When is enough..enough?

Bliss

WiiChat Member
Aug 28, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Heres my lil question i been thinking. Ok Nintendo continues to make "remakes" of throw backs. Super Mario World = SMG, Legend of Zelda = Zelda Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. = SSBB. How long do you think Nintendo can keep up with this, before we the gamer finally say "ok enough with Mario or whatever it maybe? We need something new!" Now i am DEFINATELY not sayin i feel like this now, but honestly i think this was a great group of games they put out for the Wii, and is gonna be tough to top. So why not quit while there ahead and come up with new ideas. AGAIN i'll say I DONT FEEL LIKE THIS NOW! (before all the hate comments come) Im just wondering.

Whats your take on this?

Bliss said:
Heres my lil question i been thinking. Ok Nintendo continues to make "remakes" of throw backs. Super Mario World = SMG, Legend of Zelda = Zelda Twilight Princess, Smash Bros. = SSBB. How long do you think Nintendo can keep up with this, before we the gamer finally say "ok enough with Mario or whatever it maybe? We need something new!" Now i am DEFINATELY not sayin i feel like this now, but honestly i think this was a great group of games they put out for the Wii, and is gonna be tough to top. So why not quit while there ahead and come up with new ideas. AGAIN i'll say I DONT FEEL LIKE THIS NOW! (before all the hate comments come) Im just wondering.

Whats your take on this?
It's not like they are the same game each time (eg. every Fifa game ever made).

They are changing all the time.

Compare Super Mario Galaxy with Super Mario World. You would not even think they were the same game, or even have similar gameplay.

Also, LoZ:TP with LoZ:LA. No similarity.

They continue the story only.

FRuMMaGe said:
It's not like they are the same game each time (eg. every Fifa game ever made).

They are changing all the time.

Compare Super Mario Galaxy with Super Mario World. You would not even think they were the same game, or even have similar gameplay.

Also, LoZ:TP with LoZ:LA. No similarity.

They continue the story only.

No i know that. Im just sayin concept wise, story line, its all basically the same. Comparing a game from then to now is no comparison at all...To me its like the Rolling Stone, yea they are great band and you can always hear them again and again but honestly retire. :lol:

Nintendo can recycle the characters over and over again and they will always come out golden. It's kinda odd they have this unique power that no other game developer seems to have. But with over 30 years of success so far with it it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon. "atleast by gaming standards"

By the time any other game hits #4,5,6 or god forbid even 7 the popularity,sales, the entire view of the series goes down the toilet in terms of a game.

Nintendo really shines because they never over-do too much of a good thing. Although there are well over 50 games with the Mario Brothers and there sidekicks in it, we don't get sick of it because they always always re-invent an old idea. Be it in the many Sports,Adventure,RPG,Fighting,Racing ect. ect. they can make all of these games new and improved so well each time they come out. And the key is they make sure they don't come out too often usually its once a console at most twice and even then it's streched far apart.

They don't get money hungry once they see something that sells. Thats seem to be the key to long life, but a hard temptation to ignore for just about anyone else it seems.

The only thing they do badly I would say is Mario Party titles. They have 3 of them on N64, 4 of them on GC 1 on the Wii with plenty more comming for sure, its nuts.
I think they get away with it because its a unique concept twards a game and being a minigame/boardgame setup its somthing you can keep re-doing and people accept it. Pretty apparent when every Mario Party game has sold over a million copies.

Mario Party Nintendo ___________2.70 Million
Mario Party 2 Nintendo __________2.50 Million
Mario Party 4 Nintendo___________2.47 Million
Mario Party 5 Nintendo___________2.08 Million
Mario Party 3 Nintendo___________1.91 Million
Mario Party 6 Nintendo___________1.63 Million
Mario Party 7 Nintendo___________1.53 Million
Mario Party 8 Nintendo___________4.78 Million
Mario Party DS Nintendo__________3.20 Million

Hard to explaine how it works but Nintendo games ALWAYS sell well even the bad ones.. ha ha
The sales are only limited by the number of consoles/handhelds they have on the market and their own personal dedication and investment into said game. Beyond that they pretty much can print money with anything that has the Nintendo logo on it. "Besides Virtual Boy" But even God had to mess a couple things up to make his perfection so clear.. ha ha
They own the entire top 10 games sold list, and if they ever get out of consoles and become a 3rd party game developer its pretty clear they would own the market simply with Mario,Zelda,Metroid,Donkey Kong titles till the end of time.

If you ask me I think they sold their soul to the Devil. But it was a good investment!

Last edited:
Great post wezeles. Yea its just so strange how everytime, every series, there games just soar in sales. And the key point that you made is they arent money hungery once it sells. I think you hit the nail on the head there. Thats what keeps then afloat, by not over doin it all.

Great post!

don't forget about metroid:lol:

i think if they make any more sequels in the Halo series, they will sell like fudge dipped hot cakes, so it might not only be just nintendo for long

Are you implying that all great franchises need a break and that ninty needs to push newer IPs out there instead of giving us rehashes and series of old?
If that's where you're going then I agree. I think that the classics are just great and sure to beat the crap out of any young up-and-coming series due to the history behind said classic. (i.e.: Legend of Zelda)

But there again nintendo banks so heavily on these new installments of sure fire classic series that people tend to marginalize them as only having the likes of mario, samus, Link, and co. to offer. And all the newer characters are from third party.
Granted that is not true but that seems to be what the public thinks.

But then take into account the fact that Ninty is the veteran in the console wars, and the only ones who stood a chance in challenging them in nostalgia factor was sega, and we all know how they ended up.

Sony has only been around for 3 generations. With so many games released for ps1 it was hard to choose favorites but a few stood out as great games and then became great series. (i.e:RE,Mgs,ff,etc)
But they seem to lack great first party games. But since they have such amazing third party support this goes overlooked.
But with those best-seller series growing older with time as each generation moves on, you have to wonder if they; like mario and co. ; will lose that great new shiny luster that they use to still draw the young gaming masses.

Then you have Microsoft. The new kid on the block (no pun intended). This is only their second campaign in the console wars. Their first one was a success largely do to their award winning online service, as well as a single armor clad soldier we all call master chief.

When xbox one was released, they really had no clue where to begin. I fondly remember seeing the screen shots for the launch titles of Microsoft's new "mystery system", and wondering which ones would last.
I remember seeing some screens of halo and thinking it was nothing special and probably would be banned due to its sacreligious references.
Sadly a lot of games didn't make it and the system almost went the way of the jaguar, but one spartan managed to save the day.

Since then Microsoft's brand has been type-casted as an "FPS Box", since it seems that the majority of it's killer aps come from that genre. Granted they have had successes in other fields, even the casual side with the xbl arcade.

But the fact remains that although there are great games like assassin's creed, forza, oblivion,etc. The core xbox experience is that of the FPS. And as amazing as it may be, it could possibly get old after too many renditions.

So to say that ninty needs to broaden their horizons with new ideas and ip's it to speak truth. But the same can be said for the others as well. They also have their share of tired veterans that could use a break.

Hopefully some new heroes will come and bare some the burden of the console wars; because Mario's getting pretty grey in that mustache, master chief's armor's not looking so new and shiny after all those battles, and even the mighty kratos cannot pull the weight of the ps3 alone.

I mean hell the pressure even drove snake to commit suicide! The next wave of gaming mascots needs to arrive soon,we can't afford to lose any more veterans. Because few ever even make it that far anymore.

ROB64 said:

i think if they make any more sequels in the Halo series, they will sell like fudge dipped hot cakes, so it might not only be just nintendo for long

yea but Halo is just 1 title. Unlike Nintendo, basically everything they have touched has sold like toothpaste. And dont take this as me bein a "fanboy" cuz if anything people who know me on this forum know me for lovin Sony. But its just astonishes me how Nintendo can do this everytime with every title.

Extra Life Mushroom said:
Hopefully some new heroes will come and bare some the burden of the console wars; because Mario's getting pretty grey in that mustache, master chief's armor's not looking so new and shiny after all those battles, and even the mighty kratos cannot pull the weight of the ps3 alone.

I mean hell the pressure even drove snake to commit suicide! The next wave of gaming mascots needs to arrive soon,we can't afford to lose any more veterans. Because few ever even make it that far anymore.

Love that!

But yea i do agree with you. I feel that ok stop while ur ahead. Time for new ideas and lets get crackin. Mario doesnt have to disappear off the face of Ninty world but just let him rest his old knees a bit and pass the crown down to some new, fresh ideas.

Last edited:
ROB64 said:

True there are a few series that pop out in your head as they can live forever, as for ever getting to the same level thats a whole different story. The only one that pops into my head as always sticking around besides Nintendo titles is Final Fantasy. I think it just has such a large and long time fan following that it will live forever. Its gotta be a pass it down father to son type game. "I personally never really got into it but I know some Die hard fans." With well over 20 games and spin offs its here to stay aswell. Its just something about these RPG games people can't get enough of. Same goes for pokemon/zelda.

Beyond that Games like Halo,RE,COD,Tomb Raider,007 ect. ect. have to be careful of timing and can't over do it. "some have already shown signs of wear" Because unlike characters like Sonic,Mario,Kirby ect. they can't just get tossed into every "party" game, or re-invented in a whole new genre . They are made for one type of game and really only fit into that one mold.
So They might continue to sell if paced well and spread out, but it will never get into the sturation that Mario,Sonic titles have done and will do because changing the genre for these games would be so difficult. And they don't seem to have the same addictive quality and dedicated fanbase as the big RPG games yet. They can quickly die off if overdone. Even if not overdone, so far the history of these type of games shows us they don't last forever no matter how well they are made.

I would love to see some new inovation in gaming specially with things such as Xbox's arcade and Wii-ware it just screams please please make something new we are sick of games ending in 5,6,7... Sure Nintendo characters are getting old but to me atleast they are re-invented on some level so I atleast like it every time, maybe not love like the first Mario games but I always atleast like them.
Just like was said with the Rolling Stones, of course they rock but there getting old. The real problem is why can't we seem to get anything else that rocks as well? We are due for some change thats for sure.

Last edited:
Bliss said:

Whats your take on this?
No one will get tired of it, do you know why? because all of those games are good, why stop a good thing.

ROB64 said:

Halo Wars

wezeles said:
I would love to see some new inovation in gaming specially with things such as Xbox's arcade and Wii-ware it just screams please please make something new we are sick of games ending in 5,6,7... Sure Nintendo characters are getting old but to me atleast they are reonvented on some level so i dela with it. Just like was said with the Rolling Stones, of course they rock but there getting old... Problem really is why can't we seem to get anything else that rocks as well? We are due for some change thats for sure.

Exactly. Which is why i myself can not wait for Wii-ware also. cuz they are so many people out there with so many ideas, new ideas that could just take gaming to the next level.

Back