Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Who is bothered by Play History?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by dchao, Apr 23, 2007.

1. dchao

dchao WiiChat Member

I am a bit concerned about the inability to clear this system record, and this info could be used by Nintendo for their own marketing purpose. I don't wish my game playing habit to be broadcasted to the Internet! Anyone else?

2. Mau

Mau WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8829-6844-1117-2743
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    I don't care, I guess. I mean, when your life is judge by your social security number, I don't thinl there is nothing worst than the social security number

3. TiredOfSex

it says "With user consent"

4. Mau

Mau WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8829-6844-1117-2743
    8829-6844-1117-2743
    I think that once you connect it to the internet you are saying yes, maybe I am wrong.

5. Almo

Almo WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 8407-4245-3370-0256
    8407-4245-3370-0256
    lol well i can see no one read the terms and conditions of using Wii online lol,itll be written in there somewhere im sure

6. Wiily Good

Wiily Good WiiChat Member

Who cares if they see you playing Super Paper Mario for 10 hours a day. This is a good thing, it's saying to Nintendo, "I like Super Paper Mario, I will most definately buy the next edition of it". Therefore Nintendo will make another Super Paper Mario.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Almo

Almo WiiChat Member

8407-4245-3370-0256
    highly agree, plus when online play comes im sure itll mention hours of online play too,same as above if ninty sees us playing it there more likely to develop towards us :thumbsup:

8. dchao

dchao WiiChat Member

but that will just encourage Nintendo to rehash the same games that over and over until we are all bored to death, and we will never get any creativity coming from Nintendo. Great games are always developed in a totally different genre, such as Pac Man and Super Mario Bros, we want great games but not just the rehash of old ones.

But don't you think Nintendo should have given us the option to clear the game history data only (apart from wiping out your entire system memory)?

9. Almo

Almo WiiChat Member

8407-4245-3370-0256
    true in part, but i doubt nintendo will continue to rehash games, sure theyll put more effort into sequals for a start but im not sure nintendo is so short sighted that theyll put all thier eggs in one basket,there will always be other games, and yeah i think they should have,im not sure how much memory theyll take up but over a few years im sure itll build up.

10. ericlewis91

ericlewis91 im McLovin

Wii Friend Code: 6031-8713-1077-8188
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    well its the whole parents thing..for me..my rents say...you can play wii for 2houts..and then thats it! then do ur homework..then i get caught playing more then 2 hours!

11. Byuakuya

Byuakuya Bleach & Heroes fan.

I think its a great idea for Nintendo to know the playing habits of its customers to release games and such according to this data.

12. markmanuel18

markmanuel18 WiiChat Member

I won't like them to know.

13. surfinrach90

surfinrach90 I GOT A JAR OF DIRT.

Don't think I mind really, I mean it can only do good..

14. Andrakis_Scarr

Andrakis_Scarr WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7223-7031-2631-4774
    7223-7031-2631-4774
    I don't mind them knowing my habits with gaming. Only thing that annoys me is you can't delete the records on your calender view at all - There are going to be a lot of them after a year or so. Also, it makes finding mail annoying; Open the calender look back and try and pick out which 'envelop' marker on a day is actually mail not just "you played such and such for so many hours". It means I have to go through days one by one to find anything.

15. dchao

dchao WiiChat Member

Invasion of privacy

But how far would you let your parents/corporations spy on you? Would you let them know your IM history? or maybe your browsing habit? Would you be happy if your PC is loaded with spyware?

Nintendo should disclose to users that their gaming histories are being track when you switch on the system the first time and provide the ability to turn them off if the users wish to do so.

Let me remind all of you: Invasion of privacy is a legal term essentially defined as a violation of the right to be left alone. The right to privacy is the right to control property against search and seizure, and to control information about oneself.

16. strommsarnac

strommsarnac WiiChat Member

A long time ago, I was taught a very simple moto to live by:
    Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing.

That's the short and sweet of it. Long: Somehow, somewhere, sometime, someone is going to find out something you've said, done or wrote. It will happen even if you don't know it. So, if you care, don't do "it".

I've lived by that since I was 6. My parents ALWAYS found crap out. I learned early on to just not do the "bad" stuff. Now I'm a parent and I've taught my kids the same. A few times, they've tested us and learned they can't hide stuff.

I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall. But my daughter is 13 and I was her logs VERY closely. We are active in their relationships with friends, but not fist&hammer controlling.

It's a simple understanding. We give them things they want, they are accountable for their actions. Step to far over, you lose privilages. Cell, xB0x, TV, Internet, car, phone, money, etc. are all PRIVILAGES NOT RIGHTS. Earn them and maintain that privilage or it could be gone till you turn 18 and leave my house.

Now here's the major difference I see between other parents nowadays. We taught them morals EARLY in life, not just by words but also by deeds. We actually care if our kids do nefarious things because it can ruin THEIR life later. I don't care because of what other's might think about us, but what other's might think about my kids later. Most parents are too stuck up on what their friends might think if their kids get in trouble.

Growing up, my friend's parents used to say "don't get in trouble and make me embarrassed". I hated that. Christ, grow up and worry about your kids, not your ego.

17. En4Neo

En4Neo Jet-Set-Jesse

Not really, I don't plan on playing pron Wii games in the future....

18. D Twizzle

D Twizzle Lovin' The Wii

Wii Friend Code: 0130-2935-1724-6313
    0130-2935-1724-6313
    Some nice words to think about, thank you.

19. Andrakis_Scarr

Andrakis_Scarr WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 7223-7031-2631-4774
    7223-7031-2631-4774
    I agree.

As for that, I personally don't mind about Nintendo monitoring my game usage. As for parents (or in my case, my wife ;)) seeing what I am doing, I have no problems with it. If I was a parent (God willing, I someday will be) I would make use of the features of the system to monitor what my kids are doing, how much time they are using it and such and also use the parental controls.

As for the spyware stuff, I think there is a difference. If Nintendo did start loading programs which screw up the wii, slow it down, start redirecting pages (or channels) to inappropriate sites or bombarding me with advertisements all the time then Yes, I would have a problem with it. At this stage however, they don't so I am not worried.

20. WiiZero

WiiZero Game Wiizard

Wii Friend Code: 5435-9829-5121-8955
    5435-9829-5121-8955
    It's not like they are going to single you out and believe you me you are far from playing the most here is my report from yesterday

Twilight Princess - 23:59