Who here has made their own wireless sensor for Big Screen?

legbuh

WiiChat Member
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, so I'm reading everything I can so I can get things set up for my home theater (front projection) when I do get a Wii.

Ideally I'd like to play standing about 10-15 feet away from the screen.

I found this link that shows a nice $20 DIY wireless setup:

Click Me

Anyone done anything similar?

I've also heard about candles (and how they actually increase the range significantly). Also an option.

But if candles work, and IR LEDs work (but don't add as much distance), why not standard white LEDs? Or something else? :)

Ideas? Who's using something like this at 10-15 feet away and how is it working?

Candles? Explain! My basement the tv and couch are just about 4 feet short of the range of the wii. You have to bend forward while sitting to get the cursor to show up on screen and while its not a major problem it would be wonderful if i dont have to sit on the floor to play my wii. how can i increase this range by like then a few more feet? and not have the cursor becoming so shaky

I have a feeling maybe nintendo is working on something for home theater people. With front projectors becoming so popular, they'd be dumb not to. :)

I have heard about 3rd party ones that are supposed to give 25 feet. Who knows. I think they may have overlooked the technology on this one, thinking everyone will be in front of their TVs, close enough.

DarkenSpirit said:
Candles? Explain! My basement the tv and couch are just about 4 feet short of the range of the wii. You have to bend forward while sitting to get the cursor to show up on screen and while its not a major problem it would be wonderful if i dont have to sit on the floor to play my wii. how can i increase this range by like then a few more feet? and not have the cursor becoming so shaky
Candles release the same IR light as the sensor bars, so having them is perfectly fine for the wiimote to pick up its position in space and act accordingly on the screen.

Byuakuya said:
Candles release the same IR light as the sensor bars, so having them is perfectly fine for the wiimote to pick up its position in space and act accordingly on the screen.

So I just put a candle near my sensor bar? where is it supposed to go? inbetween? What about playing with the lights off?

DarkenSpirit said:
So I just put a candle near my sensor bar? where is it supposed to go? inbetween? What about playing with the lights off?
You can use the candles as a substitute for the sensor bar. It becomes the sensor bar instead. Two candles kept at the same length of a sensor bar or so should work. All the sensor bar is doing is with-drawing power from the wii to emit IR light. Check it out.

Back