What's the best way to get a wii to look good on an HDTV??

Have you tried using the component cables and setting your Wii to 480p (HDTV mode)? Also what brand of TV you have will make a difference as some HDTV tv scaler isn't that great.

My Wii is hook up with component cable and set to 480P.The component is plug into my receiver and upconverted to 1080P (or 720P) via HDMI.

This is the best i can get.

Last edited:
so you're using another component to convert the picture from 480p to 1080p before the tv, so the TV sees 1080p...what TV and what receiver do you have...how is the receiver connected to the TV? try going straight into the TV with the component cable, and see if the TV scales better than going through your receiver...TV and Receiver brand makes a big difference, so let us know what you have.

So you're using another component to convert the picture from 480p to 1080p before the tv, so the TV sees 1080p...how is the receiver connected to the TV?

I'm using my Receiver...it upconvert 480p signal from the component cable of the wii and output it trough the HDMI to the TV at 1080P.

what TV and what receiver do you have...

Onkyo TX-SR607
http://www.onkyo.ca/model.cfm?m=TX-SR607&class=Receiver&p=i

I have a 3 1/2 years old Sharp Aquos....at this time there was not an upscaling processor in all LCD TV. The were the first batch of affordable (under 2000$)...1080p tv's with the samsung's.

I have a 3 1/2 years old Sharp Aquos....at this time there was not an upscaling processor in all LCD TV. The were the first batch of affordable (under 2000$)...1080p tv's with the samsung's.

so, the Onkyo is a great receiver, but i wouldn't use it to upconvert the SD signal. and that line isn't true...ALL HDTVs have upscalers in them...they take your input and scale it to fit the raster of the TV...if they didn't have an upscaler in them...they SD signal would be a little dot in the middle of the screen.....run your component out straight into your TV.....running it through anything but a top of the line upconverter can do more harm to the signal as it will introduce processing that your older TV might not agree with.....

Product summary for the 607 from CNET:
THE GOOD: Excellent sound quality; six HDMI inputs, including a front panel input; onboard Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding; Sirius-ready; upconverts analog video signal to 1080i; automatic speaker calibration.

THE BAD: Analog video upconversion is poor; no true graphical user interface; no 7.1 analog inputs; no S-Video inputs; big and boxy design; Dolby Pro Logic IIz doesn't have much audible effect.

THE BOTTOM LINE: If you can overlook its poor analog video conversion, the Onkyo TX-SR607 offers up a ton of HDMI connectivity and excellent sound quality for a midrange AV receiver.

so go straight.....:)!

BTW, I'm a video engineer...hope this helps you! i personally bought an Onkyo 304 because i had no intention of running video through the receiver, it is awesome for audio though...although no true HD audio, but i'm a videophile, not an audiophile, lol.

apparently, you can set it to through on that input, and send 480p out of your Wii straight into the Sharp and that will not affect the signal, and let the TV upconvert....

here is the full video review from CNet. I find CNet to be very accurate with it's reviews...
Video performance
The Onkyo TX-SR607 is capable of upconverting analog signals to its HDMI output, so we put it through our video testing suite. We connected the Sony BDP-S360 via component video to the TX-SR607, with the BDP-S360 set to 480i output. The TX-SR607 was set to output at 1080i over its HDMI output, connected to the Sony KDL-52XBR7.

We've complained about Onkyo's upconverted image quality on previous models and the TX-SR607 suffers from the exact same issues. First we looked at test patterns from Silicon Optix's "HQV" test disc. The initial resolution pattern told the whole story, as the TX-SR607 was clearly not depicting the full resolution of DVD. On every image we saw, there appeared to be comblike artifacts on nearly everything, indicating how much resolution was actually missing. The TX-SR607 failed the other jaggies and 2:3 pull-down tests we looked at as well, but the limited resolution was almost always the more obvious deficiency.

We switched over to program material, and the TX-SR607 continued to struggle. Generally we look at titles like Star Trek: Insurrection and Seabiscuit for issues like excessive jaggies or faulty 2:3 pull-down processing, but again the loss of resolution was visible in every scene and for many it would be considered unwatchable.

Luckily, these issues only occur if you're trying to upconvert analog signals to 1080i. Instead, you can set the TX-SR607 to "through" mode, which means the TX-SR607 will convert the analog signals to HDMI, but leave it at 480i for your HDTV to do the upconversion. In nearly all cases, this will result in better image quality, as long your HDTV can accept a 480i signal over HDMI. The main takeaway is that you shouldn't go with the TX-SR607 if you're looking for an AV receiver with excellent upconversion video quality, but with almost all new gadgets (except the Nintendo Wii) featuring HDMI, we expect fewer people actually need that capability.

I wonder if it would help to leave the output to 480i and let the receiver or TV (that might have better video processing for deinterlacing, upscaling) do the conversion to "p" (progressive). Has anyone tried this ? Is it any better or worse ?

sorry for the hijack to the OP, we engineers tend to do that....somehow thought wii-licious had the problem...

ericuf.....what TV are you using?

let the tv worry about only uconverting...let the wii deinterlace....the wii is designed to deinterlace, so get the best possible output from the wii, then the TV only has to do 1 thing, not 2...

I'm not a video engineer but i can tell you that there is a big difference between the upscaling processor of my TV and the one that you can find in a good BDP or DVD Player. The picture is better when it comes from those devices. I honestly prefer the 1080p picture coming from my receiver vs the passthrough picture (But this is with the wii in mind not a dvd).

I only use this feature with my wii. I watch dvd with my Blu-ray player.

I'll try it again later but last time I compare I was satisfied with my current configuration. Thanks for the advice anyway.

BTW...lol I did'nt have any problem..lol

Last edited:
Back