What TV should I buy for BRAWL?

Mario777

WiiChat Member
Dec 12, 2007
I'm going to buy a new TV just for BRAWL near the end of January.
I want it to be 32-40". I want a flat screen and I have heard people say HDTV lags for video games or something. I will ONLY be using the TV for the Wii. Any basic suggestions for me? Like what to avoid and what to look for?
Or can anyone tell me a forum or place were I can ask about this?

wow its not that deep! Graphics are not going to be that much if even better than Galaxy. I guess i realy got to get this game now you guys make it seem like its the second coming of Christ!

Get a Samsung flat screen tv, one of the best brands to get... me and all my friends got one and there all 40 inch too.

Check bestbuys or circuitcity, recommended places to look and to find good tvs.

get a 32" LCD HDTV. i say HD because in january of 09 everything is being switched over to HD and all analog TVs will be obsolete. so if you ever plan on hooking a satalite TV reciever up to it, it's gotta be HD.

you can probably get a 32 inch LCD for 5-600 bucks if you shop around.

Woah, and Ninty fanboys complain that Halo was over rated ¬_¬

That's actually completely sad.

surfinrach90 said:
Woah, and Ninty fanboys complain that Halo was over rated ¬_¬

That's actually completely sad.

Completely agree! You just made it to my sig!

SensesFail said:
get a 32" LCD HDTV. i say HD because in january of 09 everything is being switched over to HD and all analog TVs will be obsolete. so if you ever plan on hooking a satalite TV reciever up to it, it's gotta be HD.

you can probably get a 32 inch LCD for 5-600 bucks if you shop around.

Not true.
The conversion in 2009 is to digital NOT high-def, big difference.

And you can hook up any satellite receiver to an analog TV.

To the OP: do some research on the subject. You should be able to find plenty of web sites that are geared to answering your question.

I would post a link, but I'm not sure about this site's policy on that.

Good luck!

kapeman said:
Not true.
The conversion in 2009 is to digital NOT high-def, big difference.

And you can hook up any satellite receiver to an analog TV.

To the OP: do some research on the subject. You should be able to find plenty of web sites that are geared to answering your question.

I would post a link, but I'm not sure about this site's policy on that.

Good luck!
your right, i wrote that at six thirty in the morning, and i was going off of what some speaker from ITT Tech told me. and i hear you can get a 50 dollar descrabler or w/e for your analog tv but i can imagine the picture would be total crap after that.

Newer "flat screen" TV's don't have any problems with artifacting or ghosting as the older ones did. A good solid brand such as samsung or sony will do you well. For that size, I would recommend an LCD TV. Its too small for DLP (which are cheaper) and the prices start in good comparison to plasma (although plasma gets alot cheaper as you get bigger).

LCD TV's are lighter, thinner, use less energy and produce less heat (people that worry about electric cost and stuff thats nice to know) than plasma. The main problem with them is "artifcating" at higher speed graphics. Most LCD TV's (non generic brands) today easily have a 8 ms refresh rate or less, which virtually elimates this problem. Plasma's have "ghosting" and burn-in problems but, again, are alot better than a year before. Plasmas tend to be thicker, heavier, use alot more energy and produce more heat, but are cheaper.

Also, from direct personal experience, the cabling is EVERYTHING. I had a very good quality HDMI cable for my TV that my dog chewed up. I got a cheaper brand to save some bucks, and instantly I had some artifacting problems. My advice, spend the extra bucks and get monster component cables or any other good brand. With good cables and a good brand TV, you won't have any problems.

Monster Componet Cables + Samsung LCD HD TV and no atifcating playing the Wii at all.

P.S. - if you really want to save money, 720p could save a couple hundred. Current usage of 1080p are HD DVD & Blu Ray devices (includes xbox and ps3). If you don't plan to invest in any of those items anytime soon and need to save, go with 720p

pipcecil said:
P.S. - if you really want to save money, 720p could save a couple hundred. Current usage of 1080p are HD DVD & Blu Ray devices (includes xbox and ps3). If you don't plan to invest in any of those items anytime soon and need to save, go with 720p

Some good answers in this thread - seems like as recent as 2-3 months ago, TV question threads were always filled with inaccuracies.

The one thing I would add is the set size (and related viewing distance) has some bearing on the resolution. I'd say up to ~40", a 720P is more than adequate, 55" and up definitely a 1080P set, and that nebulous space between 1080P unless the price factors in too much (then you can save a few $$$ on a 720P set).

FWIW, down-converted 1080 source from HD-D/BD or broadcast 1080 HD can still look amazing on a 720P set. I know you said for the Wii only, but I'd always buy a set based on specs, price, viewing distance/room size and let the videogame stuff just work itself out :D

RE: the already corrected 2009 Digital Cutover - that seems to be confusing a majority of people since they're thinking Digital = HD (when in fact a huge number of those people are probably digital subscribers to Cable/Sat running analog sets from a digital STB!).

pipcecil said:
Newer "flat screen" TV's don't have any problems with artifacting or ghosting as the older ones did. A good solid brand such as samsung or sony will do you well. For that size, I would recommend an LCD TV. Its too small for DLP (which are cheaper) and the prices start in good comparison to plasma (although plasma gets alot cheaper as you get bigger).

LCD TV's are lighter, thinner, use less energy and produce less heat (people that worry about electric cost and stuff thats nice to know) than plasma. The main problem with them is "artifcating" at higher speed graphics. Most LCD TV's (non generic brands) today easily have a 8 ms refresh rate or less, which virtually elimates this problem. Plasma's have "ghosting" and burn-in problems but, again, are alot better than a year before. Plasmas tend to be thicker, heavier, use alot more energy and produce more heat, but are cheaper.

Also, from direct personal experience, the cabling is EVERYTHING. I had a very good quality HDMI cable for my TV that my dog chewed up. I got a cheaper brand to save some bucks, and instantly I had some artifacting problems. My advice, spend the extra bucks and get monster component cables or any other good brand. With good cables and a good brand TV, you won't have any problems.

Monster Componet Cables + Samsung LCD HD TV and no atifcating playing the Wii at all.

Monster Cables are seriously overpriced and are not worth it, period. There are better options out there for analog cables. HDMI cables are digital so functionality and performance is binary, either it works great or it doesn't work at all. All of this is besides the point since the Wii runs at 480p and you have only a few choices for component cables. If I had the $$$ I would get a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma....yummy. Oh, my 42" Panasonic 9uk works great.

Back