Who is bothered by Play History?

A long time ago, I was taught a very simple moto to live by:
Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing.

That's the short and sweet of it. Long: Somehow, somewhere, sometime, someone is going to find out something you've said, done or wrote. It will happen even if you don't know it. So, if you care, don't do "it".

I've lived by that since I was 6. My parents ALWAYS found crap out. I learned early on to just not do the "bad" stuff. Now I'm a parent and I've taught my kids the same. A few times, they've tested us and learned they can't hide stuff.

I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall. But my daughter is 13 and I was her logs VERY closely. We are active in their relationships with friends, but not fist&hammer controlling.

It's a simple understanding. We give them things they want, they are accountable for their actions. Step to far over, you lose privilages. Cell, xB0x, TV, Internet, car, phone, money, etc. are all PRIVILAGES NOT RIGHTS. Earn them and maintain that privilage or it could be gone till you turn 18 and leave my house.

Now here's the major difference I see between other parents nowadays. We taught them morals EARLY in life, not just by words but also by deeds. We actually care if our kids do nefarious things because it can ruin THEIR life later. I don't care because of what other's might think about us, but what other's might think about my kids later. Most parents are too stuck up on what their friends might think if their kids get in trouble.

Growing up, my friend's parents used to say "don't get in trouble and make me embarrassed". I hated that. Christ, grow up and worry about your kids, not your ego.

strommsarnac said:
Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing.

That's the short and sweet of it. Long: Somehow, somewhere, sometime, someone is going to find out something you've said, done or wrote. It will happen even if you don't know it. So, if you care, don't do "it".

I've lived by that since I was 6. My parents ALWAYS found crap out. I learned early on to just not do the "bad" stuff. Now I'm a parent and I've taught my kids the same. A few times, they've tested us and learned they can't hide stuff.

I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall. But my daughter is 13 and I was her logs VERY closely. We are active in their relationships with friends, but not fist&hammer controlling.

It's a simple understanding. We give them things they want, they are accountable for their actions. Step to far over, you lose privilages. Cell, xB0x, TV, Internet, car, phone, money, etc. are all PRIVILAGES NOT RIGHTS. Earn them and maintain that privilage or it could be gone till you turn 18 and leave my house.

Now here's the major difference I see between other parents nowadays. We taught them morals EARLY in life, not just by words but also by deeds. We actually care if our kids do nefarious things because it can ruin THEIR life later. I don't care because of what other's might think about us, but what other's might think about my kids later. Most parents are too stuck up on what their friends might think if their kids get in trouble.

Growing up, my friend's parents used to say "don't get in trouble and make me embarrassed". I hated that. Christ, grow up and worry about your kids, not your ego.
Some nice words to think about, thank you.

strommsarnac said:
Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing...

I agree.

dchao said:
But how far would you let your parents/corporations spy on you? Would you let them know your IM history? or maybe your browsing habit? Would you be happy if your PC is loaded with spyware?

As for that, I personally don't mind about Nintendo monitoring my game usage. As for parents (or in my case, my wife ;)) seeing what I am doing, I have no problems with it. If I was a parent (God willing, I someday will be) I would make use of the features of the system to monitor what my kids are doing, how much time they are using it and such and also use the parental controls.

As for the spyware stuff, I think there is a difference. If Nintendo did start loading programs which screw up the wii, slow it down, start redirecting pages (or channels) to inappropriate sites or bombarding me with advertisements all the time then Yes, I would have a problem with it. At this stage however, they don't so I am not worried.

It's not like they are going to single you out and believe you me you are far from playing the most here is my report from yesterday

Twilight Princess - 23:59

strommsarnac said:
I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall.

wow thats horrible, i would never spy on my kids.(if they know you monitor them, thats different)

I agree with Earthworm Jim. You should try to understand your kids through spending time together (or playing video games together :lol: ). By spying on them, you are just preventing them doing the illegal stuff, but you still don't know why they are doing it, and you are not solving the problem.

I dont really care myself....
its not really a BIG deal and if someone knows you really love games...well whats wrong with that!?

You agree agreed to the terms and conditions which included receiving game play data from your console when you first connected to the internet. so if you don't want them collecting data from you then you should not have agree to the terms and actually read them(I did not but your the person complaining about doing it). the option was there for them not to collect information but you agreed to it.

Back