Why are we not bored of Mario?

Thats easy, mario is a good character who's games have great appeal and design. Unlike what the article said, its not the same thing ever time, each game is different from the last in MANY ways. Nintendo just sometimes re-ports their games so people can buy them, like super mario worlds 1-4 for advance, and the new super mario bros was just a new game based off those games for more people to get into mario. Mario's sorta Nintendo's logo, and we aren't getting bored of him, because his games are GOOD. Thats why. We got bored of people like spyro and rayman because their games are getting boring and old, so no one really talks about them anymore...

Warrior said:
His argument applies to almost everygame i can think of. A franchise reaches a "terminal velocity" and stops creating new things. With SMG, Mario has proved that, he has still kept everything he had, but gave them a twist. and thats what he always does.

Much like tourism industry. It rises up to stagnation and then reaches the decline or rejuvenation.

*raises hand*

I'm sick of Mario.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything myself related to Mario that ISN'T his main platform series. And I know you're going to point at Paper Mario in my sig - it was a gift *NYAH*. I am old enough to have played the original Mario on NES when it came out, so that could have something to do with it.

I'm sorry, but Mario's become a cameo-whore :yesnod:

well thats the thing they argument saying its the same everytime ,but we know hes been in over 200 games...
ok well how many are based on saving the princess... maybe a dozen? including handhelds

and he has been around for over 23 years... thats one game every 2 years on average... and that time line just keeps getting spread farther and farther apart they give mario fans one one of each style "besides party won't argue they over do that" per console.... so if you only like the original style game you gotta wait 5 years for another one to come out that also goes for Mario paper,kart,smash all of them... with 5 years or more between each title, and a new console to play your favorite game on with a twist... of course they are gonna keep mario alive...

Thats just smart buisness, the next generation picks it up and plays if... Same reason Disney releases a movie only every 7 years from the vault for DVD sales.... if you have to much of something all the time its worthless to everyone... But wait a god amount of time and even though its already been around "its new all over again to many" And disney doesn't Change the movies at all...lol

The guy who wrote the article "not on this site" is a HALO poster boy when you look at him... of course he hates mario, hes killing the xbox one fun game at a time...

That would be like me ranting about Halo, but i dont rant abou it its an awsome game i still play it once in a while myself.... maybe its because halo doesnt threaten my system? who knows but i think the kid needs some therapy

i dont see how you people think mario is repetitive. the only thing i see thats the really the same is the story. who cares about that. no one buys a mario game for the story.

In the original quote. the person said in the last paragraph that mario games always have the same puzzles and stuff like that. seems to me this person has never played a mario game before. mario is a platformer, which means that the game is about overcoming obsticals. you cant tell me that the obsticals are the same in every game and even if they are in some level they are organised in different and very interesting way.

why dont people get bored of mario? well because he comes up with something new every time, even though its always to save peach.

After reading the initial post, I had quite a few things I was going to say.

But wezeles pretty much summed up every feeling I have had on the topic.

I have been playing Mario games since Donkey Kong back in the arcades on through the NES, SNES, N64, etc versions. I don't get tired of them, because for the most part, each new game brings SOMETHING new.

It really is hard to be innovative anymore. Almost everything has been done and done to death. But Mario seems to bring JUST enough to keep me coming back for more.

Couldn't be bothered reading all that! But people aren't bored because its a winning formula. Paper Mario gives you traditional Mario with a twist and Galaxy is keeping up with the times.

Budo said:
*raises hand*

I'm sick of Mario.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything myself related to Mario that ISN'T his main platform series. And I know you're going to point at Paper Mario in my sig - it was a gift *NYAH*. I am old enough to have played the original Mario on NES when it came out, so that could have something to do with it.

I'm sorry, but Mario's become a cameo-whore :yesnod:

I agree with this post. His platformer games manage to stay interesting and innovative, which is why most never get bored with him. But mario has touched upon almost every genre of game so far more than once. The biggest offender is Mario Party. I'm not saying his spinoffs are bad games, cause most of them aren't, such as Paper Mario and Super Smash Bros., but Nintendo has overused him in many games. Now one would argue that this is done to appeal to every genre of gamer and for variety, but then why doesn't Nintendo just create new franchises of those genres instead of slapping Mario on it?

Last edited:
you'd have to be an amish demon to not enjoy super mario galaxy.

Meh, I get bored of it sometimes but most games come out in completely different ways or have some little thing that make it different from the last. Most of all, Nintendo knows how to market, revive and sustain their characters.

Some people are saying that their are other games getting repetitive also, while some are dismissing the notion that mario is repetitive and saying its not. Some are basically saying people still like it "just cause"

People know other games are getting repetitive and when they do you always see complaints saying the game sucks or brings nothing new. But the article is about why Mario brings the same things over and over yet people give it a sort of "pass" when it comes to repetitiveness.

Some people are saying he's an xbox fanboy, when he clearly said himself he likes the game, but was not pissing on himself like 95% of Wii fanboys when playing it. So why is it people like to say "Ohh, he's just a xbox lover and he hates Mario" what a bunch of bullshit, how about coming up with a real response instead of attacking the writer.

Please, tell me why is it that I dont enjoy SMG as much as you guys? I played all the mario platformers and SM64 was the last one to be really fun. Is it because im a "fanboy"? I dont like repetitive games, which is why I did not get all hyper like a 6 year old boy and go buy Halo 3 when it was released. The only reason im going to play Halo 3 (im going to burrow, not rent or buy) is to finish the story in the Halo trilogy.

Also comparing it to Disneys old movies that are released yet still selling. Like The Lion King and Beauty in the Beast, etc. Is not a real arguement, because those movies sell because of the parents who buy them for the kids. If I had a son or daughter and I saw those classic movies that I liked when I was a kid, of course ill buy it for my little kids. Which btw movies getting old does not make them obsolete. But a movie thats just like the older one is repetitive and tends to get bad critic reviews.

Anyway, some of you made some good responses, but some others made some stupid ones as if you really didn't have an answer to the article besides attacking the writer or other games.

Don't really see the point in arguing about this, isnt this like a "each their own" kinda thing? some get bored of the games while others enjoy it more?

Lastking23 said:
Don't really see the point in arguing about this, isnt this like a "each their own" kinda thing? some get bored of the games while others enjoy it more?

i second that. some people might mario games repetitive, while others dont. personally i dont find them repetitve at all. and when i say this im only talking about the platformers.

:p whoever posted this thing is stupid.

mario can even be A BIT repetitive but it has soo many different things...sports,rpg,2D,3D,multi player games,everything but guns :p
if you want blood then simply chang textures so mario bleeds when he takes hit(LULZ).
w will neveer get bored of him because he is fun and has too many different things for us to get bored.

Back