Where do I plug my Wii?

Wiily Good

WiiChat Member
Oct 28, 2006
Australia
OK. I have asked billions of questions about this before but I have just found out something else.

Question 1: Will any component cables plug into the Wii console or do only Nintendo branded cables with a specific plug on the end work?

Question 2: I have a 42" Grand Wega. It has 2 Component Video ports (Red, Green, Blue, Red, White), 3 AV ports, 1 HDMI port and a PC port. Both my component video ports are taken up by my HD set top box and my DVD player. One of my AV ports is used by my VCR. I'm assuming that component cables for the Wii plug into the Component Video Ports. I'm also assuming that the standard composite cables plug into a AV port. Is there a way, apart from unplugging my DVD player, that I can use component cables to plug my Wii into the TV?

Question 3: Are there any other ways to plug my Wii into the TV (e.g. through HDMI, PC ports, S-Video ports)?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.

Note- I guess this is one case where a combined Wii/DVD player would be useful.

Last edited:
1. The component cables only fit into the Wii because of the shape of the input end.

2. The compenent cables are the red, green, white, etc. So i think you might need to give up some space or switch the cables. The wii comes with red, white, yellow cables though.

3. S-Video

is your dvd player hdmi capable? if not maybe you should just upgrade to a hdmi dvd player, and that'll free up one of your comp video ports.

there's no way to hook up the wii to the hdmi port.. i don't think s-video cables are out yet.

Question 1: Are the S-Video cables out yet?

Question 2: Would S-Video cables give picture quality equal to component cables?

Question 3: Is there such thing as a Component Cable switcher box where you can plug two devices into it and ‘switch’ between which device you want to use?

Question 4: On the end of the Wii Component Cables that plugs into the Wii, is it a special Wii plug or is it a SCART plug or another type of generic plug?

Wiily Good said:
Question 1: Are the S-Video cables out yet?
Don't know, sorry. I'm guessing if they aren't out yet, they'll be out soon.
Wiily Good said:
Question 2: Would S-Video cables give picture quality equal to component cables?
No and they won't give you 480p Progressive Scan, nor true 16:9 widscreen, nor true Dolby ProLogic II. A component cable is the way to go if you have the kind of TV you have.
Wiily Good said:
Question 3: Is there such thing as a Component Cable switcher box where you can plug two devices into it and ‘switch’ between which device you want to use?
I'm guessing there is, but I looked for one a while ago and came up empty, although I didn't look very hard. If any of your AV equipment could be switched to S-video, maybe that's the best way to go if you can't find a switch box.

*EDIT* Just searched google for a component video switch, and look what I found:
videoware_1922_6834834
and
JXS111.jpg

The first one can be found here for $70 and the second one can be found here for $80. Sometimes a quick google search solves everything.:D
Wiily Good said:
Question 4: On the end of the Wii Component Cables that plugs into the Wii, is it a special Wii plug or is it a SCART plug or another type of generic plug?
Yeah, Wii has a proprietary port for component cables, so you'll have to get Nintendo-branded Wii component cables; SCART won't work.

Last edited:
With a TV like that you most likely have an A/V Receiver/Amp also???? With surround speakers?? If you dont, shame on you!!! Go buy one!

Well if you do, most of them have component switches in them, I have a Yamaha and it has programmable I/O:s so I can choose witch audio source uses witch video source and so on.

Wiily Good said:

The only thing I can do is question number 3.

I bought a switch box for switching component, composite, and s-video cords. It was cheap and you get what you pay for. It doesn't convert video settings, so you have to get about 3 different cords to make everything work. This is why I am stressing out about getting a Wii, because if I got one, I would have to use candles for the sensor bar and either buy the component cords (which I will do) or but another cord that goes into my projector.

Kind of a bummer, but like I said, you get what you pay for.

Use an S-Cable for your DVD player, and a component cable for your Wii. Dont worry HD/blue ray DVD players will be the standard by next year, then you'll have to switch to an HDMI cable anyways.

Pacer said:
The only thing I can do is question number 3.

I bought a switch box for switching component, composite, and s-video cords. It was cheap and you get what you pay for. It doesn't convert video settings, so you have to get about 3 different cords to make everything work. This is why I am stressing out about getting a Wii, because if I got one, I would have to use candles for the sensor bar and either buy the component cords (which I will do) or but another cord that goes into my projector.

Kind of a bummer, but like I said, you get what you pay for.

Why would you have to use candles instead of the sensor bar.

Because as of this moment I have no screen and I don't wanna mount the sensor bar somewhere where I might have to take it down later.
Though I will probably get the screen before I get the Wii because screens are easier to find than Wiis.

Wiiaretheworld said:
Use an S-Cable for your DVD player, and a component cable for your Wii. Dont worry HD/blue ray DVD players will be the standard by next year, then you'll have to switch to an HDMI cable anyways.

Wow thats pretty optimistic. I dont believe they will be a standard for much longer than that. 1. So many people already bought a DVD collection, True HD-DVD players can play normal DVDs however. 2. Only 5% out there have HD sets, in order to be a standard it has to be much more than 5%.

I also predict the Blu-Ray will die as well, Sony is digging themselves a grave lately. Last Quarter results showed a VERY small profit for a company of that size. They lost a lot of money on the exploding batteries senario. They are losing what 2-300 dollars on each PS3. Three major game publishers left the PS3 exclusive contract with Sony, a big one being Koei. Many game developers are NOT impressed with the PS3 at all.

Back