What Mode of Wireless?

Maccc

WiiChat Member
Sep 19, 2007
This may be just dumb, but I am looking into getting a Wii and wondering if it would work for me.

My AV stuff is setup in an enclosed closet about 10' from where the TV hangs on the wall. I use a BT keyboard and an RF universal remote to control everything.

Would the Wii controller work (BT?) without anything like a bar under the TV (not an option)?

If not, are there any 3rd party controllers which would work without a line-of-sight, either through BT or RF?

Thanks!

well you need to have the wireless sensor bar which can sit on top of or under the tv, one comes with the wii but you can buy a nyko wireless sensor bar for about 20 dollars

Thanks!

I was afraid of this. Unfortunately, the bar will not look great in my setting:-(

So, nobody makes actual controllers which are BT or RF and can just communicate either directly with the Wii, or through a dongle?

If not, someone really should...:)

ericlewis91 said:
its bluetooth

That's what I thought..., but then why the need for the bar?

Could the controller connect directly to the Wii without a line of sight, and if so, at what distance?

i think the movements are what you need the sensor bar for because it picks up the movement and the buttons work through bluetooth

krisv2010 said:
i think the movements are what you need the sensor bar for because it picks up the movement and the buttons work through bluetooth

O.K, I see....

I thought that with Nintendo's investment in Gyration, it worked kind of like the old Gyration remote/mouse combo I had, which had motion sensing and RF.

Bummer:-(

why not just buy the wireless sensor bar and tape it to the top of your tv?

haha it doesn't hurt the looks of your tv if your tv is black, actually it kinda blends in and looks good but if your tv is white or another color then i don't know what to tell you

Howdy!

The Wii documentation said NOT to locate the sensor bar on a shelf on the stand under the TV, but since it wouldn't hurt anything, I tried it, works great!

It's also unnoticeable - it's sitting just in front of our DTV box and DVD player (the player drawer actually opens +over+ it :D ). I used the little clear stand to give it a little more height.

Umm, to (poorly) illustrate the arrangement:

[*****] < TV
-------- < Top of Stand
--+++-- < First shelf of stand, +++ = sensor bar :)
-------- < Second shelf with PS2 and Wii
-------- < Bottom Amp, Preamp

The shelf it about an knee height, so it's fairly LOW, but it works sitting in the room 10+ feet away, or standing to one side (like for bowling).

Hope that helps (and you enjoyed my ascii art :lol: )

~DT

See, mine is like this:

|
|
||
||T
||V
||
|
|____
|bertoia
|bench

So, it's just a clean wall with a TV hanging on it (no visible wires.) That's why I was hoping for a fully RF or BT solution. Maybe someone will make it....

Last edited:
so how do you get you hook stuff up to your tv if its just hanging on a wall with no visible wires?

Actually, what your asking for is impossible. The sensor bar is there to give the IR sensors on the Wiimote a fixed point to calculate from. Without that fixed point, the Wiimote has no frame of reference and will not work.

If you want a Wii, you will HAVE to have a sensor bar, sorry

krisv2010 said:
so how do you get you hook stuff up to your tv if its just hanging on a wall with no visible wires?

Had all wiring go into the wall behind the TV and run in-wall to my AV closet. I like the clean look:)

Maleko said:
Actually, what your asking for is impossible. The sensor bar is there to give the IR sensors on the Wiimote a fixed point to calculate from. ...

I suppose it makes sense, although I did have an RF remote/mouse from Gyration (Nintendo made an investment in them and acquired rights to the technology,) which tracked fine on screen without needing a bar for reference. Maybe it needs to be faster reacting or more precise for games, I guess.

Anyway, I kind of do want the Wii, so I think I'll try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87005-Wii-Wireless-Sensor/dp/B000LFJNG6

and drag it out when I need it, then put it away again.

Thanks!

Back