what's better wii lan cable or wi-fi usb?

K-ody

Nintendo Wii owner.
Jul 30, 2007
Otsego,MN
Wii Online Code
1803-1755-9507-7251
i'm done dealing with a wireless router for wiiconnect it keeps randomly disconnecting. so i'm going out the day after tomorrow to get either a wii lan cable or a nintendo wi-fi usb, of course i want to get the wifi usb but not if i will be having any disconnect problems at all. so if anyone has personal experience on what is the better choice speed-wise and connection-wise please, please help me out here.

um, same thing used to happen to me change you wireless channel to 11

i have a linksys router, no channels

omg.....

ok go to this website

http://192.168.1.1/

then leave username blank and make sure you pass word is 'admin' no quotes. then up top it says "wireless" go there and your channell is probably on 6 change it to 11 then hit save your all done

but other than it's not wireless, i've heard nothing bad about the wii lan cable. so does that plugs right into the modem?

will that work if i'm using just the router and not the software for it?

because my comp can't read the router and therefore cannot finish installation of software.

but the router works great with everything else, the only problem i've had with the random disconnect on the wii
both my laptops work fine

Im getting Lan cause its a direct connection and those are the strongest. My router is upstairs and my wii is downstairs so it always d/c's, but im not gonna buy one untill mario kart online comes out.

The Wifi usb seems to be causing the most problems out of all 3...bad idea! The LAN adapter is fantastic, except for the wire that may have to go across the room depending on where your modem is (yes, it does connect directly to your modem with an ethernet cable). By far though, a router is the way to go! Do like TitansATB suggested and change your channel, this should correct your problems. And you may wanna stop all the double/triple/quadruple posting before you get in trouble with a moderator, you can simply edit your original post...just trying to help you out, hope you fix your ordeal!

WiiBad said:
The Wifi usb seems to be causing the most problems out of all 3...bad idea! The LAN adapter is fantastic, except for the wire that may have to go across the room depending on where your modem is (yes, it does connect directly to your modem with an ethernet cable). By far though, a router is the way to go! Do like TitansATB suggested and change your channel, this should correct your problems. And you may wanna stop all the double/triple/quadruple posting before you get in trouble with a moderator, you can simply edit your original post...just trying to help you out, hope you fix your ordeal!

Yes, but what do u say about being out of range?

Out of range from the/a router? That could pose a problem, but is highly unlikely within one's home. I have heard of people making connections from, shall we say, quite a ways off.

yeah i used to be connecting to a router across the street with 2/3 bars, and im currently picking one from down the street with 1/3 and i live farther away from the street than most people, i got a long driveway.

Last edited:
My wlan router brok so i link up to the gay guy net work upstairs condos rock !!
And he is not the happy gay

K-ody said:
i'm done dealing with a wireless router for wiiconnect it keeps randomly disconnecting. so i'm going out the day after tomorrow to get either a wii lan cable or a nintendo wi-fi usb, of course i want to get the wifi usb but not if i will be having any disconnect problems at all. so if anyone has personal experience on what is the better choice speed-wise and connection-wise please, please help me out here.

alright a few things..
1)
First off changing your channel will work only if other networks in the area are using the same channel or near your own channel as they generate interferance.

the biggest frequency gap is 1, 6, 10 (those three channels dont overlap each other. everything in between does).

ex. If your router is set to channel 6 and the neighbours is on 5. Use channel 10 as it has the greatest range in frequencies to negate the interferance.

2) BlueTooth devices KILLS! Bluetooth uses high-powered frequency hopping narrow band transmissions. These things just over power wifi connections and is a huge interference generator. If you have any of these devices in the room as your wii/router get rid of them or turn them off. Some cell phones also use blue tooth.

Also 2.4 GHz cordless phones are known to generate and interfere with wifi connections, again turn them off and get rid of it.

3) Multipathing/reflections. Is your wii/router in a corner? If either is yes then move away from the corners. Even if they are still along a wall, put it in the center of the wall.

What this does is that the wifi signal hits the wall and bounces around the room creating multiple paths and reflections. Signal bouncing off the wall and coming right back at the generated signal does have the potential to cancel out the signal, losing nearly all your strength.

Back