Who uses a Mac?

Shiftfallout said:
well no, an equally configured PC would cost 3 times less than a Mac and can do 100 x more than one as well. Im not saying macs are bad, but they are expensive and what you get is only a fraction of what the PC is capable of. Just the facts.
It wouldn't cost three times less for a pre configured PC. If you built one, then it might. They can't do a hundred times more either. Macs can do almost anything a PC can with the exception of gaming. Yes what you get on a Mac is only a fraction of what you get with a PC, of course I'm assuming you are referring to viruses.

paintba||er said:

It wouldn't cost three times less for a pre configured PC. If you built one, then it might. They can't do a hundred times more either. Macs can do almost anything a PC can with the exception of gaming. Yes what you get on a Mac is only a fraction of what you get with a PC, of course I'm assuming you are referring to viruses.

Linux is the best!

got imac g4, powerbook and imac intel 17"

they are not really expensive... compare the core 2 duo of sony or fujitsu or hp, you'll see the price of macbook is just right.

re softwares... there are alot of good softwares for mac.
re os... vista is just starting what osx has been doing for 3 to 4yrs now.
and yes, there aren't much virus floating around.

paintba||er said:

I like Linux and Mac almost equally. I have just had a few bad experiences with Linux, which is why I slightly prefer OS X.
understandable since Linux is kinda hard to get your head around at first.

paintba||er said:

No, you can get pre-configured PCs for 3 times less than that of a mac. Check out Ibuypower.com for example. You actually have the freedom to pick from numerous companies for upgrades rather than one company which is Apple. Competition breeds lower prices and better products. Apple has a monopoly on its own units while PCs are not based off any one major company.

As for those viruses, looks like you have been watching too many of those false mac vs pc commercials. Truely the PC has at least ten times more applications, games, options, customization, protection and user base than that of a mac. Im not dissing the mac, its just true. Go ahead, goto an electronic store that sells software, tell me how big the PC section is and how big the mac section is. Bingo. Then look at the prices for that software. Bingo again. While macs have less options for apps, games, third party hardware, they also cost a ton more. Bingo!

Again, nothing wrong with macs, but lets not pretend they are more than they really are.

Shiftfallout said:
No, you can get pre-configured PCs for 3 times less than that of a mac. Check out Ibuypower.com for example. You actually have the freedom to pick from numerous companies for upgrades rather than one company which is Apple. Competition breeds lower prices and better products. Apple has a monopoly on its own units while PCs are not based off any one major company.
The hardware isn't exactly Apples strongest point. (though it does look awesome) You can also buy upgrades from companies other than Apple. I know I would never buy RAM from Apple because the price is ridiculous.
As for those viruses, looks like you have been watching too many of those false mac vs pc commercials.
How can you deny the amount of viruses Windows has? While OS X has zero, Windows has hundreds of thousands.

Truely the PC has at least ten times more applications, games, options, customization, protection and user base than that of a mac.
But many of these applications accomplish the same things. You can find an application for Mac to replace almost any Windows app. Macs obviously aren't meant for gaming as I have already stated. Protection? Maybe Macs don't have protection because they don't need it. They are actually secure unlike Windows. The user base doesn't matter, because if you buy something based on how many other people have, you are an idiot.

Im not dissing the mac, its just true. Go ahead, goto an electronic store that sells software, tell me how big the PC section is and how big the mac section is. Bingo. Then look at the prices for that software. Bingo again. While macs have less options for apps, games, third party hardware, they also cost a ton more. Bingo!
They don't cost a ton more. They may cost slightly more, but it is nothing unbearable.

Again, nothing wrong with macs, but lets not pretend they are more than they really are.

In the end it is all personal preference, and Windows is good for some things and people, while Mac is good for others.

Last edited:
Shiftfallout said:
While macs have less options for apps, games, third party hardware, they also cost a ton more. Bingo!

Look at the crappy apps that come on a pc... Publisher, Print shop, etc..
You get what you pay for. There are tons of programs for macs and not to mention you can load windows on a mac and run in that platform but can you do that on a PC????? NOT!!!!!! and as far as cost, like I said you get what you pay for. You should see some of the crap people bring in to get printed from Publisher, a 59.00 progam that has hardley any choices and you can't even make a spot color in that stupid program.

There are things that are better to do on a PC ie. book keeping and things that are better on a MAC ie. graphic design.

BINGO!!!

Shift:

There are now emulation programs better than Bootcamp, that can actually let you run Windows Flawlessly at the the same time you're running OSX. Imagine an OSX screen when all of a sudden a Windows window pops right up. Both OS's, one screen, no need to switch between or boot up into it. You can do that now. And it runs just fine.

Gaming is NOT THAT BAD on Macs. This is a huge myth that I wish people would get over. Yes, there is a limit. But all Blizzard games, all the sims games, Halo, UT2004, HL2, CS:Source, GW, and WoW can all run on a Mac one way or another. Honestly, with Widnows emulations, you can run any game you want at competitive speeds, resolutions and framerates. Whether it's through emulation, or a company porting for the Mac (UT, halo, sims)

The reason you're gonna pay more for the Mac is stability. I'm not talking about stability in the OS, or the apps, i mean in the architecture.

A lot of other brand laptops are made with cheap shells, that will break easily (DELL) Apple has some of the best architectural design there is. And they also have some cool features. Like the light sensors on the Mac Book Pro. example, if I were to turn all the lights off in my room, my MacBook will sense that, dim my screen, and turn on the back-light keyboard so that it becomes more comfortable on my eyes to use it it low light situations. Now I know some may put that under the "bells and whistles" category......but c'mon....That's pretty damn cool.

I still use both, to be honest. I have a Mac, a PC running Windows, and a PC running Ubuntu. So i mean, Whatev...like someone said "to each his own"

tank said:
Shift:And they also have some cool features. Like the light sensors on the Mac Book Pro. example, if I were to turn all the lights off in my room, my MacBook will sense that, dim my screen, and turn on the back-light keyboard so that it becomes more comfortable on my eyes to use it it low light situations. Now I know some may put that under the "bells and whistles" category......but c'mon....That's pretty damn cool.

My MACBookPro does teh same think.. It's Awesome!!!!!

ok some people here are stating things which are far from fact...
i've been a PC user for 13 odd years now, using Windows for most of that, and only Mac's for a year.

Price. Mac's arn't cheap, everyone knows it, BUT... you know that these computers are well built, you get quality and quantity. the amount of software that comes pre-loaded is amazing. woops sorry, i shall re-phrase that. the ammount of usefull software that comes pre-loaded is amazing. you get a couple of games, address book, automator (amazing automation of tasks app), comic life (making comic books), the iSeries (iPhoto, iSync, iTunes,iWeb) and iWorks as well as more standard things.. with windows you get good apps as well, but often a useless load of crap from the manufactor you bought it do, i've had more than a few companies that have partition my HDD for me so that i can back my data up. yeah cheers i can do that by my self!
ok so incomparisson the build quality is genreally the same, but in some cases Mac is better. the software that comes pre-loaded is debateable, it doesn't matter who has more, it's more about the use-fullness of it. but in the end, buying a Mac laptop, and a Dell laptop with teh same specs, i've seen the dells be more expensive, so don't say that apples are expensive, first understand what you are getting with them before you speak.
Right look at the top of the range Mac laptop, and Top of the range Dell Laptop. Now the Mac comes with, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 17" screen, Backlight keyboard, country kit, superdrive, all the pre-loaded software (iLife ’06 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork ’06, Comic Life, FileMaker Pro Trial, OmniOutliner), webcam, Front Row, built in Bluetooth, Built in Wireless, it has a firewire 800 (nowhere to be seen on any modern PC), 802.11n capable. Now that costs £1,899.00.. similar dell, with webcam, photo editing software (the mac's pre-loaded iPhoto is far superior to anything microsoft has to offer.), installed office proffesional (mac has good quality word processors) and of course the dell matches the apple, and it costs just over £2000, and the only thing better is the graphics card, does that warrent a little over £100? it depends...

Viruses.. mac has under 100 to my knowledge, mainly targeting flaws in Microsoft products that have been relised on Mac, such as the common Macro function in the Office Series. No one can dispute the fact that Windows has a lot of virus's. that would be silly! mainly down to the fact it is the most used OS in the world.

not going to quote anyone, to many people..
Someone mentioned software? yes you can BUY lots of software for the PC, and theres not that much avaliable for the mac.. haha i like that.. thats because there is no need. alot of the Mac applications are cheap to buy, couple of quid, off the internet, and they work great, most applications are free, sharware or donationware. Alot of apps you use on Windows can also be used on Mac, if not, there will be an equivilent if not better one for Mac that is cheaper or free. its just the way it goes.

Linux Vs Mac? whats the point, both built on Unix! anything linux can do, Mac can do to!

and somehow i missed this...
Shiftfallout said:

As for those viruses, looks like you have been watching too many of those false mac vs pc commercials. Truely the PC has at least ten times more applications, games, options, customization, protection and user base than that of a mac. Im not dissing the mac, its just true. Go ahead, goto an electronic store that sells software, tell me how big the PC section is and how big the mac section is. Bingo. Then look at the prices for that software. Bingo again. While macs have less options for apps, games, third party hardware, they also cost a ton more. Bingo!

HAHAHA your funny!
lets not pretend PC's aremore than what they really are.
Yes PC's have a larger user base - does that make them better?
PC's have more applications - are tehy all usefull?
PC's have more games - hahah thats so funny i think i might die, yeah no crap shurlock, Mac's arn't primarily for gaming.
PC's have more Options? - what the.. you sure... what do you even meen, hardware options? maybe, but alot fo virus's are down to miss matches in hardware and the loop holes they provide, thus the lack of hardware options in Mac is actually a good thing :)
Custimization? - o really? i can customize my Mac as much as i want, and you can of your PC as well...
and protection - yeah you need it mate ;)

one of the main reasons the PC seation is bigger than the mac's is because there are more PC users. there are more people in the world that eat meat, that people who solely eat vegitarian food, if you owned a supermarket, would you make each section equal size? no because then you wouldn't be making the profit you could be.

Last edited:
Gaz said:
Viruses.. mac has under 100 to my knowledge, mainly targeting flaws in Microsoft products that have been relised on Mac, such as the common Macro function in the Office Series.
Under 100? Unless I'm missing something, there is Zero for OS X. There are some for classic Mac but not for OS X. There have been a few security issues, but none of them are actually viruses.

Back