Where Is The 3rd Party Love?

AtomicB

Sep 18, 2007
In my room. Working on project E-vile.
Wii Online Code
5873-1290-1753-2112
CharliesLetters.jpg

You know those un-funny politcal humor single strip comments in th newspapers?
Who's the poor sap who gets stuck doing that for a living?

Hi there, again! Yes, another thread. Anyways, this isn't so much as me countering stuff as it is me making a point.

See, the fact of the matter is Nintendo has gotten lame third-party-support from the 3rd parties for a while now. Now, the Wii just had it's first birthday, and we've done good so far as far as titles go. Hence:

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Super Paper Mario
Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Guitar Hero 3
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Battalion Wars 2

Ect...

But somethings wrong. We may have all these great titles, but the number of lame half-done 3rd party titles are far more than these. Think 300, but instead of bloody, sweaty men fighting each other, it's some guys in suits with coffee at 2:00 in the morning making games.

So, is there hope for the Wii future? Many argue that the Wii will wind up the way the Gamecube did. Lame 3rd party support through out it's life. But, is that really true?

Many developers still consider the Wii a fad where good 3rd party games don't sell. When questioned about the sales of Resident Evil 4, they say things like 'It's Capcom, all their games sell'.

Well, why the heck do they think all their games sell? Cause all their games are good! Moving on. I'm one of the people who look at the Wii's future and say 'Yeah, I chose the right system for me'. Why?

Well, 2008 should prove to be a turning point in the Wii's future. Why? Check out this line-up of 2008 3rd party games.

1. Okami

Okami_PS2_Box_Front_Tboxart_160w.jpg

Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Ready At Dawn Studios / Clover Studio
Release Date: Q2 2008
Rating: T
Yes, it's a port. But so is Resident Evil 4.

Okami was so underrated and under looked, that most of you probably didn't play it the first time around. This game, clocking in almost a 40 hour average, is a freaking work of art! And this is a Capcom port, people. They won't let it go down the tube!

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2PwIxzhVa7Q[/MEDIA]

2. No More Heroes
wii_nomoreheroes.jpg

Publisher: Ubisoft / Marvelous Interactive
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture (Killer 7, Contact)
Release Date: February 2008 (US, EU), December 6, 2007 (JP)
Rating: M

From the same stylized creators of Killer 7 comes a grittier game. Tons of blood, suggestive themes and what not. This should appeal to those complaining about the 'kiddie games' on the Wii, though i never thought that argument held much water.

Apparently, the developers got some big developer who's name begins with 'M' to try it and he said it wasn't that good. They agreed, went back, remodeled almost everything, and then tried again. He said 'This could really be something!'. So, that shows how much work they are putting in to it.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=tDSot5r1TzM[/MEDIA]

3. Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Publisher: Namco Bandai
Developer: tri-Crescendo
Release Date: TBA 2008 (US, JP)
Rating: Who knows?

This looks like an interesting project. Has something to do with ruins and the moon. The game looks pretty for a Wii titles, and the story line seems pretty good.

You get a flash light, and a stick for something. I don't know, the whole project is mysterious.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LnfYG-ItCe8[/MEDIA]

4. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
ZackAndWikiFinalboxart_160w.jpg

Developer: Capcom
Release Date: October 23, 2007 (US), December 31, 2007 (JP), December 7, 2007 (EU)
Rating: E

Possibly one of the most under looked games of 2007, Zack and Wiki is one of Capcom's first Wii exclusives. This game received overall good scores, but due to insufficient marketing, did not sell well.

It's a point and click, and it starts out easy, but through out the game the difficulty ramps up.

One of the things about Zack and Wiki is that they don't tell you how to work things. You have to figure it out. Use logic and common sense.

IGN has stated that this game 'could not be done on another system'. So, it's our first Wii 3rd party icing on the first Wii 3rd party cake!...

Lets hope this is the beginning of a new era...

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ziV03wLGDnY[/MEDIA]

5. Disaster: Day Of Crisis
box-l.jpg

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Monolith Software (JP)
Release Date: TBA 2008 (US), December 31, 2007 (JP)
Rating: ?

Yes, this game is second party, so why am I putting it here? Because it's un-Nintendo enough to put here. I made this thread, I can do whatever I please!

Disaster: Day Of Crisis is pretty much what it sounds like. Disasters making a day of crisis. Many people fear for this games future with the cancellation of Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

This game can either be really good, or really bad. It looks like it uses the over the shoulder camera system perfected by Resident Evil 4. Anyways, we will just have to wait and see how this game turns out.

If your a sucker for Disaster Movies like me (Day After Tomorrow!!!) then you must be pretty excited for this game, too!

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BHaItCFGI_g[/MEDIA]

6. Monster Hunter 3

first-look-monster-hunter-3-2007101.jpg

Developer: Capcom Production Studio 1
Release Date: TBA (US, JP)
Rating: ?

Now this news is big news. A PS3 game switched to Wii. And this is no minor game, either.

This is being developed by Capcom Production Studio 1.

These are the guys who made Devil may Cry 3 & 4, the other monster Hunters, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past w/ the Four Swords, Resident Evil: Outbreak, ect...

For those of you who are living under rocks (just like me) Monster Hunter is an amazing MMO that's been on the Sony systems up until now. I loved Monster Hunter for PS2, it really feels like Phantasy Star Online set in the past.

At least we know Wii will get 1 MMO, and if this was the only one I'd still be content.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hKCt0HqOkjI&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
^deserves rep

anyways..

I think about wii games like this. Mostly 1st party games are the only ones good in Nintendo because mostly, Nintendo made the Wii and they know exactly how to use its controls to its best potential.

On the other hand, third party users still experiments with the Wii. And with its crazy, growing sales, they want to release games that they think might follow with the massive sales that the wii has undergone. However, most of the time, it's a failure.

If you think about it though, I believe that developing a game for the Wii is a lot different than developing for any other video games from previous generation and still is now! I believe that developing a well-made video game for the Wii takes more time than PS3 and 360. The Wii, with its complicated and innovative controls, is far different and should not be taken lightly by third party companies.

The only thing that I think typical third party video games did good for the Wii was add more varieties of games out there for the people, so that the Wii doesn't seem to be "ignored".

P.S. you forgot the third party zack and wiki. I heard that one's pretty good. XD

nuh, wii graphics can't get that far brigibson, but close
how do you make those pictures atomic B? youve got some talent

I agree that some of the best titles for Wii are first party, but they've had their fair share of crap this year too. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Mario Party 8, and Battalion Wars 2 to name a few. Third party games have sucked for the most part too, but don't forget great games like Zack & Wiki, MLB PowerPros, and Trauma Center.

I have high expectations that 2008 is going to be a good year for Wii.

*Looks at title dosent read the words*

Its next door darling

well, if you were a 3rd party, would you want to put time and effort into a game so that harcore players could A) love it or B) say "no it just sold cause its capcom," or "yeah people only bought it cause theres nothing else out" or would you rather cash in on a crap mini game collection that would make you just as much if not more money?

3rd parties obviously dont care as much about wii's hardcore audience as much as all the new gamers.

PS i heard bioshock rumors. not 08 though probably 09.

AtomicB said:
Amazing how no one has even looked at this... Goodnight, people...
it had only been 20 minutes since you posted. calm down a little.

yeah theres a few interesting 3rd party titles comign out next year but thats not enough to keep it from going the route of gamecube, wich probably had a few interesting 3rd party titles as well. (i wouldnt know, i never had a cube)

the wii as youall know is aimed at kids and older adults as well, nongamers, and they just eat those crap games up for the gimicky controls that were "created at 2 in the morning" so why would someone want to work hard and spend money on game developement to sell less copies of a good game to the wii's hardcore crowd, when they could make sweet mini games like cooking mama (sarcasm) and sell twice as many copies of a crap game to the wiis nongamer crowd

edit: Samxcor3 LOL bioshock? keep dreaming

Last edited:
Well I've been a little bit of a lurker for the forum for a while, but I really needed to comment on this thread.

That is the biggest problem I've seen so far for Nintendo, 3rd party companies don't release any good games on them (last minute ports don't count because they almost always suck, not count RE:4).

I know that these 3rd party companies are always looking for ways to make the most money, one of the reasons game cube had little to no games made, but with the huge amounts of Wii sales, someone in these companies has to realize there is money making oppurtunities there. The only problem with making games on entirely new platforms takes a lot of time. I'm hoping that earlier this year and throughout the entire summer, many of these 3rd party companies are allocating design teams to develop Wii games. So my expectation isn't to expect several 3rd party games until Christmas '08 or early '09.

Great thread atomicb, but I'm not holding my breath for any great games to come out until late next year.

once again ill say it here as i did in another thread....yes Unreal Engine 3 has come onto the Wii ...BUT it has to take a HUGE step back in order for the games to even be played on the wii..the Wii is nothing more then a gamecube..the only difference is a slight graphic upgrade..all the hardware is still the same....and here is a article of why a lot of 3rd party game makers are having trouble with the wii.

Kikizo: You've been able to squeeze Unreal Engine 2 onto PSP previously; with that in mind is there any potential to get some form of Unreal Engine 3 running on Wii at some point? Because after all, commercially it has to be worth it now right?

Rein: It wasn't us, it was Ubisoft! [laughs] You know, actually, commercially, it's probably not worth it to be honest. And I don't mean that as anything against the Wii, but the Wii is an improved evolution of the GameCube - I mean it's hardware compatible with the GameCube! So if you're going to make a game for the Wii you're just going to use whatever tools you used on GameCube, and bring them forward and enhance them a little - that's what the Gamebryo guys are doing - and that's a fact; I just don't see a big market there to bring this big hulking memory intensive engine over to a much smaller system. I mean, I'm sure some of our licensees, just as a commercial exercise, will probably do it. I know one of our licensee who's giving it a shot; it's their own port, in the same way Ubisoft brought Unreal Engine 2 to the Wii - I mean Splinter Cell and Red Steel - Unreal Engine 2, and there's a few others... but it's just, we won't don't do it ourselves. Look, there's so many things we can do and are already doing, to improve our engine, on the platforms we're aiming it at, that going back and working on that [for Wii] just doesn't make sense. Unreal Engine 3 is a better engine today than it was a year ago when Gears of War shipped. So Unreal Tournament 3 for example pushes the PlayStation 3 harder than Gears of War did on Xbox 360. So the engine is getting optimised and we're improving it all the time; there's too much low hanging fruit that we already have on the engine side, and new improvements and things we can do to try and make an engine for the Wii - it wouldn't be smart business for us.

Marc said:
EA are backing the Wii in a big way.

anyone can come in here an back the WII up but NO ONE will do a good job, the only thing the wii is gonna be good for is and i really hate to say this but "kiddie" games...yes the game play in itself it wonderful, but u will never see a game like Gears of War or Halo or Socom, or anything of that nature on a Wii...it just doesnt have the power.

Back