cables that came with the gamecube. . .then yes, the Wii uses the same hookups (just the part that connects to the console is different).

wow way to be completely unhelpful.

The cables you speak of are composite, and almost any TV made after the year 1995 should have these, unless it is extremely cheap. You can get an RF adapter that would work on anything that takes a composite signal. Seriously though, if your TV is that old, its time for a new one. You could also alternatively hook your wii into a VCR or DVR and then just tune to that input on the vcr and you should be good to go. As mentioned above though you are going to have a HUGE decrease in picture quality since you're sending all the video information, plus sound information, plus whatever else its sending over the cable like sync information. If you were able to hook your gamecube up to your TV using the standard cables, you're good to go, composite is composite is composite.

How was answering his question of whether or not the gamecube uses the same connectors as the Wii not helpful? He stated he already had an adapter (which i figured meant an rf modulator) for his gamecube, so naturally since he was probably using the standard gamecube cables, then the standard Wii cables would also work with this adapter he mentioned.

Ok, let me be more specific, I am talking about the thing that hooks into the back of the gamecube, not the tv, not the AV output, but the thing that holds the cord in the back of the Wii,
Photo15.jpg
<-- That is what I am talking about, the thing that hooks to the game, not the tv

Last edited:
kj-fivetweezy said:
well i bet it will come with the hook ups it needs to hook up to ur tv

Dude get rid of that sig... it's stretching out pages.

tylerbryce said:
Ok, let me be more specific, I am talking about the thing that hooks into the back of the gamecube, not the tv, not the AV output, but the thing that holds the cord in the back of the Wii,
Photo15.jpg
<-- That is what I am talking about, the thing that hooks to the game, not the tv

Nope, it uses a new connection.

Because of the addition of component capability within the port, the port had to be redesigned.

Unfortunately, SNES/N64/Gamecube cables don't work on the Wii. The port format didn't allow for component. The Gamecubes with component output actually had a different port, seperately for that. Actually, that jack is completely different, too.

Back