What religion are you?

Pfft, that doesn't stop most christians in the world.

completely wrong. the majority of christians out there keep their mouths shut about their beliefs. there is a common fear of speaking out. some christians open their motuhs widely, some speak softly, but most stay quiet.

Yeah, I usually don't speak of religion in every day convos. It's not that I feel awkward, its just that it isn't something I can talk about for that long. I don't know that much to have a full conversation on the topic.

I used to be agnostic. To me, it really isn't a permanent system like many people make it out to be. Agnostic means "Without Knowledge". The term was coined by Thomas Huxley, a supporter of Charles Darwin. Most people seem to think it is a creed or way to live by. Thomas Huxley didn't intend this at all. Agnosticism is not a creed, it is a method. Agnosticism is a temporary position until someone comes to a more definite conclusion.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. While some agnostics say they are so because they personally don't know whether there is a God or not, others use this term to mean that it's impossible to know whether there is a God or not, which is certainly a permanent stance. You fall into the former, which, yes, would probably eventually lead to either full-blown theism or atheism. However, other agnostics never drop the title. They become 'agnostically theist' or 'agnostically atheist', as if to say "There's no way to prove it, but this is what I believe in."
I admittedly don't like the term 'Agnostic' being thrown around as if it were an actual religious stance, though, because I don't think it is. It doesn't really say anything about whether you think there's a God or not. I would like to hear from an agnostic on this subject.

I admittedly don't like the term 'Agnostic' being thrown around as if it were an actual religious stance, though, because I don't think it is. It doesn't really say anything about whether you think there's a God or not. I would like to hear from an agnostic on this subject.

OK.

I basically believe that no matter how much scientific research is done, we will never find proof to whether there is a god or not. So I think it's silly to say for sure that you know that there is no god, or that you know for sure that there is a god. No sides have proof. No sides will ever have proof. I'm agnostic because I have realized that.

**** just makes no sense really, we're all just making guesses. I choose not to make a guess. I suppose that I believe that there could be some sort of god that made the beginning of everything, but then I always just think of where that god came from. If I think about the whole universe started by one cell theory, I think of where that cell came from. So in my eyes neither side makes sense.

Ah, that makes sense then. I don't know if I'd be able to not lean one way at all, though. Thanks.

EDIT: Still though, I wouldn't consider that a religious stance. It's more like...an ideological one. That's your opinion concerning the debate over religion, not your actual religion. Do you agree, or no?

EDIT: Still though, I wouldn't consider that a religious stance. It's more like...an ideological one. That's your opinion concerning the debate over religion, not your actual religion. Do you agree, or no?

I guess you could say that. In that case I just wouldn't be considered a follower of any religion then.

I'm 12, I just think that the idea of God is kind of unrealistic. I guess I'd say I'm atheist, but I still go to church with my mom. It just sees like someone sat down, wrote a story, and said it was true. There is absolutely no proof of any of this really happening. I could say that I was alive in a past life back when dinosaurs were around, but does that mean it's true, with no proof at all, no one would believe me. Why not think the same about the story of jesus?

I may be taking this in a scientific manner but really, do we have any evidence?

Um, perhaps it's because we have plentiful evidence for Jesus' existence. No serious scholar doubts he actually existed, whereas your story is complete trash that you just pulled out of no where. I doubt many scholars would believe you.

I used to be agnostic. To me, it really isn't a permanent system like many people make it out to be. Agnostic means "Without Knowledge". The term was coined by Thomas Huxley, a supporter of Charles Darwin. Most people seem to think it is a creed or way to live by. Thomas Huxley didn't intend this at all. Agnosticism is not a creed, it is a method. Agnosticism is a temporary position until someone comes to a more definite conclusion.

Very interesting thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. While some agnostics say they are so because they personally don't know whether there is a God or not, others use this term to mean that it's impossible to know whether there is a God or not, which is certainly a permanent stance. You fall into the former, which, yes, would probably eventually lead to either full-blown theism or atheism. However, other agnostics never drop the title. They become 'agnostically theist' or 'agnostically atheist', as if to say "There's no way to prove it, but this is what I believe in."

Agnostically Theist? A theist that claims that his or her religion cannot be proven is still a theist. He or she is just thinking realistically. It really does not make he or she an agnostic for admitting something to be true.

Agnostically Atheist? I don't believe in a god, but I cannot prove god does not exist. Isn't that a stance taken by most atheists already? I would imagine most atheists would follow a religion or path if conclusive evidence to that religion or path was given to the atheist.

So, if agnosticism is not a religious stance ( or lack thereof), what is it exactly?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read your edit on your next post. An ideological stance, eh? In this topic, ideology and religious belief are pretty similar.

Last edited:
OK.

I basically believe that no matter how much scientific research is done, we will never find proof to whether there is a god or not. So I think it's silly to say for sure that you know that there is no god, or that you know for sure that there is a god. No sides have proof. No sides will ever have proof. I'm agnostic because I have realized that.

**** just makes no sense really, we're all just making guesses. I choose not to make a guess. I suppose that I believe that there could be some sort of god that made the beginning of everything, but then I always just think of where that god came from. If I think about the whole universe started by one cell theory, I think of where that cell came from. So in my eyes neither side makes sense.

I really wouldn't call Atheism a guess. An atheist looks at religion and says " There is no evidence to conclude this deity exists, therefore I will not believe in it, or any other. It's like anything else. I do not see a red ball on the floor, so I can conclude there is no red ball on the floor.

Theism is a guess based on faith.

OK.

That's a good standpoint. I guess that's what I am. I really don't care. And neither of them have any proof whatsoever. Thank you for saying this, I have realized my place in life xD.

Back