What's the point of this game?

BadBanshee

WiiChat Member
Feb 9, 2012
Reading, UK
Genuinely curious as to what the appeal is with this game. I actually bought it thinking it would end up being my favourite game on the Wii. I thought it would be reminiscent of the Soul Calibur series, complex moves, tactical fights, clear incentive to progress with exciting rewards.
My current opinion of SSBB is that it's just an arcade game with waaaay too simple controls. And how come you don't have health? There's no point in most moves because you might aswell just press up and B all the time to kick the opponent out of the stage. I keep giving it another go but so far I'm just not getting it. Feel like I must be missing something because this is being hailed by critics as one of the best games on the Wii...

Just want to know what your reasons are to keep coming back to this game time and time again.

This is one of the best fighting games. Try learning some advanced techniques. BTW spamming B will get you nowhere. For the best experience IMO try a 3 stock, with items set to none, 1v1 with some people here.

And the percentage instead of a health bar is what sets this apart from other fighters.

Look up some combo vids on youtube. Some of them are really amazing.

Last edited:
I had the same thoughts back when original 64 game came out. The lack of health and knocking people off stage are indeed odd, but that sets it apart from the rest. That said, I prefer it to Street fighter IV and UMVC3. The game may grow on you if you are willing to look at it with fresh eyes.

The game will grow on you, at some time or another. It's a really good fighter, in my opinion. The controls are simple to use, but not completely easy for an outsider to easily beat a skilled brawler.

The main reason I enjoy the game is because of the nostalgia of it all, which is Nintendo's greatest way of selling a game.

It's the Multiplayer that makes this game so great, simply put. Brawl is designed to be a party game, and that's where it thrives. Player vs. player gameplay, be it a hectic party of four players in a free for all or a one on one, is the best part of the game... And in my opinion, is the only reason why the game is great.

Oh, and are you playing Subspace Emissary (the story mode that is essentially a beat 'em up side scroller), or actual matches? Two veeeery different game modes.

waaaay too simple controls.

Simple controls, but complex character diversity and match-ups thanks to those simple but unique controls. 'Course, such things only matter in Multiplayer, so... yeah.

And how come you don't have health?

Yep, the damage % system in Smash Bros. is certainly unique from other fighters. But unique in a good way.

Oh, and you can set health for "Stamina" matches in Special Brawl, if I recall correctly... Only for local Multiplayer and vs. the CPU, though.

There's no point in most moves because you might aswell just press up and B all the time to kick the opponent out of the stage.

A strategy that only works on lv. 1 CPUs. :p Brawl is a game where, if there's no challenge and you don't challenge yourself, it ain't fun. If you can win by literally just spamming your Up-B move for any character, you've got the difficulty way too low.

Genuinely curious as to what the appeal is with this game. I actually bought it thinking it would end up being my favourite game on the Wii. I thought it would be reminiscent of the Soul Calibur series, complex moves, tactical fights, clear incentive to progress with exciting rewards.
My current opinion of SSBB is that it's just an arcade game with waaaay too simple controls. And how come you don't have health? There's no point in most moves because you might aswell just press up and B all iPhone accessories the time to kick the opponent out of the stage. I keep giving it another go but so far I'm just not getting it. Feel like I must be missing something because this is being hailed by critics as one of the best games on the Wii...

Just want to know what your reasons are to keep coming back to this game time and time again.

Thats exactly it anyone can play novice or pro and get a hang of it.

wut a terrible thread revive lawl

If you're readin' this Robotboy, this is what ya shouldn't do. :p

Thats exactly it anyone can play novice or pro and get a hang of it.

Well, Brawl certainly has an easy learning curve, can't deny that. But the difference between pro and novice is ridiculously huge, so "gettin' the hang of it" is only the very beginning. Very easy to learn, very difficult to master. ... Just not nearly as difficult as masterin' 64 or Melee.

Back