What is the Wii's graphic potential? A little disappointed so far

GypsyKid

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Hello, I'm new to the forums. First post.

I got the Wii a few days ago. I love playing it and don't regret the purchase at all. However, I'm a little disappointed in a few things, but I only want to discuss one.

I was under the impression that even though the Wii is the least graphically capable machine out of the current gen consoles, it still has a lot of power under the hood. Currently, All the games I'm seeing are no better visually than GC games. Is the Wii basically a GC with Wi-Fi and motion sensor controllers?

I'm not expecting much, but at least something that looks better than Xbox classic graphics would be nice.

So really I'm asking those that have a good knowledge of what kind of power the Wii has.....Does this system have the capabilities of delivering games that look close to as nice as a 360 or are we stuck at GCness in that department?

Meow!
(1st: Welcome to the forums.
2nd: Graphics dont matter.
3rd: Have you seen SSBB yet?)
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2vtvUfMZW4[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Wii has great graphic potential far above that of the original Xbox. Not near the 360 though. The problem is developers think they can just port crappy titles, slap on some motion sensitivity, and it'll sell. Very few developers are making original wii titles, therefore they don't bother to upgrade the graphics.

Metriod 3 looks like next gen Graphic's. Zelda wasn't too bad, Mario G and Super Smash look nice too.

Dumbass_Luigi said:
Meow!
(1st: Welcome to the forums.
2nd: Graphics dont matter.
3rd: Have you seen SSBB yet?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2vtvUfMZW4

1st: Thanks!
2nd: Graphics do matter to me somewhat, although how good and fun the game is doesn't really depend on graphics. Nice graphics are nice to look at though.
3rd: That is actually the first time I've seen a preview for Super Smash Brothers. It looks really good I'm going to have to get it when it comes out. It still looks kinda GCish.

Zori said:
Wii has great graphic potential far above that of the original Xbox. Not near the 360 though. The problem is developers think they can just port crappy titles, slap on some motion sensitivity, and it'll sell. Very few developers are making original wii titles, therefore they don't bother to upgrade the graphics.

Is this likely to continue or will the Wii most likely have a lot stronger titles that take advantage of more of its power soon (especially 3rd party developers)?

GypsyKid said:
Hello, I'm new to the forums. First post.

I got the Wii a few days ago. I love playing it and don't regret the purchase at all. However, I'm a little disappointed in a few things, but I only want to discuss one.

I was under the impression that even though the Wii is the least graphically capable machine out of the current gen consoles, it still has a lot of power under the hood. Currently, All the games I'm seeing are no better visually than GC games. Is the Wii basically a GC with Wi-Fi and motion sensor controllers?

I'm not expecting much, but at least something that looks better than Xbox classic graphics would be nice.

So really I'm asking those that have a good knowledge of what kind of power the Wii has.....Does this system have the capabilities of delivering games that look close to as nice as a 360 or are we stuck at GCness in that department?

Wii has better graphical potential than Game Cube, PS 2 and Xbox.

But not xbox360 and PS3 obviously.

So yeh, thats pretty much the answer

Also, gypsy....dont double post....either wait till someone has posted or use the edit button.

Dumbass_Luigi said:
Also, gypsy....dont double post....either wait till someone has posted or use the edit button.

Thanks. I didn't double post however. I was responding to two separate comments by quoting them and adding my question or comment.

GypsyKid said:
Thanks. I didn't double post however. I was responding to two separate comments by quoting them and adding my question or comment.
That still counts.:O

ShawVAuto said:
Get Godfather and that will show you what is on the way for the Wii.

I had it for the Xbox classic. I got bored of it pretty quick. I hear the Wii version is a lot more fun. I might pick it up for the Wii. I'm guessing graphic wise it is probably just a port.

Its a tad cleaner than the XBox version. When you use the remote for the first time to do something, you will be like :yikes: !

Oh yeah, get yourself some component cables, trust. They matter.

ShawVAuto said:
Its a tad cleaner than the XBox version. When you use the remote for the first time to do something, you will be like :yikes: !

Oh yeah, get yourself some component cables, trust. They matter.

Well I think I'll probably give that Godfather a go on the Wii. Not right away though, I still got 3 games that I still haven't even put in the Wii yet.

As far as the component cables go, I got one set of CV jacks on my TV, and I'm using them for my DVD player. Is there a CV switcher box or something of that nature available?

Welcome to wiichat Gypsy.

As people have said most companies underestimated how much the wii would sell and put resources into developing games for the other consoles. Now caught off guard they are scrambling to offer some games on the Wii to make a quick buck off it's success. The games that come out middle to end of this year should definately have better graphics. Look to the first and second party titles. The third parties are jumping on the Wiiwagon fairly quickly and in a year I'm sure we'll see much better graphics in third party games too. I've heard that the wii is about twice as powerful as the PS2, in time we'll really see that.

I totally feel ya about the born again bit, I stopped with consoles at the N64. I've been trolling the forums here since I got my wii. I feel crazy to be so obsessed, but its the truth.

Back