Whats the best for playing mp3s and movies on my DS?

matguy87

WiiChat Member
Feb 21, 2007
I've heard that the R4DS is pretty good and cheap, but are there any others that are better... Also, are there any which can use something bigger than a microSD card?

thanks!

I think the R4DS is the best choice, I don't have one nor do I know much about it. I just know that it's the first choice for just about everybody.

The R4DS and the M3DS are exactly the same really, only difference is the start up screen i believe, and for the size of the card i dont believe there is one that uses the normal size SD cards.

The M3DS, which is what i have, is absolutely awesome, i highly recomend getting one mainly cos its so easy to use and i brought mine for $50 including postage and i think it is worth every cent

matguy87 said:
I've heard that the R4DS is pretty good and cheap, but are there any others that are better... Also, are there any which can use something bigger than a microSD card?

thanks!

I have just had mine for a week or so now (R4DS) and it's very good, easy to set up and yes, it is pretty much identical to the Simply M3.

It has moonshell MP3 / MM player - although I haven't tried movies, music and pictures are very easy, good range of formats.

I bought a 2gb Kingston mSD card - this is really the best way as anything bigger would need to use the GBA slot - and this just slips in the DS cart slot and fits exactly the same as normal cart does.

There are some decent homebrew apps out there - although to use most of the ones I found you have to flash the card for them to work and I haven't quite got round to trying it out. Moonshell has everything I need music wise anyhow, at the moment.

Well recommended - you won't be sorry if you buy it.

Hope this helped.

Has anyone tried this one? G6 Real DS http://www.g6flash.com

Wonder if its as good as the R4DS... it also says it has 8Gb, sounds like a lot on such a small card :wtf:

O yea... I read a review for this one which says you can close the DS and still listen to music. Is that a feature for the R4 and M3?

Last edited:
The G6 Flash is a newer version i believe but there is a major downside taht i see is that the memory isnt expandable.

With the R4DS/M3DS you are able to go and buy more Micro SD cards if needed, but with the G6 you are limited to the amount set, if you want more memory you would need to go and buy another G6 game card

And as for closing your DS and still playing music for the R4DS/M3DS, i just tried it and it works fine, you are able to close the DS and the music will continue to play :D

I personally think that the M3/R4 are the better option here but thats just my opinion

Thanks for the help just bought a R4DS! :smilewinkgrin:

ericlewis91 said:
whats the battery life?

I am a really heavy user at the minute - I literally have to charge my DSl most days..shouldn't I get some work done..hmmm good concept...anyway in answer to your post, battery life is/seems the same as a normal cart. I have seen no difference playing MP3's or games for extended periods.

It is proven that the R4 uses slightly more power than running a normal DS cart. But the difference isnt that big

Just a question, for the SD card slot in the R4/M3, has anybodys stopped working. For mine i have to physically pull the SD card out instead of jsut pushing down on it and it springing out

No - I have had no problems with mine at all. You must have a Monday morning / Friday afternoon card...

lol. fair enough, its not causing any problems (THANKFULLY) but i just wanted to know if anybody had the same problem, i probably just pulled the SD card out on the wrong angle at some time or something, its still workin fine :D

Back