What TV To Get???

Mau said:
the bigger the better.....

unless you are just choosing between a 30 and a 32 for example... if it is for 2-4 inches, I'll get the better image, but if you find a deal for a bigger one, like if you are between a nice picture 32 inch and a ok 37, I'll get the 37
LOL That is wrong in every sense.

LG makes a good TV without the hefty price tag. Another thing that you might want to look at is the number and type of inputs.

Don't be fooled by the 37" Sceptre TV posted recently. If the TV is 1366 x 768 the maximum resolution you will see is 720p. It will not show 1080p even through HDMI.

Last edited:
What's up people. I'm in a bit of a quandary here so I will get right to the point.
720p or 1080p? then LCD or plasma?
I was looking at plasma but plasma burn in was a big turn off. LCD response time is going to be an issue for me since it will primarily be used for games. Would there be a big difference between 8ms and 5ms? Thanks.

If you are looking to buy a new TV for video games plasma probably isn't the best because of burn in. Alot of new TVs won't get it as easily and have settings to correct it, but it will still be a problem. Though for a larger TV (42"+) plasma will be cheaper.

Going with 720p right now is not a bad decision. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p. The only thing you will be able to view in FullHD is a PS3, Blu-ray movie, or HDDVD. 1080p sets are expensive right now, in 2 or 3 years when 1080p becomes more common the prices will drop.

Response time will only be a problem if you choose to go with a small LCD. Common flat panel sizes will mostly be 4ms.

Consider these when choosing a TV:
Size of TV
Lighting in the room (windows or a generally bright room)
Primary use of TV (which you have already stated is gaming)

I'm looking at the Sharp Aquos 32" LCD HDTV (LC32D62U). Here's the stats:
32" duh, 2000:1, 1920x1080, 1080p, 6ms, Standard TV tuner, 2 HDMI, 3 composite, 1 Svideo, 1 optical out.
There's NO PC, RF, or DVI inputs. Also NO HD tuner.
I'm going to use it for games but it has no HD tuner and I want to use it to well...WATCH TV at some point! There's no RF, which isn't a big deal since it's an antiquated interface, but most TVs come with it. Anyways, main gripe= no HD tuner. It's about US$1500

I'm almost positive that TV has an HD tuner.

Circuit Town says that it's not included and CeeNet says yes. It may be useless to ask the TV "experts" at my local Circuit Town for help. Anyway, thanks for your input. Who would think that buying a good TV would be such a pain in the ass.

Master Foot said:
I'm looking at the Sharp Aquos 32" LCD HDTV (LC32D62U). Here's the stats:
32" duh, 2000:1, 1920x1080, 1080p, 6ms, Standard TV tuner, 2 HDMI, 3 composite, 1 Svideo, 1 optical out.
There's NO PC, RF, or DVI inputs. Also NO HD tuner.
I'm going to use it for games but it has no HD tuner and I want to use it to well...WATCH TV at some point! There's no RF, which isn't a big deal since it's an antiquated interface, but most TVs come with it. Anyways, main gripe= no HD tuner. It's about US$1500

The D62U Series are HDTVs with built-in ATSC / QAM / NTSC tuners and include 2 HDMI™ inputs, compatible with 1080p signals, and 2 HD component video inputs. The D62U Series features a sleek piano black cabinet.:thumbsup:

MasterJedi2U said:
I'm aiming for a 37' TV...the problem though is that I'm afraid that my parents are going to claim it as their own tv and when I'm ready to move out or w/e that it won't be coming along for the trip....but yeah all in all I'm not going to sacrifice quality for a lower price. Not in this day and age.

This looks like a nice product though...I'd definitely buy it in a heartbeat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Panasonic-VIERA-37-HDTV-Plasma-Flat-Panel-TV_W0QQitemZ110110144781QQihZ001QQcategoryZ61400QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can someone please explaim to me VGA vs HDMI vs Component. I know component cables are pretty good according to most people. Which out of the three is the BEST? What do the letters stand for?

HDMI is the best! High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is an all-digital audio/video interface capable of transmitting uncompressed streams. up to 1080p.

Video Graphics Array (VGA) is an analog computer display standard first marketed in 1987 by IBM. It has been technologically outdated in the PC market for some time but in the pocket PC market it is currently becoming the standard. VGA was the most recent graphical standard that the majority of manufacturers conformed to, making it the lowest common denominator that all PC graphics hardware supports before a device-specific driver is loaded into the computer. up to 1080p.

Component video is a video signal that has been split into two or more components. In popular use, it refers to a type of analog video information that is transmitted or stored as three separate signals. Component video can be contrasted with composite video (such as NTSC or PAL) in which all the video information is combined into a single line level signal. Up to 1080i.

I've been looking into Vizio hdtv's. I was thinking about getting a 32" or 37". Anybody had any experience with these tvs?

I have 2 friends with Vizios. They are astounded with the quality picture they got for the price they paid. Me on the other hand, think they look like ****.

Jorge said:
I have 2 friends with Vizios. They are astounded with the quality picture they got for the price they paid. Me on the other hand, think they look like ****.

Why do you think they do not look good?

Low contrast ratio causes a washed out image.

Back