Who Will Lead In 2008?

Oops, my fault I didnt mean to say HD DVD, I duno what I was thinking, I meant DVD-DL

and backward compatability really is a big deal. Its supposed to free up space, or allow you to trade it in for atleast some money to help pay for the PS3. Its not nice to have a old PS2 laying around or taking up space. Now my PS2 is sitting on top of a subwoofer speaker for whenever I feel like hitting up some GoW2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

T3kNi9e said:
Oops, my fault I didnt mean to say HD DVD, I duno what I was thinking, I meant DVD-DL

and backward compatability really is a big deal. Its supposed to free up space, or allow you to trade it in for atleast some money to help pay for the PS3. Its not nice to have a old PS2 laying around or taking up space. Now my PS2 is sitting on top of a subwoofer speaker for whenever I feel like hitting up some GoW2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

i just want the backward compatibility to save space on the power strip. i still like playing some of the older ps2 games from time to time, hell i still play NES, SNES, N64, Playstation and Atari 2600 games. haha

kyle

smyth said:
completely agree, i'll be getting PS3 for MGS4, most definitely, an although i don't need the bigger HDD i won't be getting the 40 gig due to the lack of backwards compatibility.... i don't know what they were thinking with that:wtf:

And that is a huge deal, Ive seen tons of parents complaining that they got a ps3 for there kids and it wont play the ps2 games, when they were told it would...
The casual gamer doesnt care about specifics or look at them, console stats wont help you sell... they want it cheep and fun...

One things for Sure no one will underestimate the casual gamer anymore.

ps2 thought it was the top system when really it was just the most popular among the casual gamers... this round it happens to be Wii...

every system will always have the Hardcore market that are dedicated to that system no matter how good or bad it is, and the amount of hardcore is about the same for each system currently...

The more important group to market to is the casual gamer. The hardcore will keep you in buisness, the causal gamer will determin your place in the market...

First off, am i really the only Kingdom hearts fan here? because the only real attraction ps3 has for me right now is kh3. I bought the ps2 for 2 reasons. one, i really don't like the game cube controls. I'm sorry, but i like the controls Nintendo created for the snes. the other reason is that i am a fan of Mario and sonic. i settled for sonic on the cheaper system. But now that Mario AND sonic will always appearer on the Wii, no chance in hell would i settle for the ps3 or the xbox360.

Speaking of which, other then the odd game like luminess, ps3 and xbox 360 games tend to be long lasting names like sim and tony hawk, and fps. I am not a fan of fps, and Nintendo and Sega have always seemed to create the best RPGs, so again, my two favorites are finally together. I can die happy. wait, whats that red dot on my forehead anyway....

Kingdom hearts was too childish for me when I first saw it with disney characters n ****. By that time I didnt even flip to the disney channel. Besides I personally hate those turn-based japan style rpg.

PS3 appeals to me more for like Metal Gear Solid 4. That game is gonna be great.

One factor will define the console sales in 2008. That will be price drops. If Microsoft and Nintendo price drop, Sony will never be able to catch up. However if Nintendo and Microsoft stay where they are and Sony price drops, they could make decent sales. Nintendo could lose #1 to Microsoft if they don't price drop, and the 360 does. Only time will tell.

only specific ps3's have ps2-ps1 backwards compatability issues, its not all of them...

the 20 and 60 gig have little problems playing up to 95% of ps1 ps2 games outta the box, updates will pretty much make these units 100% They have them built into the Hardware

the 40 gig only plays ps1 and the 80 gig will play both with software emulation instead of hardware, But still not as good as the 20 and 60 gig versions... again these are problems im sure filling up a chunk of your harddrive in
the future will fix...

360 is the same way but using emulators to play the older xbox games, the nice thing about this is intime almost all the kinks will be ironed out and im sure you will be able to pay the majority of xbox titles on the 360 with updates...

The Wii is the only True 100% backwards compatibal console this gen outta the box, playing every GC game because it literally has a gamecube attached to the wii... its a seperate hardware source dedicated to playing gamecube...

And even though they considered Backwards Compatability "not a selling point" we are starting to see that backwards compatability is a huge issue with new systems, people want to trade in there old consoles for game cash but still keep a good chuck of there favorite old games while they wait for new ones to come out on there current system...

How are they supose to make are future gen consoles smaller though when we require they keep tossing in our old system with the new? lol think of ps12 its gonna be the size of a fridge... but it will play ps1-12 so people will buy it.. ha ha

wezeles said:
only specific ps3's have ps2-ps1 backwards compatability issues, its not all of them...

the 20 and 60 gig have little problems playing up to 95% of ps1 ps2 games outta the box, updates will pretty much make these units 100% They have them built into the Hardware

the 40 gig only plays ps1 and the 80 gig will play both with software emulation instead of hardware, But still not as good as the 20 and 60 gig versions... again these are problems im sure filling up a chunk of your harddrive in
the future will fix...

360 is the same way but using emulators to play the older xbox games, the nice thing about this is intime almost all the kinks will be ironed out and im sure you will be able to pay the majority of xbox titles on the 360 with updates...

The Wii is the only True 100% backwards compatibal console this gen outta the box, playing every GC game because it literally has a gamecube attached to the wii... its a seperate hardware source dedicated to playing gamecube...

And even though they considered Backwards Compatability "not a selling point" we are starting to see that backwards compatability is a huge issue with new systems, people want to trade in there old consoles for game cash but still keep a good chuck of there favorite old games while they wait for new ones to come out on there current system...

How are they supose to make are future gen consoles smaller though when we require they keep tossing in our old system with the new? lol think of ps12 its gonna be the size of a fridge... but it will play ps1-12 so people will buy it.. ha ha

The game sales have just came in for the systems and the PS3 is dead last. It's a blue ray player right now. Then on top of that if you have paid for all this expensive stuff then that means you are now super picky with what you will play on it. Crysis and games like it are a result of this super picky tech savy player. Not many people can play it yet that guy that spent 2,000+ on a custom box is mostly going to play this game and others on the huge monitor. If you ever talk to a HD gamer that owns an HD system you will get the same attitude. It has to be at this level tech wise or they just won't like it. I understand alittle yet I also know this idea of not playing stuff unless it LOOKS like it took a lot of MONEY to make is bad. I want a game that LOOKs like it took a lot of imagination to make.

Oyeah the VC thing is great and I await future neo geo games. People still love 2d yet it's up to the new developers to remind the publishers why. I mean most ds games are 2d and even NSMB crushed the new galaxies. It's the label of retro gaming that has been programmed into the younger and the older gamers.

Nintendo got some much right with this console. This is coming from some one who is building a PC with 8 gigs of ram soon! Yes I will be playing games on this beast! Yet some where along the line the tech lost it's shock and awe and is mostly there to meet a certain out put. It will never make gaming any more fun than good old creativity and also the tech is still very limited and you can not fully do what you are capable of doing with current consoles. zbrush using about 9 million polygons to make a normal map and if some how we could have 2 million per character then things would be on the verge of having too much graphical power.

I digress yet

The Wii will be fine and the key really is bring new players as in new developers into the development scene. Lots of talent was lost during the PS transition.

You have to look at why the Wii is number one. Game development costs, game prices are staggering/outofcontrol. Most game companies repeat, recycle, and retard any advancement in gameplay. Fans will go to dog feces. Consumers will go to their money's worth, not just consumers but game companies too.

Back