What's the Wii nickname for?

aznricyboy

The man with authoritah!
Oct 15, 2007
Somewhere
Wii Online Code
4295-3131-8869-3560
Under the Wii settings, you'll notice that you can edit the console nickname for your Wii. What does this do? Will this be the name that displays when you play online, or do you just call it whatever the heck you want? Sorry, I don't own any WiFi games, so I wouldn't know.

I just named mine "Oathkeeper" because it's from Kingdom Hearts and it sounded cool.

It's nothing really, I think Nintendo has plans to use it in the future but for now it's just an idle feature.

well as far as i know it is not used in wifi games, it is just a console nickname as far as i know,

wiimagick said:
i dunno...i tought it was the wii username, but i guess not..im haveing trouble finding username and online code. sorry..

also the online code is shown when either you look on your message board, or for example on strikers your friends code is shown when u go too addd a friend

Yuglooc said:
Does anyone know if it's for a network ID? Like the console nickname will show up as a computer in your router's DHCP clients table?

Scratch that. I just checked my DHCP table and it just comes up as "Wii"

Yuglooc said:
Scratch that. I just checked my DHCP table and it just comes up as "Wii"
Maybe when Brawl hits theyll scrap friend codes and go with this.

I think its just the name of your console. like "dave's wii". Nothing terribly special about it

lol my console was called, dave's wii.

what a coincidence, but now its just david. lol

Anybody, may it have something to do with DS-Wii link up ? so you know which console you are linking it to ?

I imagine it's mainly for local network options to be used in the future. I always thought that you named your Wii for the same reasons why your PCs have names (once again, to easily associate with the device while looking through network lists), though we have yet to see expanded home networking features even suggested from Nintendo.

Nothing as of yet. Many had hoped that it would be your online username, but obviously that has not yet happened and most likely won't.

Another possibility is that it is for finding a lost wii, similar to writing your name and phone number on the tag of a clothing article.

Back