When is too old.............

Adamquest64 said:
I'm 26. When I'm 46 am I going to suddenly lose all interest in Video Games and Comics, and only like "mature" things like golf? Can't see that happening. Golf or fishing or some equally shallow activity? That would be stupid.

Just to clarify, golfing and fishing are hardly "shallow activities" (Pot, meet Kettle).

That out of the way...

My small peer group has always pursued things they enjoy regardless of any preconceived notion of "appropriate" age. I think it's what keeps us looking and feeling young (I still get carded on occasion, I'm 41).

The wifey and I were at a Christmas party for a fashion group, and the host (who's an interior designer) had this amazing home, but while it was beautiful and had a good bit of warmth, it didn't feel playful (for lack of better terms). You just know they would never have a videogame. They didn't really even have much in the way of entertainment setups. They felt old(er).

I love the fact that our house was in a magazine *and* we have nice big TV's, and loads of media, and videogames - the things we enjoy.

I still pickup the occasional graphic novel (comic), we surf, play videogames, have fun at theme parks, I collect model cars (not to mention my 1:1 scale car I fool around with and race :D).

If you enjoy it, do it, seems simple enough :yesnod:

I am 41 years old and have been playing video games since home consoles were invented. Played PC games since 386 and handhelds since Colleco Football and Merlin.

I helped the editors of Dragon magazine develop the first mods for the first dice and paper RPGs. I even helped Chef think up a new name for the artist formerly known as KousKous. I recall we had meatloaf for diner that night.

I listened to punk rock when I was a kid in the 80s and still listen to indie music today. I don't think I'm that much of an exception for people my age.

No, you never really stop. Many people I used to play don't have as much time for it anymore but still give it a go. Some give it up when they realize they're not as competitive as they used to be.

At our age we don't have hours a day to devote to gaming, but we still like to jump in there.

But nothing beats the pleasure of learning the nuances of a new game.

Thanks to all who replied for your replies, I see a few classic ones....LOL

I for one am a forty something and yes I play NCAA and MADDEN products with him and I find it fun and BTW where else can I kick my sons ass without getting in trouble with the law :wink:

BobDobbs said:
I helped the editors of Dragon magazine develop the first mods for the first dice and paper RPGs.

Wait, you helped invent "mods" for pen and paper RPG's before there were gaming magazines like Dragon/Dungeon to even exist? Er...

Your last name Gygax or Arneson?

People that play video games know you are never too old. However, people that don't play video games go 'Aren't you a bit old?!' Heck, I'm only 18 and people say it to me! Also whenever I go into EB (or even Big W thesedays) I get the strangest looks from the people working when I buy Wii games. I'm not sure if its the fact I'm a female buying video games - because apparently women don't play video games or something? Psh, apparently the people who work at my local EB and Big W think so anyway. Or it could be the video games I'm buying. Buying Mortal Kombat, Metroid and things like that is not weird! But it's not fair - even when I buy 'nice' games like SMG I get 'Aren't you a bit old?'

...Okay, that turned into a mini rant.

I'm 33 and still game, my cousin is 43 and has a way bigger gaming setup than I do. Not only does he have a quad core SLI PC rig for gaming, but he has the big three consoles on a 60 something inch LCD and over 5 grand in sound system alone. Of course most of that was for football and movies, but he's got AT LEAST 20 games for each system. Of course one of the reasons he was able to do this at this age is because he managed to stay a bachelor, and he's a aircraft mechanic for a major airline.

I don't think there ever is an age where people should stop playing games.
This is shown with the Wii, where it has reached out to various ages and people, and is not directed at one group of people.

I will game for as long as I can or as long as I am interested in it.

IgotEm said:
Tbh the wii is focused at a lower age really, im 15, but i think 21+ is too old, but not all people think like me

No offense kid but you got a lot of learning to do. You think when your 21 video games just lose intrest.... They become even better. Tell me have you ever played Drunk Wii sports, or Hammered Halo 3. That is video gaming at it's best. Not to mention when you come home from a long day at work dealing with morons and jerks all day, it is very relaxing to sit back put in your favorite game and just chill. Not to mention when the wife starts nagging, it is definitley a great escape. I started playing NES at 3 and have never looked back. I have owned/or still own almost every system to date and I can't imagine what I would do if I weren't laying video games. Fun does not have an age limit, and no matter how old I get, I always want to be a big kid at heart.

Not to mention when you come home from a long day at work dealing with morons and jerks all day, it is very relaxing to sit back put in your favorite game and just chill. Not to mention when the wife starts nagging, it is definitley a great escape.

I have to agree with this reply

I don't think there ever is an age where people should stop playing games.
This is shown with the Wii, where it has reached out to various ages and people, and is not directed at one group of people.

Yes I agree had my grandmother try and she liked it and it was easy exercise for her.

Back