Who eles likes My Chemical Romance besides me?

MCR is the worst band ever, in fact emo is the worst style of music ever, theyve stolen musical and personal styles from so many other generes and so many other bands, emo is an abomination of music and any band that affiliates themselves with emo should be severly ashamed. and for those who say emo is expressing individual style then maybe you should listen to some real music to see how much they've really copied, but hey why not be individual... just like everyone else.

Oh, Jesus, someone is a very misinformed little retard aren't they? You're perfectly entitled to your opinions at the top so I can't really rip on them, but... Well, let's just kick this pig and we'll see where we get.

theyve stolen musical and personal styles from so many other generes and so many other bands

I'm trying to work out here a single style of music which doesn't have elements from other styles. The Trash Metal that Metallica were famous for back when they were good was mainly made up of elements from the slower metal bands which preceeded them mixed with elements from hardcore music (hardcore being one of the many styles coming out of Punk music). Most modern "metal" music steals most of it's influences - not shockingly - from Thrash Metal meaning that, via proxy, they are stealing from Punk.

Of course, Punk itself stole many of it's influences from earlier styles but combined them into a more aggressive style to fit the lyrics of the music they were playing. This reduced the music to a more simple style which happened to fit the passion which the bands were trying to instil with their music.

"Emo" is actually referred to as "Post-Hardcore", coming out of the Hardcore genre I mentioned earlier. (Hardcore is bands like Poison the Well etc). The first "Emo" bands are actually straight from Hardcore when some Hardcore bands who were singing about things very much linked to Punk (politics etc) started to add more emotional meanings to their songs and, also, started to try and portray the emotion through their lyrical styles (screaming, whispering etc).

"Emo", though, then went on to be a sort of insult for softer Hardcore bands rather than a tag which had anything to do with emotion. That is why the term "Post-Hardcore" came about because bands such as Thursday and Alexisonfire didn't want to be tagged with the term "Emo" because they didn't think it represented what their music was supposed to be.

"Emo" only became popular again when MTV started to use it to describe bands who were, essentially, punk, but used elements from hardcore such as screaming, solos and other more intricate musical elements than punk does along with going for more emotional lyrics. These bands - bands like Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance and Brand New - are actually more like Punk than anything else (especially if you ignore the lyrics) and bare no resemblence to the "Hardcore" label where Emo first came from.

Basically, "Emo" is a very ambiguous label much like "Goth" is a very ambiguous label.

Oh, and as for saying "why not be individual", all bands have influences that they base their music upon. MCR, for example, have a lot of elements from the bands QUEEN and SMASHING PUMPKINS in their music. It's a trend of the mind that if you like a certain style then you are going to try and create music within that certain style, which is why most bands start out sounding very much the same as other bands, but as time goes on and they get more room to experiment their style branches out more - the new Linkin Park album, for example, sounds NOTHING like the Nu-Metal style they started out with.

and for those who say emo is expressing individual style then maybe you should listen to some real music to see how much they've really copied

I'm sorry; is there some sort of ethical committee which decides which music is "real" and which music is "fake"? The last time I checked anything which produces a sound for the form of entertainment is music and whether you like that particular style or not it doesn't stop the style being "real".

I don't like a heavy amount of the current R and B music which is being played on mainstream stations but it doesn't mean that it is any less "real" than the music I like...

Anyway, I'm done educating idiots on "Emo".

Griever said:
Oh, Jesus, someone is a very misinformed little retard aren't they? You're perfectly entitled to your opinions at the top so I can't really rip on them, but... Well, let's just kick this pig and we'll see where we get.

I'm trying to work out here a single style of music which doesn't have elements from other styles. The Trash Metal that Metallica were famous for back when they were good was mainly made up of elements from the slower metal bands which preceeded them mixed with elements from hardcore music (hardcore being one of the many styles coming out of Punk music). Most modern "metal" music steals most of it's influences - not shockingly - from Thrash Metal meaning that, via proxy, they are stealing from Punk.

Of course, Punk itself stole many of it's influences from earlier styles but combined them into a more aggressive style to fit the lyrics of the music they were playing. This reduced the music to a more simple style which happened to fit the passion which the bands were trying to instil with their music.

"Emo" is actually referred to as "Post-Hardcore", coming out of the Hardcore genre I mentioned earlier. (Hardcore is bands like Poison the Well etc). The first "Emo" bands are actually straight from Hardcore when some Hardcore bands who were singing about things very much linked to Punk (politics etc) started to add more emotional meanings to their songs and, also, started to try and portray the emotion through their lyrical styles (screaming, whispering etc).

"Emo", though, then went on to be a sort of insult for softer Hardcore bands rather than a tag which had anything to do with emotion. That is why the term "Post-Hardcore" came about because bands such as Thursday and Alexisonfire didn't want to be tagged with the term "Emo" because they didn't think it represented what their music was supposed to be.

"Emo" only became popular again when MTV started to use it to describe bands who were, essentially, punk, but used elements from hardcore such as screaming, solos and other more intricate musical elements than punk does along with going for more emotional lyrics. These bands - bands like Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance and Brand New - are actually more like Punk than anything else (especially if you ignore the lyrics) and bare no resemblence to the "Hardcore" label where Emo first came from.

Basically, "Emo" is a very ambiguous label much like "Goth" is a very ambiguous label.

Oh, and as for saying "why not be individual", all bands have influences that they base their music upon. MCR, for example, have a lot of elements from the bands QUEEN and SMASHING PUMPKINS in their music. It's a trend of the mind that if you like a certain style then you are going to try and create music within that certain style, which is why most bands start out sounding very much the same as other bands, but as time goes on and they get more room to experiment their style branches out more - the new Linkin Park album, for example, sounds NOTHING like the Nu-Metal style they started out with.

I'm sorry; is there some sort of ethical committee which decides which music is "real" and which music is "fake"? The last time I checked anything which produces a sound for the form of entertainment is music and whether you like that particular style or not it doesn't stop the style being "real".

I don't like a heavy amount of the current R and B music which is being played on mainstream stations but it doesn't mean that it is any less "real" than the music I like...

Anyway, I'm done educating idiots on "Emo".
Dude your awsome.

MCR are huge failures.
They were never good. Have never been good. And their audience consists of 13 year old girls who think they're "not like you". How alternative.
They're lyrics are whiney. Their music is a joke and so are they.

Well said Griever.

Just a side note about your post. The first Linkin Park single from the new album is IMO awesome. I love the new style.

Almo said:
MCR is the worst band ever, in fact emo is the worst style of music ever, theyve stolen musical and personal styles from so many other generes and so many other bands, emo is an abomination of music and any band that affiliates themselves with emo should be severly ashamed. and for those who say emo is expressing individual style then maybe you should listen to some real music to see how much they've really copied, but hey why not be individual... just like everyone else.
Get a life.
EVERY band/genre of music takes inspiration from other bands/genres. Emo is a respectable genre of music in its own right.
Whats "real" music? in fact I'm not interested so don't respond.

Bumping an old thread:

I finally found a song by MCR that I like! It's a cover of Under Pressure!

Can't beat Bowie, but it's still catchy tune.

ummmm...... my mudda loves them, but the only song of theres i heared ever had "something something black parade" in pizza hut

No thanks.
Horrible band, whiney emo and they dress like girls. Their fanbase consists of 13 year old emo girls who cut, say they're "not like you", and think they're nonconformist. God why.

YES!!!! Anyone Who Knows Me Knows I LOVE MCR!

As A Matter Of Fact, I Just Drew A Picture Of Gerard Way(Lead Vocalist) I'll Edit This When I Get It Up.

yeah there alrite, i like their old stuff but their new stuff.....meh

LOVE MCR TO DEATH!!!!....seen them in concert last year in Toronto..it was amazing!! their new album (not so new ne more) kicks ass!!!

allstar2b87 said:
LOVE MCR TO DEATH!!!!....seen them in concert last year in Toronto..it was amazing!! their new album (not so new ne more) kicks ass!!!

Agreed :D

Have you ever heard their old stuff? (Bullets)

Back