What Makes A Good Fanboy?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual who is devoted, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboy’s come in many shapes and sizes, often pledging allegiance to one of the big three console manufacturers with their money and lives. There’s never been a complete set of rules required for being a Fanboy, but the qualities are so cast in stone from their taste in systems and games, that you’ll certainly be able to spot them when you see them. Fanboys can usually be found lurking around forums on anything game related. They usually despise the systems with such a bitter passion that all logic and reason is suspended in conversing with them about systems that they don’t care for. After being presented with the topic, I decided to put down the controller and make a list, of some common conceptions, traits and general fanboyisms.

First let’s break it down in to the three categories based on the current generation of systems starting with the PS3.

Playstation 3 Fanboys usually consist of people who have a strong devotion to the PlayStation brand. In previous generations they were like fans of a dynasty sports team and praised all things Sony. With the PS3 currently holding down the rear in system placement this gen, Sony Fanboys beat on their chest and tout the PlayStation’s Blu-ray player as the steam that will propel Sony back to glory as well as the list of Sony’s exclusives for the system. Sony Fanboys are quick to point to the Xbox 360 and its high failure rate and call the Wii too “kiddy”. They are usually called “Waitstation” fans or often knocked for owning what other Fanboys call a George Foreman Grill.

You can often find Xbox 360 Fanboys ragging on the PS3 fans for the system being in last place and losing exclusive games. They usually tout the 360’s multi-platform games for getting better reviews and running a little bit better on the 360 than the PS3. They champion Xbox LIVE as one of the main reasons why the 360 is the better system on the market and call Wii Fanboys “kiddy” also. This group is often called “Xbots” and digs are made against them for the infamous RRoD.

And last but not least we have the Nintendo Wii Fanboys. Wii Fanboys are often cut from the die-hard Nintendo cloth. They are strong supporters of 1st Party Nintendo games and often use the “gameplay is better than graphics” to reinforce why they believe the Wii is the system to own. This group is often knocked on for the graphical output of the Wii (the system is often inventively called “Wiik”), and the game play mechanics that the Wiimote uses.

Now, while those are pretty general assessments, you will in fact find some people that are “Wii60” fanboys, “PSWii” fanboys, or even “PS360″ Fanboys. But usually many have a favorite system that they will defend to their last breath.

Fanboys employ many tactics to get their point across, from trolling, to bringing up sales data, attach rates, and the number of quality games available or not available for a system. There’s no reasoning behind personal taste. But I can assure you if you want some high-end internet entertainment, feel free to drop into a heated debate amongst Fanboys. In fact you should go check out the forums at VGCharts, GameSpot, GameFaqs, or hit N4G’s comment area.

Being a Fanboy isn’t just limited to being a fan of a particular system. You can be a fan of a certain game, series, or genre. Battles between Fanboys of games is usually tame, but ties closely into what system the respective parties own.

You can also look at your gaming habits and the way you react to certain things to determine if you have a little Fanboy fanaticism in you.

Is your devotion to video games so severe that you are willing to sacrifice work, your significant other, and personal grooming just to play in a dark room? Those things can wait, trying to beat down a Big Daddy in BioShock is a once-in-a-lifetime affair.

Does a bad day for you consist of a release date getting pushed back? I seriously wanted to punch a baby when Condemned 2: Bloodshot got pushed back a few weeks, I almost wanted to sit outside of SEGA headquarters with a sign saying “Scare me now!”

What else is going to get you screaming and yelling at 3 in the morning? Nothing, that’s what. The joy from dry-humping a game into submission cannot be measured. That is a fact.

Source

Nice find. I don't think I am any of them to be honest.

Im a retro fanboy
Still prefuer Duke nukem 3d to Half life 2

That fills me full of dred
Duke nukem 3d beein retro

A fanboy? To a game or game-related item such as a character?

I don't think so.

*looks at every post he has ever made*

Well maybe a little bit...

shock5sa6.jpg

Im a Prinny fanboy

I don't go in for fanboyism. I don't really understand the point of being loyal to a particular company over another, when all any of them want is your money. If a particular game or console isn't very good I won't hold back on criticising it, regardless of console or series. Different publishers/developers have their strengths and weaknesses, which is why I think it's best to play the field. Take Nintendo for example: as a developer I think they make some fantastic games, but as a publisher I think they're arrogant, petty, extremely rude to European gamers, and prone to ridiculous arbitrary decisions.

I would say that at the moment, I'm more of a Wii fanboy, though I don't like to label myself as such. I have a ps3, as well, but at the moment, I think the Wii is the best out of the three next-gen systems.

The ps3 doesn't have a large enough selection of the games I would like to play, and it's costly. I do use it to watch movies, and while Blu-Ray does indeed look spectacular on a big-screen TV, that shouldn't be it's selling point. It needs better games...or, perhaps it just needs more games. Games that I'm looking forward to on the ps3 aren't going to be coming around anytime soon...games like FFXIII. I'm not into shooters, sports games (with the exception of, say, THPS games or Mario games, which I don't think really count), and the like...which seems to be what the ps3 and 360 are all about, at the moment. More so with the 360, I think.

Rather, I would prefer a cheaper system that introduces innovation, quality titles that I'm interested in, and user-friendliness. While the Wii is certainly lacking in power when compared to the other next-gen systems, graphics should not be the focus of a game. Nice graphics are good and all, but gameplay truly does matter first and foremost. Not only that, but I've grown up with Nintendo's superb first-party games...and as they continue to evolve and offer fun, unique gaming, I will continue to stay by Nintendo's side.

Back