What's the best video game series of all time?

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Gamespot recently posted an interesting story about the upcoming release of Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection for the PlayStation 2.

According to the report, "The Essential Collection will compile the original PlayStation edition of Metal Gear Solid along with Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, both "director's cut" versions of the PS2 games. The compilation will sell for $29.99, and will feature commemorative packaging designed by series artist Yoji Shinkawa."

And as a fan of the Metal Gear series (and others, like Final Fantasy), I thought it would be a good time to ask you all a simple question, "what's the best video game series of all time?"

Of course, the decision is an extremely difficult one. Obviously some would choose their old standby -- Super Mario Bros., but others would venture out into unknown territory with picks like Lunar or even the cult classic, Shenmue.

And while I think the Final Fantasy series, highlighted by VII, and even the aforementioned Metal Gear series easily top the list, there's no one correct answer.

Unlike so many other aspects of the tech industry, choosing the best video game series of all time is an extremely difficult task. Who can possibly say that just because you like the Zelda series, you're somehow incapable of being right just because I may choose Halo?

Suffice it to say, the chances of any of us coming to a conclusion regarding which video game series is the best of all time are nil.

So in the end, I thought I would leave it up to you. Instead of preaching to you about why I think certain series are better than others, I want to get your feel for it and respond to that.

So let's hear it -- what's the best video game series of all time?

Source:http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9865617-17.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

So what do you think is the best video game series of all time?

Zelda or Metroid. They are true video games in that they require common sense. Long adventure games are generally the best IMO (does that mean 'In my opinion? :lol: )

personally I have had the most fun with the Super Mario, Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat series.

I would buy any game from those three series blindly.

Ohh man, got to think about this for a second... ... ... Oh!

If it's not platform specific I would have to say, for me, It's a tie between the Elder Scrolls Series, and Half-Life series.

"The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference in the wold." :smilewinkgrin:

for me the best series would be between
mario, metal gear or zelda

those 3 hands down

Sonic The Hedgehog Series!!!:yesnod::smilewinkgrin:
They Are The Most Awesomenest Retro Games Ever!:cornut::thumbsup:
The Legend Of Zelda Series Is Brilliant Too And The Mario Series!:wink:

metal gear series

am i only the only who thinks the spyro series should at least be considered?

im talkin about the ps1 series, all the ps2 spyro games suck

Shining force
Disgaea
Yar revenge (the highest rated series ever)

I think longevity/consistency should be kept in mind for "Best game series of all time" and the fact that the quality of Sonic and Spyro games have declined so heavily in recent history means that they're out for sure...

Through it all, I'm gonna say the Mario platforming series. It's just so solid.

nic7 said:
I think longevity/consistency should be kept in mind for "Best game series of all time" and the fact that the quality of Sonic and Spyro games have declined so heavily in recent history means that they're out for sure...

Through it all, I'm gonna say the Mario platforming series. It's just so solid.

Yes, I agree.
That and the Legend Of Zelda may be the best video game series of all time.

Back