Which Controlers will you be using for Brawl?

Leviathan said:
yeah, it plugs in like the Nunchuck... it's just on the rear of the classic controller there is some latching things and I havn't found anything they latch to.

Its so that when you plug in the classic controler, you can wrap the cord around the wii remote and latch the wii remote onto the classic, instead of the wii remote just chillen down by your feet and whatnot. I dont have a classic, but I am 95% sure this is what it is for because I saw a picture one time and thought it was ridiculous.

you know wat, even people that have never played smash bros or didnt get in to it will since you can use 3 types of controllers. that means theres 3 types of gaming experiences and people can chose which one they like the most. melee only had 1 option, since the cube only had one controller. same with the 64 one. Everyone should love this game.

Yes (Classic Controller Plugs into Wii Remote), semi-wireless if you ask me. Kinda like the nunchuk but you don't move it around so the wires don't get in the way. It's very comfortable but like I said, it need a grip attachment to be complete. Any harcore fighting game enthusiast would agree with me.

I still think the PS2 controller is the best controller made for fighting games, second would be the Classic SNES then coming in close third would be the Classic Controller on the Wii...

The Xbox S and Dreamcast controller is alright for fighting games but the D-Pad is way stiff. The PS2 D-Pad are seperate buttons, some may think it's not good for fighting games by looking at it but it's really responsive and pulling moves like a Uppercut or two quater circles forward is done with ease...

That comes down to the Classic SNES controller which is like the Dreamcast and Wii Classic Controller D-Pad, but has a soft rubbery feel to them which makes them very resposive and easy to pull off super moves and combos.

And now the Classic Controller on the Wii, the D-Pad is almost the same as the Classic SNES controller except it's hard plastic/rubber and slightly bigger compared to the SNES one. So in theory just by feel, I can tell it's very good for fighting games even though I don't have fighting game that requires the D-Pad yet (Guilty Gear will use it)...

Here's are grip, sorta:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/767/767342p1.html

Just look at the grips and not the Wii remote attachment, after this something similar will come out just for the Classic Controller...

Did someone say PS2???

Last edited:
ur not going to be able to use the wiimote sideways cause u need the nunchuck too. unless you have someone else hold the nunchuck for you lol

Sugar said:
GameCube, Classic controller, and the Wiimote sideways, if they are options.

Sorry but the Wii Remote sideway would be an awkward feel for playing Brawl, not to metion that the D-Pad is way too small and the
reaching for the other action button would be a chore... :lol:

Kinda of reminds me of Super Paper Mario, biggest reason I gave up (don't know why they didn't put in a Classic Contrller option for the game)...

If anthing it's gonna be the Wii Remote plus Nunchuk attachment...

Last edited:
GC controller.
I doubt we'll be able to use the Wiimote.

no, itll definantely use the wiimote. like levesqueisking said in the other thread, brawl is still a wii game, so it has to use the wiimote. it wouldnt be fair if someone didnt have a gamecube or classic controller. they could buy brawl and not even get to play it right away if it didnt use the wiimote. thats pretty much proof itll use the wiimote

LevesqueIsKing said:
Its so that when you plug in the classic controler, you can wrap the cord around the wii remote and latch the wii remote onto the classic, instead of the wii remote just chillen down by your feet and whatnot. I dont have a classic, but I am 95% sure this is what it is for because I saw a picture one time and thought it was ridiculous.

<Tries it>

While you can put the wii strap in there, there is no way to loop it through so that only one of the latches is latching it. And not very securely at that. Also it just dangles straight down. I'm gonna be honest while I don't think that's its purpose, it is the best suggestion yet.

Taills said:
GC controller.
I doubt we'll be able to use the Wiimote.

I agree and disagree. :lol:

Yes Gamecube controller would be perfect for the game, same goes for the Classic Controller. But I think it's safe to say Nintendo is gonna use Brawl just like the Virtual Console to promote sales on the Classic Controller...

It's gonna go something like this, Classic Controller plays great for Brawl and is equally as great for Virtual Console games (made for Virtual Console games..LOL). My opinion is there's gonna be 3 controller schemes ala Mortal Kombat Armegeddon. But I don't think Nintendo is gonna premote GC controllers cause it's end of production life, so for those who own GC controller or lucky enough to grab a Wavebird via Ebay then it's an added bonus.

And lastly, they're gonna make the Wii Remote and Nunchuk combo work. So for people who do not own a GC or Classic controller don't have to run out and but a new controller (but will have to put up with awkward and hard controller learning curve). But of course if you're a true fighting game fan or Super Smash Bros fan, you already know that you'll probably run out and find a GC controller or buy a Classic Controller...

Just a second take...

Last edited:
gamecube controllers are still in production. wat are u talkin about? they actually went up higher when the wii came out cause some people used their wii as a gamecube 2 so alot of people picked up some controllers. and theres still plenty of cube controllers in stores

^If they continue to make games compatable with the gamecube controller do you think that:
1. We could possibly see gamecube controllers return to their original prices, from when the gamecube was released?
2. Nintendo might release a new Gamecube controller (doubtfful, seeing as the classic controller serves this purpose)?

also, have we already reached the wii remotes current peak in usage? Games are already turning back to the original control schemes? Is this a bad sign about the wii remotes future?

penguinphil said:
also, have we already reached the wii remotes current peak in usage? Games are already turning back to the original control schemes? Is this a bad sign about the wii remotes future?
no, we havent reached the peak of the wiimote. brawl is only one of the few games that u can use another controller. theres still other great titles coming that GREATLY utilize the wiiomote like Metroid 3 and Batallion Wars 2 and Starfox Wii and MarioKart Wii and that new Zelda coming out in 2009.

Brawl shows just how good the wii is, the fact that u can use regular controlers. the wii is 3 systems in one, gamecube, motion sensing Wii, and regualr controller wii. i think pokemon revolution uses the wiimote too.

Last edited:
Shoko said:
gamecube controllers are still in production. wat are u talkin about? they actually went up higher when the wii came out cause some people used their wii as a gamecube 2 so alot of people picked up some controllers. and theres still plenty of cube controllers in stores

Ok, so say I got my sources wrong. But aren't we talking about a Wii game here and not a Gamecube game. So yes I maybe wrong tha Gamecube Controller not still in production but I don't think people are gonna run out and buy a GC controller just for Brawl. Yes, if you have Gamecube controller you can use it for Gamecube games also, but we're talking mass audience here and not just Nintendo fans like the Gamecube hence why the Gamecube didn't reach sale totals like the PS2. So what i'm saying is, a lot of people are new to the Wii and not gonna buy and Gamcube Controller just to play Brawl and the same people know nothing about the Gamecube and not likely to buy an old last generation game and peripheral anyway...

If the Wii wasn't doing so well then yes it's safe to say what your saying cause it'll be all Nintendo fans anyway, who've probably ownded a Gamecube before the Wii... Mass production baby, do you want the Wii to be successful??? We're talking for the avid gamer and not just Nintendo FANBOYS...

Last edited:
Back