What's your pokemon team?

eh... that was the first team i thought up in a couple months. my previous team had been slaughtering my friends but now they're starting to put up a challenge so i figured it was time for a change. i'm out of practice when it comes to making teams

Ugh, NO one rates my team?! DX What is this... ? .-. [/sob]

if u have tons of skill

WROOOOOOOOONG!

Magikarp runs are completely impossible, thanks to the pressence of the 3rd gym in Plat (5th in DP), which hosts all ghost types. Having only normal moves, Magikarp presents absolutely no way to kill them. ... If it wasn't for that, it'd be possible, but... Ugh, damn ghost types.

:) I can't stay mad at my friend like that

OT: Bronzong.... Not a good attacker but it's a good wall.
Thinking about adding Gallade to the team. Is that a good idea?

Depends on what role your using for him, as well as what slot he's taking. :p

Yeah I ended up teaching it to Pachirisu. And the cave isn't really hidden at all. My first playthrough of Diamond I went in there right when I saw it and got lost in there. Couldn't get out and had to restart.

You can't "see" the cave, you're thinking of the brother cave that's in plain view under cycling road. Straight to the left (and down a step or two to avoid a pillar), there's another cave that really is hidden from sight. ... Where the dreaded Gible lurks, ugh.

i just read the first and last page. CK, are you still rating teams? i'm not too sure about mine

Ofcourse. As long as I'm on wiichat, I'll be rating teams. :thumbsup:

He'll be gone until next week, but I can almost gurantee you he'll say something about taking out Shuckle for something else, seeing as Shuckle is actually no good.

Correct; twice.

I can only show up on friday and the weekends; with rare exceptions such as this late night of a Thursday. So, yeah.

Shuckle=crap compared to the godly Cradily. I used one a long time ago in one of my experimental Sandstorm teams. It worked very well, to my suprise. Brilliant wall, really.

My residual damage team:

Hippowdon @lum berry / focus sash
Careful, 252 HP, 156 SpD, 88 Def, 16Atk
slack off
stealth rock
roar
earthquake

Ahh, the classic Hippowdon lead. You really won't need a Sash, I don't see ANYTHING OHKOing this thing w/o beastly Sp. Atk, Specs, and STAB Grass Knot (in other words, Roserade, which you really shouldn't stay in on either way).

I'd like a small explanation on the purpose of the specific EV spread, if you have one (which your below statement doesn't imply :p). Otherwise, this set's fine; aside from one issue. Aerodactyl literally laughs at this set; once he taunts, you can't do ANYTHING to him. You also need to be very careful of Swampert, STAB Surf won't be OHKOing, but may be doing good enough damage to scare you out after a SR.

Point being, while this is a fine lead, in today's metagame Hippowdon doesn't fair too well. If you encounter 3/4 of the common leads of today, you'll be at a disadvantage. You especially need to find away around Swampert and Aerodactyl, so you may need to bust out a bulky TTar to get the job done.

Pretty Standard sandstorm team lead. I don't know what i was thinking with the EVs on this one. His job is to get the sandstorm going and get SR up. Earthquake is for taunt leads and roar is for later in the game (if he survives that long) to abuse entry hazards.

Forretress @occa berry
Relaxed, 252 HP, 112 Atk, 144 Def
spikes
gyro ball
rapid spin
explosion

Occa Berry... lol. Standard set, no problem here. Taunters like DDTTar just ruin your team, though... even your myriad of tanks/walls won't stop it, once it gets in a few DDs; unless you bring in Gengar unharmed ASAP; but once your ghost's gone, you virtually lose to it. Foretress alone can wear it down, but if Gengar's not around, I really doubt one or two Gyro Balls will take out a DDTTar, or especially not some other powerful stat-up sweepers such as Gyarados, or Azelf.

Basically just lay down spikes and explode if he gets the chance.

Gengar @choice scarf
Calm, 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
thunderbolt
focus blast
shadow ball
psychic

Psychic is just blah, drop it for something more useful. Namely, Hypnosis or Trick. Hypnosis could be key in winning, but if you risk it's 60% accuracy (70% in DP), your Gengar might as well KO itself. Trick on the otherhand, is reliable, and cripples any and all walls; and may even end a sweep that would end up ruining your entire team. Otherwise, aside from the nature (Modest or Timid NAO!), this is all good.

Something fast to stop the sweepers. His job is to block and kill rapid spinners.

Empoleon @leftovers / lum berry
Modest, EVs unknown
ice beam
grass knot
surf
roar

Lol, so standard, but it works. This thing should switch natures with Gengar, though; Empoleon loves Calm with this set, and an EV spread geared toward taking special attacks. Boosted EQs and CCs don't appeal to our emperor penguin, high defense or not, so focusing on it's Sp. Def is a better idea. This is just a typical Smogon spread, but go ahead and pursue something like this if you desire.

252 HP / 160 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe

If you want a more offensive orriented Empoleon, though (hinted by Modest, maybe?), go with a Specs set. All you need to do is replace Roar with Sleep Talk, or if you can get a good one, HP Electric for Gyara. The EV spread is beyond simple; 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe.

But either way, aside from needing to be more defensive, this Empoleon is fine.

Kill what he can, roar the rest.

Cradily @leftovers
Careful, 252 HP, 160 Def, 96 SpD
toxic
rock slide
barrier
recover

or

Shuckle @chesto berry
Impish, 252 HP, 208 Def, 48 SpD
encore
rest
knock off
toxic

I just use my toxic stallers for fun. I didn't like that cradily can be so crippled by status ailments so i made a resting shuckle. Cradily has had more success, shuckle is good for screwing with people.

I hate Shuckle, just as J predicted. Drop it for Cradily, you won't regret it. :p

Clefable (Magic guard) @toxic orb
Bold, 252 HP, 40 SpA, 216 SpD
wish
protect
toxic
flamethrower

Another fun toxic staller. Flamethrower is mainly for the steels, and also the poisons that resist toxic. Since it's usually my last pokemon, I don't want it to be stuck with no way to attack

I'm no good with Clefable, it's an unpredictable UU I have no knowledge of... All I can say is that I doubt it'l be taking a lot of Choice'd assaults or bolstered attacks. And since you already have one other toxistaller, I recommend getting something else on your team; such as a Lead TTar in place of your Hippowdon, and locate Hippowdon to being more of a wall than a lead. Anti-Metagame TTar is brilliant as a lead, after all. Solves your Aerodactyl and Swampert problem, too.

I'm going to mention right now, without very reliable, typically overused walls (SkarmBliss, Bronzong, etc.), stall teams fall apart, especially residual teams that don't focus 100% on entry hazards (and namely, Toxic Spikes). Ever since Platinum, the metagame's been faster than ever, and I'm pretty sure my newest team would beat this one fairly easy; but then again, I have absolutely no right to speak, I've never ran a stall team in my life. A balanced team is as far as I went; and only once too. :p

he's fine overall. but to make him better, replace Psychic for Ice Beam

We've been over this, Gengar doesn't learn Ice Beam, Shadow. :p

... I used to think he did too, but then I remembered it was Ice Punch he used in Gen 3 and before. :lol: Which is obviously useless in Gen 4, ofcourse.

yes, but Barrier is still... oh, wait. i'm thinking Reflect. nevermind.

but Stockpile still sucks

Stockpile is brilliant with Cradily, as Suction Cups prevents roars and such from removing it. If the opponent phails, two Stockpiles send Cradily's defenses soaring. And even after +1 Def and +2 Sp. Def, Cradily's stats are still amazing. To show proof, after said scenario of Sandstorm + One Stockpile...

Def: 483

Sp. Def: 626

Cradily's Sp. Def rivals Shuckle's, but Cradily has a Recovery move, can status more effectively, can continue raising defenses, hit much harder (even though it's not that hard), and have more than double HP all the while. Stockpile stall-Cradily is brilliant in a sandstorm, Shadow. While the move sucks, Cradily makes amazing use of it.

anyways, here's a team i've been thinking of:

Aerodactyl: Adament?/Rock Head
-SR
-Double Edge
-Thunder Fang
-Crunch

Needz moar everything a lead needs. :p

Drop all 3 moves below SR for Taunt, Earthquake, and Rock Slide. Taunt stops other leads from setting up SR/(T)spikes on you; and while some leads like Swampert or Jirachi don't care about that (especially not Jirachi), other leads like Azelf or Infernape can be thoroughly frustrated.

EQ and Rock Slide have great coverage together; Rock Slide also gets STAB, and since he's a lead, the higher accuracy over Stone Edge could literally decide a match.

Oh, and since you're dropping Double Edge (trust me, it's the worst move on this entire set), give it Pressure. Chopping off 2 PP from Infernape's CC or Metagross' Meteor Mash can really help if you need to stall with a wall later on, or stall in general. Not to mention with a sash (if they lack priority/are faster), they're losing 4 PP total.

Arcanine: Adament/Intimidate
-Fire Fang
-Extreme Speed
-EQ
-Crunch

EVs/Item?

Gyrados: Adament/Intimidate
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-EQ
-DDance

... EVs/Item? :p

Zapdos: Impish?/Pressure
-Roost
-Drill Peck
-Light Screen
-Thunderwave

EVS/ITEMMMMMMM?

Infernape: Adament/Blaze
-CC
-Flare Blitz
-Thunderpunch
-SDance

And again...

Roserade: Modest/Poison Point
-Energy Ball
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-???

SubSeed Roserade is the name of this set; give it maxed Sp. Atk and Speed, Timid, Natural Cure, and Substitute in the last slot. Poison Point interfears with Sleeping pokes, and normal poison isn't even that effective; you don't want that ability at all.

However, if you really want to leech seed enemies to death, you'll need to drop Sleep Powder for Substitute, so with Leftovers and Leech Seed, you can outstall slower foes forever. You'll ALSO need Sludge Bomb to hit Grass types that are immune to leech seed, as mentioned before. Roserade still gets STAB off this move, which has higher BP anyways, so yeah.

ok, go wild

You need EVs and items listed on these pokes, Shadow. Otherwise my rating is off, or not possible at all. :p

But, either way, you should not be using this team at all. The fastest poke that has a chance to do more than suicide lead is Infernape, which isn't that fast, when you've got pokemon like Latias and Starmie wreaking havoc; as well as a myriad of dangerous Scarf'd pokemon. The many priority users/sweepers can be dangerous, too.

Not to mention you've got gaping weaknesses. 4x to Rock (without a single resist! Are you insane, anything fast with a Band and Stone Edge ruins you! DX), 3x to Ice, 3x to Water, and with unreliable resists to Electric and Ground (Gravity teams will be having fun), this team doesn't really shine... It's perfectly fine for non-competitive battling, but... this team could be so much better, yeah?

Yeah guys. For the record, any lead Gallade will have Shadow Sneak to break Focus Sash

Just like every other lead with a priority move, as well as a myriad of support options Gallade couldn't dream of (and often a higher attack stat). :p

Roserade: Modest/Poison Point
-Energy Ball
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed
-???

For the last slot: What about a move to hit grass types that are immune to leech seed. sludge bomb? or maybe HP ice to hit the abundant OU dragons hard as well. or you could make it a subseeder and give it substitute.

Ah, welcome to our thread, Calibun! Good to see a competitive battler from the outside, that actually has skill and knowledge, decided to join us. =) The other newbies are usually just casual pokemon players... All of the competitive battlers here have been around long enough to atleast not be considered newbies, anymore, a few of them even veterans.

I could try... I'm kinda afraid though :p
will try it later when I'm not in class

Ah, welcome to our thread, Calibun! Good to see a competitive battler from the outside, that actually has skill and knowledge, decided to join us. =) The other newbies are usually just casual pokemon players... All of the competitive battlers here have been around long enough to atleast not be considered newbies, anymore, a few of them even veterans.

I haven't really had anyone to battle with lately so I came here to see if i could get some random matches and some advice lol. I do know a bit about the competitive world, but i haven't had many competitive battles so I'm not that great. I usually just play for fun :p
Anywho, wanna battle? again, sometime when I'm not in class lol

I'm no good with Clefable, it's an unpredictable UU I have no knowledge of... All I can say is that I doubt it'l be taking a lot of Choice'd assaults or bolstered attacks. And since you already have one other toxistaller, I recommend getting something else on your team; such as a Lead TTar in place of your Hippowdon, and locate Hippowdon to being more of a wall than a lead. Anti-Metagame TTar is brilliant as a lead, after all. Solves your Aerodactyl and Swampert problem, too.

I'm going to mention right now, without very reliable, typically overused walls (SkarmBliss, Bronzong, etc.), stall teams fall apart, especially residual teams that don't focus 100% on entry hazards (and namely, Toxic Spikes). Ever since Platinum, the metagame's been faster than ever, and I'm pretty sure my newest team would beat this one fairly easy; but then again, I have absolutely no right to speak, I've never ran a stall team in my life. A balanced team is as far as I went; and only once too. :p

Thanks for the help :)
I'll work on this team a bit when i get the chance. I'll definitely switch barrier for stockpile and I'll make a lead tyranitar. I had a skarmory when i first made this team... he was good, but boring. I should make a better one o_O and yeah, ill find something to replace clefable.... still gonna keep her for whenever i wanna play just for fun. The only thing that kept me from using toxic spikes before was that the people i usually battled had lots of poison pokemon, making the spikes useless and a waste of time almost every match. I do like the idea of them though.... especially cause im focusing on poison status with this team. As for gengar.... psychic was mainly for all the poison types i ran into. Could be fun to switch it for trick. Now i remember why he has such a crappy nature XD he was one of the first pokes i EV trained and at the time, i didn't have anyone to trade with. So i just wandered around in the haunted house thingy catching gengars and i took the first one that had a nature that didnt decrease speed or SpA ^.^"

So yeah.... this team was just made to battle my friends and the pokemon i already knew they had. None of them had a lead aerodactyl or tyranitar.... half of them didnt even know what EV training was.... hence, stalling and using fun, uncommon pokemon rather than going straight for the slaughter. I'll switch it up now so its more suited to random OU battles

thanks again :D

You can't "see" the cave, you're thinking of the brother cave that's in plain view under cycling road. Straight to the left (and down a step or two to avoid a pillar), there's another cave that really is hidden from sight. ... Where the dreaded Gible lurks, ugh.
Well then Flash is slightly more important as there are TWO caves where Flash is needed.

Well then Flash is slightly more important as there are TWO caves where Flash is needed.

There are two caves, but they have nothing to do with the story and you aren't required to go through them at any point. Both caves aren't much of a challenge. Its best to just teach an HMslave flash and replace one of your party members with it temporarily as you explore the caves, rather than keeping it in your party for the whole game

There are two caves, but they have nothing to do with the story and you aren't required to go through them at any point. Both caves aren't much of a challenge. Its best to just teach an HMslave flash and replace one of your party members with it temporarily as you explore the caves, rather than keeping it in your party for the whole game

Which is exactly what I've done.

Stockpile is brilliant with Cradily, as Suction Cups prevents roars and such from removing it. If the opponent phails, two Stockpiles send Cradily's defenses soaring. And even after +1 Def and +2 Sp. Def, Cradily's stats are still amazing. To show proof, after said scenario of Sandstorm + One Stockpile...

Def: 483

Sp. Def: 626

Cradily's Sp. Def rivals Shuckle's, but Cradily has a Recovery move, can status more effectively, can continue raising defenses, hit much harder (even though it's not that hard), and have more than double HP all the while. Stockpile stall-Cradily is brilliant in a sandstorm, Shadow. While the move sucks, Cradily makes amazing use of it.
I win again :D

I could try... I'm kinda afraid though :p
will try it later when I'm not in class

I haven't really had anyone to battle with lately so I came here to see if i could get some random matches and some advice lol. I do know a bit about the competitive world, but i haven't had many competitive battles so I'm not that great. I usually just play for fun :p
Anywho, wanna battle? again, sometime when I'm not in class lol

Thanks for the help :)
I'll work on this team a bit when i get the chance. I'll definitely switch barrier for stockpile and I'll make a lead tyranitar. I had a skarmory when i first made this team... he was good, but boring. I should make a better one o_O and yeah, ill find something to replace clefable.... still gonna keep her for whenever i wanna play just for fun. The only thing that kept me from using toxic spikes before was that the people i usually battled had lots of poison pokemon, making the spikes useless and a waste of time almost every match. I do like the idea of them though.... especially cause im focusing on poison status with this team. As for gengar.... psychic was mainly for all the poison types i ran into. Could be fun to switch it for trick. Now i remember why he has such a crappy nature XD he was one of the first pokes i EV trained and at the time, i didn't have anyone to trade with. So i just wandered around in the haunted house thingy catching gengars and i took the first one that had a nature that didnt decrease speed or SpA ^.^"

So yeah.... this team was just made to battle my friends and the pokemon i already knew they had. None of them had a lead aerodactyl or tyranitar.... half of them didnt even know what EV training was.... hence, stalling and using fun, uncommon pokemon rather than going straight for the slaughter. I'll switch it up now so its more suited to random OU battles

thanks again :D

I'll be happily waiting for that review later. =)

Ahh, that's the way to go. Playing sheerly for being competitive gets a bit monotonous over time, playing for fun prolongs the experience. :thumbsup: It's why I regularly (... or, used to) create new teams to not only test my own skill, but to keep things lively.

But ya, sure, I'll battle later. I never turn down a battle, it's too fun of an offer to let pass by. =)

The Skarmory I mentioned for your team was sort of a rushed/exhausted example, really... Unless you're switching Forretress out for him, having two spikers isn't the best idea (unless ofcourse, Forretress takes on the job of TSpiking, then you're completing the stall team's criteria for pwn).

Ahh, good times, the first poke you've ever EV trained... I EV trained a Ninjask as my first. And what do you know, it failed. :lol:

Lol, all the friends I know that ever played pokemon have no idea what EV training is, such a shame, really. But hey, that's what the internet's for. :p

I create my own teams just for fun and to upload them here to get rated. I would PokeSAV them, but somehow I can't find a way to get my cable to copy the code onto my
Action Replay.

Just dropping by to say that Cradily is a monster as long as you have sand up. I outlasted a specsmence with one, granted I had 3 stockpiles and sand. Without those, though, Cradily might as well be a Sandslash without the power. Keep in mind he can't really do anything without sand and even in it, switching him in on a sweeper never really guarantees a stall. He's mostly a mid-game wall. Outlast a sweeper and cripple something else is usually his quota.

Welcome to the Pokemon forums, Calibun. Hope you stay a while.

my pokemon team for pearl is:
medicham lvl.100
milotic lvl.100
sceptile lvl.100
metagross lvl.100
salamence lvl.100
arcanine lvl.100

Can you post the moves please? I don't have the intelligence to rate a team with out movesets/items and stuff like that. Also is this in-game or competitive?

Back